Emoni Bates to Transfer

It’s not surprising that a former NBA head coach can recruit. These kids want to be in the league, so they see an NBA coach and jump at the chance to play for them.

What remains in question is if the former NBA head coach can actually coach a team of college kids and not pros. We’ll see how he does the next few years.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Some people were hyping this kid up as the best thing coming out of high school since Kevin Durant. What a swing and miss.

Memphis got better the LESS he played last year.

Very telling that Juwan Howard apparently lost interest given that Bates lives 15 minutes from the Michigan campus.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Per Gary Parrish- Nobody wanted him because of having to deal with him, his father and his entourage. As the year went on, it got worse and worse. Tardy to practice. Not going to class. And evidently the father is a real piece of work with constant demands. Embarrassing incidents at games and plenty of behind the scenes incidents. Too much baggage to deal with. I’m not a onecent fan but it’s hard to blame him for this one. I commend him for sending him packing. First time somebody has told Emoni “No”. As the fellow before me said, it’s pretty telling that he was down to Eastern Michigan and that’s it. Word gets around among coaches. I guarantee he and Dad would have gone to a higher profile school if it had been offered.

Some people were hyping this kid up as the best thing coming out of high school since Kevin Durant. What a swing and miss.

Memphis got better the LESS he played last year.
They definitely improved when Penny stopped the experiment and benched him.

Best of luck to him. I disagree with his style and attitude on the court but the kid still has talent. Hope he gets that stuff off the court figured out.

Penny, the known "de"-veloper of talent. Go to Memphis, get worse! What an awesome recruiting pitch.
You do know he had 3 guys off his team going into the NBA. Not a huge fan of Coach Penny, but to have 2 drafted and one sign a two-way contract with the DUBS ain't bad. That will be his recruiting pitch. The problem last year was having this Diva on the team. The word was he wanted to come back and Coach Penny cut ties on him.

VN Store

Back