Will the SEC seek to expand now?

I dont get the hate for expansion, depending on the teams.

Our fans typically liked playing a PAC 10/Big 12 school every once and a while. Why does it ruin the sport now that one could join our conference, and we still play them every once and a while. Just it's an unconference game.

What's bad about Ohio State playing USC? That would draw plenty of eyes, conference or no. UCLA vs Rutgers draws more than UCLA vs Bowling Green, South Alabama, or Alabama State. Or Rutgers Wagner State or Temple.

You can maintain the traditional games by adding more conference games. And then you are just getting more quality games about a more diverse group.

Our fans typically liked playing a PAC 10/Big 12 school every once and a while. Why does it ruin the sport now that one could join our conference, and we still play them every once and a while. Just it's an unconference game.

What's bad about Ohio State playing USC? That would draw plenty of eyes, conference or no. UCLA vs Rutgers draws more than UCLA vs Bowling Green, South Alabama, or Alabama State. Or Rutgers Wagner State or Temple.

You can maintain the traditional games by adding more conference games. And then you are just getting more quality games about a more diverse group.

I am mixed about it.

It is fun seeing new schools and getting new matchups in our league or other leagues but it sucks for teams left behind.

You dilute the conference and destroy traditional rivalries. What good does it do to have 20 teams in a conference if it takes 5-8 years to play them all? I would have rather seen the P5 conferences remain intact and agree that they will only play each other in OOC games, no more cupcakes.

Reactions: igotworms

UCLA vs Rutgers will likely draw Rutgers fans, some curious outsiders and the parents of UCLA athletes.

Reactions: tbwhhs
It is fake. ACC GOR is too great. I think some of those teams (especially Clemson and FSU) want in the SEC but I don't think it is happening anytime soon.

If 8 teams decide to leave then there is no league and no GOR.

UNC and Clemson and maybe even Virginia and VT would add some spice to the conference...We wold get that natural rivalry with UNC and the Virginia schools which could get fun...Plus those are some dynamite basketball schools so that wold add to the excitement.

This. I’m all for UT having rivalries with Va. Tech and Virginia. They are easy drives from East TN. Would also not oppose UNC, NC St. or Wake Forest.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLnMiami and oz615
I am mixed about it.

It is fun seeing new schools and getting new matchups in our league or other leagues but it sucks for teams left behind.
And that was the case back in the day when the SEC was formed, and shed teams over the years.

You dilute the conference and destroy traditional rivalries. What good does it do to have 20 teams in a conference if it takes 5-8 years to play them all? I would have rather seen the P5 conferences remain intact and agree that they will only play each other in OOC games, no more cupcakes.
Do you still enjoy watching Tennessee football even though we dont play Auburn every year? What about playing Florida every year? Net loss too?

Reactions: volsfan125
In this crazy new world, the SEC would be wise to lock up…in no particular order…FSU, Clemson, VT and Virginia.

Miami can go rot in hell. ☠️😇
Would take Duke- UNC over the Virginia teams, and yes I know this is driven by football, but Hokie football has done dried up

Reactions: tbwhhs
Do you still enjoy watching Tennessee football even though we dont play Auburn every year? What about playing Florida every year? Net loss too?

I do miss playing the Barn every year, don’t want to give up UF or the Gumps as yearly games. Keeping the conference at 14 and the P5 just agreeing to only each other as OOC games is the best of both worlds.

but NC State's football stadium is a great place for tailgating!
Too many people are getting hung up on just the field part and not paying enough attention to Fanbase numbers demographics city location and overall draw for television. For example so many people say oh UCLA USC Los Angeles big 10 blah blah and as we all know Los Angeles as a whole doesn’t give a sh$t about football!

Reactions: Pappy
This. I’m all for UT having rivalries with Va. Tech and Virginia. They are easy drives from East TN. Would also not oppose UNC, NC St. or Wake Forest.
I’m of the position that Tennessee should drop every game each year of what fans think of as a rival but the other school doesn’t think of us as a rival. Tennessee fans need to get over their inferiority complex. We’re the only fan base and administration that’s dumb enough to say oh we need to play Bama Georgia Florida every year but nobody else does!

I’m of the position that Tennessee should drop every game each year of what fans think of as a rival but the other school doesn’t think of us as a rival. Tennessee fans need to get over their inferiority complex. We’re the only fan base and administration that’s dumb enough to say oh we need to play Bama Georgia Florida every year but nobody else does!

I love our rivalries with Florida, Georgia, and Bama because of tradition. I’d love to see geographic rivalries with Va. Tech or UNC. Imagine basketball games if UNC came to the SEC!

I love our rivalries with Florida, Georgia, and Bama because of tradition. I’d love to see geographic rivalries with Va. Tech or UNC. Imagine basketball games if UNC came to the SEC!
I like the games with them but we are not their rival is the point you are missing! Actually Georgia and Florida are not rivals because historically we do not play them regularly, therefore we should not continue to play the regularly as expansion moves forward because it puts us at a greater disadvantage than the other teams because having Bama always on the schedule! Definitely adding all of Virginia and North Carolina to the SEC would be fantastic! I don’t believe Clemson will add much long-term and the only reason to take the Hurricanes is because of Miami media market!

Last edited:
Reactions: headhunter15
With a lot of family living in southwest Virginia would love to see more games between us and va tech. However think sec expansion of adding schools in the midatlantic region hurts tennessee more than other sec schools as it will be harder to pull these kids to Tennessee. If a kid who lives in Maryland, Virginia, or North Carolina wants the notoriety of playing in the sec Tennessee is very attractive due to location. Only South Carolina really is in the vicinity and they can’t compete with our resources. However adding uva, unc, va tech makes us less competitive imo. Think that expanding with fsu and Miami would actually be more advantageous to us as now schools like Florida and auburn would have more competition for some players in their region. However maybe NIL money now negates some of these geographical considerations players have had.

With a lot of family living in southwest Virginia would love to see more games between us and va tech. However think sec expansion of adding schools in the midatlantic region hurts tennessee more than other sec schools as it will be harder to pull these kids to Tennessee. If a kid who lives in Maryland, Virginia, or North Carolina wants the notoriety of playing in the sec Tennessee is very attractive due to location. Only South Carolina really is in the vicinity and they can’t compete with our resources. However adding uva, unc, va tech makes us less competitive imo. Think that expanding with fsu and Miami would actually be more advantageous to us as now schools like Florida and auburn would have more competition for some players in their region. However maybe NIL money now negates some of these geographical considerations players have had.
Good points from a historical fan perspective however the kids playing football either don’t care or don’t even know about such things.

The "magic" numbers for expansion are 16, 18, 20 and 24

Odd numbers are definitely out. After 12 members- as we see now even numbers are not enough. Numbers divisible by 4 or 6 to make scheduling far easier. 18 is not a "clean" an number as 16 or 20 as it's not divisible by 4.

24 is the "super number"
Four groups of 6
Six groups of 4
Three groups of 8
Two groups of 12
None of these groups would have odd numbers

20 works well because of the odd number at 4/5 level as five teams in a pod/subdivision means and even 4 games within the group (2 home/2 away) Leaving plenty of games within conference.

I abhor the idea of 9 conference games. HATE it. Would prefer to see them league skip to 10 games to assure the same number of home/away games for all teams- especially if the SEC forces the neutral site games to go away. (UF/GA; TX/OK; etc)

12 games. 10 conference games. 2 against FBS opponents only (preferably 1 road/1 away or neutral)

I like the concept of four- 20 team conferences. 80 teams
Those 80 teams have complete autonomy over their rules including scholarship limits, officiating pool, membership requirements, and championships. Schools wishing to join the EIGHTY position the conferences and not the NCAA.
And why not institute a "relegation" provisions. Schools not meeting requirements (wins, attendance, grad rates, money spent on athletics, etc) are relegated out of the Eighty and replaced by next school in line. Would weed out the "hammock class" in each conference that soaks in the conference money while doing little for the student athletes or growing their sport.

The EIGHTY would be be the EIGHTY in all sports. Meaning separate championships for all sports.

We'll call it the "Collegiate Premiere League". It may take leaving the NCAA to get this done but would also prevent the NCAA from being sued by the lesser members trying to open the door for themselves.

I mean, if geographic areas don't really matter any longer, I'd say make a run at Stanford for the SEC. And add Oregon to get to the 20. Two solid schools with good history, markets and income across the board.

You want to create a super conference of 24 teams? Add:

Clemson (Speaks for itself)
Miami (history, income)
Notre Dame (while the Big 10 is a better fit for them historically and geographically, they would jump at the chance to be in the SEC)

And just because such a conference would be rolling in an Olympic sized pool of cash, add one of the military academies from a prestige point of view. USAFA, Navy or Army adds the educational value as well as the brand recognition... and probably on the same competitive edge as Vandy or Mizzou.

I mean, if geographic areas don't really matter any longer, I'd say make a run at Stanford for the SEC. And add Oregon to get to the 20. Two solid schools with good history, markets and income across the board.

You want to create a super conference of 24 teams? Add:

Clemson (Speaks for itself)
Miami (history, income)
Notre Dame (while the Big 10 is a better fit for them historically and geographically, they would jump at the chance to be in the SEC)

And just because such a conference would be rolling in an Olympic sized pool of cash, add one of the military academies from a prestige point of view. USAFA, Navy or Army adds the educational value as well as the brand recognition... and probably on the same competitive edge as Vandy or Mizzou.

Why would Notre Dame jump at the chance to be in our league? That’s first I’ve ever heard of that .

VN Store

Back