Florida cuts Scholarship Players

Is this a football team or a cult?

"the moves were not based on performance but rather each player’s individual buy-in and how they assimilated to head coach Billy Napier’s desired culture for his program, which players are strictly asked to adhere to. "

Maybe they refused to buy in on the "Scared money don't make money" mantra

Reactions: mackievol and tbh
They got processed.

McDaniel was a bit of a surprise.

One of the three was a lead candidate for kick returner and McDaniel played in every game last year. I think, “they got processed” is a little dismissive.

They got cut because they didn’t mesh with Napiers culture. Which is fine. That’s probably more than 99% of coaches would have the stones to do. Short term it can’t help. Long term it probably does.

Word around here is that Napier is running a much tighter ship than Mullen did. Some people can't take it. Best to get rid of those people early.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting cut from the roster does not open the scholarship in these cases. Obviously if they transfer out of school, that would release the scholly and they would have to go into the portal, but coaches can't just cut a scholly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting cut from the roster does not open the scholarship in these cases. Obviously if they transfer out of school, that would release the scholly and they would have to go into the portal, but coaches can't just cut a scholly.
I read that, too. They've got the option of remaining on scholarship and staying in school, but would that still count against the football program? Would it be designated an academic scholarship instead? Considering how precious football 'ships are, one would have to assume it frees a spot that Napier can use. The article mentions some new comers and UF is still over the 85 limit. I'd have to think those players will move on to the portal immediately and free up spots that Napier apparently has already used.

I counted players listed on their roster on their website. They have 120 players listed with an 85 scholarship limit. 22 offensive linemen. For comparison we have 100 listed on our roster.

Napier’s first season will be rough.

He’s whiffing on recruits, and our 2-deep is thin past the starters. No playmakers on offense outside of AR, who has been injury prone since high school.

Napier will get four years to right the ship.

Until then?

0-12

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

He’s whiffing on recruits, and our 2-deep is thin past the starters. No playmakers on offense outside of AR, who has been injury prone since high school.

Until then?

0-12
All I will say is that y’all had better hope that Cristobal doesn’t win an ACC Championship at Miami in his first season.

Meh…I won’t lose any sleep if Miami comes back before us.

Hell if we never come back life ain’t all that bad. 😉
Well at least y’all have two other big time programs in your state. All we have are the ankle bitters in Knoxville West.

Until then?

0-12
Wow…it’s surprising that so many have little faith in this guy. An average coach can win at FL and I’ve thought Napier was a great up and coming coach. Depth chart is thin but still the 1-2 deep is pretty good. Napier’s teams at Louisiana were tough&physical and I don’t expect anything less from him at UF. I think UF will find itself in a situation similar to TN last year and be better than what most people think preseason. I think Utah gives them a spanking off the bat but I believe it will be good for them. They will not face a more more physical team than Utah until they play GA at the end of October.

Wow…it’s surprising that so many have little faith in this guy. An average coach can win at FL and I’ve thought Napier was a great up and coming coach. Depth chart is thin but still the 1-2 deep is pretty good. Napier’s teams at Louisiana were tough&physical and I don’t expect anything less from him at UF. I think UF will find itself in a situation similar to TN last year and be better than what most people think preseason. I think Utah gives them a spanking off the bat but I believe it will be good for them. They will not face a more more physical team than Utah until they play GA at the end of October.
You don’t think Kentucky is going to play more physical than Utah? I think Florida starts 0-2 out of the gate.

I think this year will be his toughest.

What happens going forward will be a direct by-product of recruiting.

You don’t think Kentucky is going to play more physical than Utah? I think Florida starts 0-2 out of the gate.
I think Utah is more physical than UK—100%. Not by a huge margin but nonetheless more physical. Injury bug can bite like LW said—if AR goes down then yes UF is in big trouble. But I’m a believer in playing big boy teams off the bat and UF definitely has a physical 1st opponent. I think that will help them in the long run. Another thing to think about is—would it be HUGELY shocking if UF beat Utah at home in the swamp in early September? I put that at about 15-20% chance of happening but Napier’s teams have an identity of playing tough with less talent. I would love for TN to have UF rolling into Neyland at 2-1…or 3-0.

I think Utah is more physical than UK—100%. Not by a huge margin but nonetheless more physical. Injury bug can bite like LW said—if AR goes down then yes UF is in big trouble. But I’m a believer in playing big boy teams off the bat and UF definitely has a physical 1st opponent. I think that will help them in the long run. Another thing to think about is—would it be HUGELY shocking if UF beat Utah at home in the swamp in early September? I put that at about 15-20% chance of happening but Napier’s teams have an identity of playing tough with less talent. I would love for TN to have UF rolling into Neyland at 2-1…or 3-0.
I think Florida starting out 3-0 is a pipe dream. 2-1 is probable and 1-2 is more likely.

Reactions: TC 83
I think Florida starting out 3-0 is a pipe dream. 2-1 is probable and 1-2 is more likely.
I won’t deny you’re right but that’s where I think people are misguided on his coaching ability. We all see this on the outside of UF but if he’s cutting cancers on the team he’s doing the right thing for the team. I’d say what is going on internally is not nearly as bad as the optics look from the outside. Last year TN, from a roster standpoint, was worse off than UF is currently. So I’m not saying UF is going be back to contending but they definitely are not going to be an easy out for anyone if they stay healthy.

I won’t deny you’re right but that’s where I think people are misguided on his coaching ability. We all see this on the outside of UF but if he’s cutting cancers on the team he’s doing the right thing for the team. I’d say what is going on internally is not nearly as bad as the optics look from the outside. Last year TN, from a roster standpoint, was worse off than UF is currently. So I’m not saying UF is going be back to contending but they definitely are not going to be an easy out for anyone if they stay healthy.
I’m not saying that they will be an easy out but for this season at least, they are going to be just as bad as those 4 win teams in 2013 and 2017. I see 5 wins as their ceiling. Wins vs USF, EWU, Missouri, Vanderbilt, and FSU will be a toss up.

VN Store

Back