Andy Staples Question in Broader Article

SNAFU

If you could admit to paying $59,598 in hotel charges, nail salon visits and brunches that your organization wasn’t supposed to pay for so your organization might clear out a failing administration and save as much as $12.6 million on the back end, would you do it?

With all the positive things we can now see happening with our footVOL program today I'd have to say YES!

We now have a MUCH better and more experienced AD than we've had in many years so that's a serious WIN for us.

Our head footVOL coach, at this point, also seems MUCH better and I believe that when we get more WINS and that the useless NCAA garbage is totally over that our recruiting will also get MUCH better too.

VFL...GBO!!!

A thought struck me yesterday, and I hate that a thought such as this would run through my moronic brain; Tennessee fired Fulmer ten years after winning a National Championship, and because of an uprising among fans, winds up as athletics director, hires an assistant coach from Saban's tree, and does so knowing the coach is not a capable coach, with a little pay back in mind for the U of T. Crazy, ain't it?

A thought struck me yesterday, and I hate that a thought such as this would run through my moronic brain; Tennessee fired Fulmer ten years after winning a National Championship, and because of an uprising among fans, winds up as athletics director, hires an assistant coach from Saban's tree, and does so knowing the coach is not a capable coach, with a little pay back in mind for the U of T. Crazy, ain't it?
I understand the mindset but I truly believe Fulmer loves TN as much as anyone. He was simply in over his head. He coudn't hire. Heck Clausen was a prime example prior to the disaster we recently saw.

Edit- I misread OP post so deleted my comment

Last edited:
Yeah...completely insane. Fulmer wanted to bring football back to national prominence more than anything because that would be the ultimate proof (to him) that they should've never fired him. There's no way he wanted to tank the program.

Yeah...completely insane. Fulmer wanted to bring football back to national prominence more than anything because that would be the ultimate proof (to him) that they should've never fired him. There's no way he wanted to tank the program.
Yeah, that was my thought process to begin with as well. Just some random crazy thought through my old brain.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I understand the mindset but I truly believe Fulmer loves TN as much as anyone. He was simply in over his head. He coudn't hire. Heck Clausen was a prime example prior to the disaster we recently saw.

Agree. But we are all human and I’m confident Fulmer thought “this is what you get” b/t time he was fired and becoming AD. He left with anger as did Coach Chavis. Every coach thinks “one more year” is the year to turn things around.

However, I truly think he wanted to restore the program to greatness as AD.

He just made what should have been a solid hire, but Pruitt was less equipped in his heart to be a head coach. The vetting was inadequate, but our honest list of men who would take the job and were suitable was extremely short when we got outmaneuvered for Mullen.

He just made what should have been a solid hire, but Pruitt was less equipped in his heart to be a head coach. The vetting was inadequate, but our honest list of men who would take the job and were suitable was extremely short when we got outmaneuvered for Mullen.
He took a shot with a Saban disciple who had the same sort of football philosophy that he did. Control the clock, rely on the running game and have a tough defense. How many other schools or pro teams have tried to hire off of the Saban or Belichick coaching tree? How many have been successful? A lot less than have failed. Not only did our hire fail, he failed spectacularly with the way he broke the rules. That’s the most Tennessee thing ever. I get what Fulmer did, I know he loves Tennessee, but he failed and in a weird way I’m glad Pruitt failed and we have the house cleaned. We needed a new identity and fresh start . White and Heupel certainly have done that so far.

He took a shot with a Saban disciple who had the same sort of football philosophy that he did. Control the clock, rely on the running game and have a tough defense. How many other schools or pro teams have tried to hire off of the Saban or Belichick coaching tree? How many have been successful? A lot less than have failed. Not only did our hire fail, he failed spectacularly with the way he broke the rules. That’s the most Tennessee thing ever. I get what Fulmer did, I know he loves Tennessee, but he failed and in a weird way I’m glad Pruitt failed and we have the house cleaned. We needed a new identity and fresh start . White and Heupel certainly have done that so far.
It does play out like Hernando Cortes landing his tiny army on the coast of Mexico. He burned their ships and the men had to fight every battle to the death, because if they were inadequate to the challenge of defeating a great empire, they all died on the sacrifice table on top of an Aztec temple.
Danny White was our leader going toward a better future and new identity. We still have to fight a lot of battles, but we have the correct man in charge for the first time in almost 20 years.

Huh? Are you suggesting that Fulmer sabotaged the program he built by hiring Pruitt? Yea, that is a ridiculous thought.

Is he accusing Tennessee of setting Pruitt up to get rid of him?
No, I think he's trying to say it's totally worth it, though.

And he might even be implying that the UT administration might not have been so open and proactive about it if there hadn't been such a strong upside. But I don't think that's true, and I don't think he really meant to say that.

The Pruitt hire was a calculated gamble. Unfortunately it came up snake eyes. The school should have never let the situation get so bad that we felt we had to take that sort of gamble. Not absolving Fulmer of his bad decision but a lot of pundits and commentators actually had pretty good things to say about the hire at the time. We shouldn’t pretend like EVERYONE saw the disaster coming

The Pruitt hire was a calculated gamble. Unfortunately it came up snake eyes. The school should have never let the situation get so bad that we felt we had to take that sort of gamble. Not absolving Fulmer of his bad decision but a lot of pundits and commentators actually had pretty good things to say about the hire at the time. We shouldn’t pretend like EVERYONE saw the disaster coming
I mean our choices were a kiddy diddle denier and the only dead branch of the Saban coaching tree.
so happy the Admin is restored and coaches across all Vol sports are excellent. Exciting times ahead!!

Phillip is just not a very smart guy. He is a decent man and definitely very loyal to the people that work under him but he's just honestly not very smart. He saw in Pruitt himself, what with a surprise kid they both had as 21 year olds. He generally only likes people that sound exactly like him because he thinks he can trust them. That's usually a sign of someone that can't see very far past themselves, and that's not good. When he brought in Clawson (maybe forced) he fired him like Majors fired guys. Clawson was both a bad fit AND sounded wrong to Phil.

For what it's worth, Pruitt probably hated UT but thought he could use us, and both Fulmer and Majors had absolute loyalty to it, just one was smart and had demons and the other just wasn't all that smart.

I knew all that from my grandaddy in 1992, who knew both and said as much then, God rest his soul.

Phillip is just not a very smart guy. He is a decent man and definitely very loyal to the people that work under him but he's just honestly not very smart. He saw in Pruitt himself, what with a surprise kid they both had as 21 year olds. He generally only likes people that sound exactly like him because he thinks he can trust them. That's usually a sign of someone that can't see very far past themselves, and that's not good. When he brought in Clawson (maybe forced) he fired him like Majors fired guys. Clawson was both a bad fit AND sounded wrong to Phil.

For what it's worth, Pruitt probably hated UT but thought he could use us, and both Fulmer and Majors had absolute loyalty to it, just one was smart and had demons and the other just wasn't all that smart.

I knew all that from my grandaddy in 1992, who knew both and said as much then, God rest his soul.
Majors might have had something to say on that „loyalty“ claim 😉

Reactions: dduncan4163
Well now I'm posting which I don't do, and drinking which I always do..

Phil is not a nefarious character trying to bring down the program. Phil wrestled the program away because he had support (Dickey and the Haslems) and honestly believed he could do better. He actually did.

He should have never been made AD. He never knew how to hire anyone, and that should have been obvious but that was a terrible year with really weak terrible people in charge.

Needless to say, all of them are gone, including the gump spy sent here to drive the last nail. We move on, and be glad that there appears to be a future.

I make no accusations against Schiano and he is innocent of all innuendo as far as anyone knows.
I just didn't want him.
I don't feel like any Vols fan has to say more than that about the matter.
To make pedophile accusations and implicate a probably innocent man is a bad look.
But that doesn't mean Pat Forde is correct.
His hot take is garbage and he is garbage.
I am quite sure he is a far far worse person than Greg Schiano is.
He is just dredging up the incident to get his pound of Big Orange flesh.

Reactions: EastOrange#GBI

VN Store

Back