Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just go look at the class rankings. It shows you how many 3* vs 4* and 5* every team has committed.

Every team in the top 10, with the exception of UT (we’re now 11th so every team in the top 10), has more blue chip recruits committed than 3*. Their ratios are not like UT’s

Yeah, and they can all look back in 3-4 years to find out if they got their 4 stars from the 20% that validated their ratings by being drafted or the 80% that got passed by the lowly 3 stars that got drafted when they did not.

Take a look for yourself

Yeah, and they can all look back in 3-4 years to find out if they got their 4 stars from the 20% that validated their ratings by being drafted or the 80% that got passed by the lowly 3 stars that got drafted when they did not.

Take a look for yourself

I feel like I should state again that I love our class.

The convo was simply about blue chip ratio of the top 10

I’d still take him due to the potential but I do hope he has solved some of his off-field issues. I don’t think he’s ever been in trouble or anything (as far as I know) but I know he’s had some “I better be the starter or I’m leaving” type drama in the past.
He got recruited over by a 5* freshman who is expected to be an early first rounder. So he hit the portal. That is exactly what everyone always thought would happen in the portal. It's why we were hoping all along to find a RB in the portal.

Well check this out for the last three years.... compliments of ON3

• TOTAL
    2020-2022
    DRAFTED 776

• 5-STARS

DRAFTED 61 out of 101

4-STARS

DRAFTED 264 out of 1244

3-STARS

DRAFTED 359 of 5610

2-STARS

DRAFTED 92 out of 2180

SO 450 2 and 3 star guys passed those valuable 4 stars

Neither category is validated by this data. Counting all the guys with a pulse as 3 stars to skew the data does not work when nearly 1000 4 star winners get passed by the lower star groups.

Talented 4 stars and talented 3 stars and talented 2 stars are the real target and get drafted.

Where someone is drafted is irrelevant when comparing that to potential out of HS.

He got recruited over by a 5* freshman who is expected to be an early first rounder. So he hit the portal. That is exactly what everyone always thought would happen in the portal. It's why we were hoping all along to find a RB in the portal.
More concerning is the marked decrease in his stats after he became THE GUY.

Star ratings will never matter as much as what they do when they make it to the field of play.

I would love to have my staff's analysis validated by the ratings services, but I am not going to concede a player has a ceiling because he has not been decorated PRIMARILY for his performance up through his Jr. year in HS with a portion with some camp experiences. The creme of the crop are physically gifted and with good work habits have a shot at being difference makers on the field. But heck, if you look at the link I provided above only 60 or so out of 100 or so 5 STARS over the last three drafts got drafted. That shocked me maybe more than only 20% of the 4 stars over that 3 year period. More 2&3 stars got drafted than 4 stars with 1000 still on the board and available.

That said I think that the say top 30 type teams are picking from a much better subset of each star group and sign kids based on their own evaluations not the stars. Just like the pros who they say will find you no matter where you play, college coaches with their networks can too, and then get see them up close and personal before they commit. The Bama's and GA's may win some guys we really value, but that does not mean our backup plans are inferior, may be, but their guys have to prove it and so do ours. Way too many development variables alone to assume stars establish a ceiling on 17-18 year olds, any of them. So if we are going to close ground we need to hit on a higher % of our 4 stars and mine the services misses out of the lower star groups that the draft proves are out there. It is possible to gain ground on the total talent level of your squad vs those above you while still losing the star battles. Who knows the real impact of ONE TIME and the secondary market it creates going forward.

So, bottom line I want to see how this staffs selections from all the star groups pan out before I assess any class and project victory or defeat. I really really like multiple 3 stars on our current board.

Reactions: hooter vol
The professor who allegedly mocked and derided students (in this case, players) in their classroom and incorporated the insults into classroom curriculum? Absolutely.

He's obviously a fed up fan but I doubt any players were in his class. That said, I'm not sure I buy that it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back