Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
Interesting post about Capri I, II, III, and IV from cinematreasures dot org. Before the first Capri, it was The Pike Theater and expanded for the original Capri.

tntim on June 17, 2014 at 8:04 am
Walter Morris who owned the original Capri Cinema, (former Pike Theatre), used the money from the sale of the Lenox,(former Tower Theatre) to build the first Cinerama Theatre in Knoxville. The new theatre was built on the west side of the Capri. Morris leased the Capri Cinema to the Simpson Operating Company who also leased the Lenox from Morris until TDOT took the land for the reconfiguration of Broadway. Simpson would also lease and operate the new Capri-70. At that point, Simpson was operating the Capri Cinema, Capri-70, and the Riviera which was downtown.
The Capri-70 opened on November 23, 1967 and had 709 seats. It is a Stran-Steel structure that measured 80’ wide x 160’ long and is 48’ high at the eves. The auditorium was designed to meet the specification of Cinerama with the screen 35’ high and 72’ across the front of the theater—it was curved, and if you stood down in the center, it was 21 feet into the screen. The lenses were special ground by Bausch & Lomb in California, just for that particular theatre. It was just as sharp from one side to the other and had six-track stereophonic sound.
The theatre was twined in 1985 with one side seating 500 and the other side 178. At this time the name was changed to the Capri Cinema III & IV.
On July 1, 1987 United Artists leased the theatre from the Simpson Operating Company. It then became a Regal theatre in January 1991 after the Regal/ UA merger. The entire Capri complex closed on September 29, 1992 after Regal and Simpson were unable to negotiate a new lease.
As Joe mentioned, this complex is hard to place in a category. Both Capri’s were freestanding buildings built side by side. They were not like todays multiplex which are single structures with two or more auditoriums inside. To make it even more complex, Simpson dropped the “70” from the name in December 1978 and the whole complex became simply the Capri Cinema. In 1993, the original Capri Cinema was demolished except for the rear 25% which is used for storage and the Capri-70 was completely gutted inside to accommodate the new art gallery.
So I guess there will always be a little confusion here on CT as to which theatre is which. Sorry Mike, “The Taming of the Shrew” and “A Shot in the Dark” both played prior to Nov. 1967 and should be posted on the Capri I & II page. I have also posted a newspaper article in the photo section.

B8522FDB-C927-42D6-BC0A-2A0A9A45D52A.png

Kingston 4 was directly across from Rice Olds and Bearden High School.

View attachment 471264
That is the one that I was thinking of, and if you can imagine there was West Hills Trailer park on the same side of the road right before Robbies Pancake house and then the
theater was just past Robbies Pancake house and I lived in West Hills Trailer park and worked at Robbies Pancake House, which is now O'Charley's.

Reactions: Ted
Maybe Robbie’s. The GIS maps have a huge gap. 1969 until 1985. If the Robbie’s building was still there in 1985 it might be the one just east of O’Charlie’s (on the corner). Blockbuster video was right there in the 1980s. There was also a country and western bar. Maybe called Sam Houston’s.

90770A19-76AE-4ABF-9855-A86A8DEF31CB.png

Reactions: Vjcvette
Maybe Robbie’s. The GIS maps have a huge gap. 1969 until 1985. If the Robbie’s building was still there in 1985 it might be the one just east of O’Charlie’s (on the corner). Blockbuster video was right there in the 1980s. There was also a country and western bar. Maybe called Sam Houston’s.

View attachment 471325
The best that I remember, they actually just used part of the Robbies Pancake building and also remodeled and used it for O'Charley's

Yep I think that I must have seen the "Rocky Horror Picture show" at the Kingston 4
In the late 80s, they used to run late shows of Rocky Horror at the Terrace Taphouse in Homberg, went to a bunch myself. They may have shown it at Kingston 4 as well but I don't specifically remember that.

I think Kingston 4 was struggling by the time the 90s rolled around. With the new Cineplex Odeon showplace in Cedar Bluff, plus Downtown West adding 4 more screens, I think Kingston 4 just couldn't compete anymore. And honestly, it was getting pretty ratty at that point. I remember there being the occasional movie where my wife and I would go, "Ugh, it's only playing at the Kingston, oh well...." It had a bit of a smell as I recall....

In the late 80s, they used to run late shows of Rocky Horror at the Terrace Taphouse in Homberg, went to a bunch myself. They may have shown it at Kingston 4 as well but I don't specifically remember that.

I think Kingston 4 was struggling by the time the 90s rolled around. With the new Cineplex Odeon showplace in Cedar Bluff, plus Downtown West adding 4 more screens, I think Kingston 4 just couldn't compete anymore. And honestly, it was getting pretty ratty at that point. I remember there being the occasional movie where my wife and I would go, "Ugh, it's only playing at the Kingston, oh well...." It had a bit of a smell as I recall....

I forgot about that theater south of I-40, east of Cedsr Bluff. Behind Lowe’s. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie there.

I forgot about that theater south of I-40, east of Cedsr Bluff. Behind Lowe’s. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie there.

WE lived in that area around 2005 to 2011. That theater had all the good movies not on the multi screen locations. WE probably watched at least 50% of the movies we saw(25-30/yr) there. The other theaters show the same 6-10 movies. Big budget, big advertising films.
It also still had large screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD

I went there shortly after it was built, in fact a friend of mine had to screw all of those seats down when they were building it and I actually went to the Rocky Horror Picture show with him and he got up set
with everyone throwing rice and everything else and he just threw his whole coke.......RIP Tommy, I mentioned him in the RIP thread because I just recently found out that he passed away.

Let’s quiz him on the Lillie Mae Cain trust.

Nope. I don’t know much about that area. I ate at the Pizza Hut a couple of times. I looked at some used cars around there. One was a white Porsche 924 with red and blue stripes. Got thrown out of that country bar around O’Charley’s with the balcony over the dance floor. Met up with a crazy woman at O’Charley’s about 20 years ago. Bought a sweater at TJ MAXX. Drove past Robbie’s a few hundred times but never ate there. Went to a bachelor party at the Family Inn (I think that 3rd Rate Romance was written about that one rather than the one at KP and Northshore). Ate dinner at Doodle’s once with Dad but it might not have been called Doodle’s yet - or maybe it was. It was a fairly fancy Knoxville restaurant before becoming the disco bar. I remember when the shopping center west of the DTW Mr Gattis was a gravel parking lot. I never ate at Swenson’s. I did do donuts in the gravel parking lot.

Third rate romance was written about the Econolodge on Chapman Hwy. “Fancy restaurant” was the Ruby Tuesday on 20th. WROL was on White Ave.

“Family Inn”

When they left the bar they got in his car and they drove away
He drove to the family inn She didnt even have to pretend she
Didnt know what for
And then he went to the desk and made his request while she
Waited outside
He came back with the key and she said give it to me and I'll
Unlock the door
She kept saying I've never really done this kind of thing before
Have you

VN Store