Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about FSU. I know they are an iconic brand, but they don't really have the money to compete in the ACC anymore. How in the world would they compete in the SEC? If it happens I get it from a branding stand point, but competitively they don't belong.

This was going to be my next thought experiment. If the Pac 12 chooses just 2 teams (would be smart to grab 4) to replace you have to think these are the top G5 candidates:
BYU
Boise
Hawaii
NM St
UNLV
CO St
Air Force

Would they dare look at some Texas schools? SMU? Maybe try to poach a Big 12 school like TCU or Texas Tech?
I could see Oregon and Washington leaving to join the BIG 12.
Remember there were alot of issues with the PAC 12 because of COVID. Wonder if that had anything to due with USC and UCLA leaving.

Reactions: SoilVol
Quite a Gamble by Proctor. Guess he just felt the Gain and Bounty to be Head and Shoulders above the Tide.
Iowa has an elite track record of OL at the next level. That and the home field advantage factor…?

And yes I got the soap opera sponsor reference. 😏

Everything is about the money. Every decision is made to maximize revenue. Schools are reprioritizing facility renovations based on what configurations will bring in more revenue. Networks select game times and matchups to maximize TV dollars. If ESPN wants to stack games from 9 AM to 2 AM to provide multi-channel live entertainment, schools go along with it, with the less desirable teams and matchups playing early in the AM or late at night.

Everything from venue seating to programming to value-added memberships are being tiered to bring in more money. More and more programming will be shifted to add-on tiers to force viewers to upgrade packages at a higher cost. Premium seating is sold as "a greater fan experience" but it's really just a way to boost the bottom line by providing a few amenities. If selling a membership can create multiple revenue streams from a single fan, then there will be buy-in and annual fees assessed. Annual fees will go up, and fans absorb the increase as long as they can because they're reluctant to forgo their upfront investment. It's all part of the revenue optimization strategies that are driving college athletics.

If ADs can pass facilities costs along to fans, that's what they'll do. If schools can boost their bottom line by jumping to another conference, that's what they'll do. If conferences can expand or realign to make more money, that's what they'll do. And the networks will keep adding tiers as long as fans keep paying for them.

Everything is about the money. Every decision is made to maximize revenue. Schools are reprioritizing facility renovations based on what configurations will bring in more revenue. Networks select game times and matchups to maximize TV dollars. If ESPN wants to stack games from 9 AM to 2 AM to provide multi-channel live entertainment, schools go along with it, with the less desirable teams and matchups playing early in the AM or late at night.

Everything from venue seating to programming to value-added memberships are being tiered to bring in more money. More and more programming will be shifted to add-on tiers to force viewers to upgrade packages at a higher cost. Premium seating is sold as "a greater fan experience" but it's really just a way to boost the bottom line by providing a few amenities. If selling a membership can create multiple revenue streams from a single fan, then there will be buy-in and annual fees assessed. Annual fees will go up, and fans absorb the increase as long as they can because they're reluctant to forgo their upfront investment. It's all part of the revenue optimization strategies that are driving college athletics.

If ADs can pass facilities costs along to fans, that's what they'll do. If schools can boost their bottom line by jumping to another conference, that's what they'll do. If conferences can expand or realign to make more money, that's what they'll do. And the networks will keep adding tiers as long as fans keep paying for them.
And all this is going to look pretty stupid once people start checking out.

Gotta be Oregon and Washington
Yeah feels like Oregon and Washington. Washington thinks they are among that conference's top. Oregon worked too damn hard to get left behind now, I'm sure they're thinking.

Utah has scratched and clawed for years to get to where they are. Wouldn't surprise me if they slide in under the closing door.

100% what a bunch of crap. Between this and the OU/TX moves...wth?

Not long before the B1G and SEC power-hungry commishes push ACC teams into making moves. And wreck yet ANOTHER conference. And all of this at the ruin of every single non-top ~30 program and top-2 conference.

Soo stupid 😒😒
Kind of crazy what happens when a bunch of money-hungry guys that don't give a crap about the sport get put in positions of power.

100%.

There has GOT to be an adult/group of adults at the center table to look out for the game and not just short-term profit chasing.

But ofc the universities run themselves (via the NCAA), so unless every mid and smaller program takes ahold of this runaway train and puts someone/group in charge, such as every single professional and successful organization has, I'm afraid it's going to be left to the dogs fighting over steak scraps until they realize there is actually less steak in the long-run.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

Lol people won’t check out.

Every decision in this entire country is based on maximizing money for those who already have the majority of it. From sports all the way to healthcare to tax law. And it frequently screws regular people, or in this case, fans. Yet people (and fans) continue to go along with it.

There will never be significant change until decisions are made on other criteria. Which will never happen. Bc ya know, money. The thing that ruins everything.

Lol people won’t check out.

Every decision in this entire country is based on maximizing money for those who already have the majority of it. From sports all the way to healthcare to tax law. And it frequently screws regular people, or in this case, fans. Yet people (and fans) continue to go along with it.

There will never be significant change until decisions are made on other criteria. Which will never happen. Bc ya know, money. The thing that ruins everything.
Is this when we do the commies vs. capitalism thing that every debate on this board turns into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back