Kennedy Chandler's future? [drafted No.38 to Memphis]

Sure he would, but again, a 6' PG needs to have a bulletproof game. Concerns about Chandlers shooting led to his drop. All a moot point now. He got drafted. He's got his shot. You can improve on shooting. Grant proved that. If he does, he'll be a solid PG option for a team. Most likely a backup role, but hey, that's not a bad gig if you can land it. Kinda like the backup QB in the NFL. Best job in all football.
Backup PG in the NBA gets modest PT. Backup QB in the NFL rarely plays

So Allan Iverson wouldn’t have been drafted into today’s nba?
There are a few exceptions in every generation of players. Muggsy Bogues made it and he was only 5-6. Nate Archibald was a great player. Don’t know if either was drafted though. Sure Iverson would have been drafted but he was a generational talent and I haven’t seen one like him lately.

Reactions: pimo1
Last thing to say on the subject. Ty Ty Washington was the shortest player picked in the first round at 6’3” at # 29. Before he was picked, one was 6’4”. Everybody else was 6-5 and above. That tells you all you need to know about the NBA these days.
That has to do with the weak pg class this year more than anything else imo

Memphis is one team I didn't want him to go to...Its a sympathy pick because its his hometown and Ja Morant mentored/trained with him. Ja probably went to bat for him, but they only took him because he fell so far. But that's Ja's team...He needs a team he has a chance to play PG
There are no “sympathy picks” in the NBA. Dumb take.

Memphis is one team I didn't want him to go to...Its a sympathy pick because its his hometown and Ja Morant mentored/trained with him. Ja probably went to bat for him, but they only took him because he fell so far. But that's Ja's team...He needs a team he has a chance to play PG

The Grizzlies did a private workout with KC right before the draft, and I’m pretty sure KC said it was his only private workout. The Grizzlies tried making a trade earlier when they realized he was dropping and couldn’t get teams to bite until San Antonio did. They wanted him. KC wasn’t going to be a starter for any team in the NBA right now, so it’s a great situation.

Reactions: Coddlecreek1
Right now, KC's immediate future is highly influenced by Memphis's decision to resign Tyus Jones, which most writers think will happen. I did read on the Athletic today that KC will likely make the roster and not be on a two-way, which is promising.

I think Sharife Cooper is a fair comparison for Chandler. Cooper was drafted. At 48, and spent most of the season in G-league. Much like Chandler, I thought Cooper at 48 was a steal. They both should be able to carve roles In the league within three years.

There are a few exceptions in every generation of players. Muggsy Bogues made it and he was only 5-6. Nate Archibald was a great player. Don’t know if either was drafted though. Sure Iverson would have been drafted but he was a generational talent and I haven’t seen one like him lately.
Mugsy is 5'3", the human assist, hard to believe I know. Don't forget that 5'7" phenom. Spud Webb . Dunk contest winner . When Spud got off the plane from Dallas, Valvano told his assistant coach "if that is Spud Webb you are fired". Don't forgot Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas, both under 6 feet

Reactions: Delmar
Mugsy is 5'3", the human assist, hard to believe I know. Don't forget that 5'7" phenom. Spud Webb . Dunk contest winner . When Spud got off the plane from Dallas, Valvano told his assistant coach "if that is Spud Webb you are fired". Don't forgot Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas, both under 6 feet
You are correct. I got Muggsy confused with Spud on the size. As I said, there certainly have been exceptions over the years. Just seems to me that there aren’t as many 6 foot and under players as there used to be. Can’t think of many in the league right now and it seems to be a trend.

Well the Grizzlies decided to keep Tyus Jones at least for a little while. Signed him to a 2 yr, $30 million deal to stay. Didn’t think they’d pay up but they did. Two reasons. One, after dealing Deanthony Melton, they lost some offense off the bench and the feeling is they need to keep Tyus because of his offense. Two, this will provide Kennedy a chance to learn without putting a ton of pressure on him. Still think he’ll get minutes because Ja is a little injury prone and the Grizz will rest him some during the regular season. Looks like a good move to me on all fronts.

VN Store

Back