Juneteenth

Nice writeup. One disagreement. When you celebrate an event for one group of people, it sends a signal to all the rest. More division is something we could do without, so I really don't see much positive for celebrating holidays like this or months dedicated to minorities or diversities.

I don't disagree. I think some of these originated from good intentions.

I would have loved another paid holiday in a summer month like this when I was working at 1st Tenn / 1st Horizon. Now, that I'm unemployed, it's just like any other day... without the paid part.

Reading back through some of the comments in this thread, also reminds me of the time a district manager asked me if I had any plans for "James Earl Ray Day." Obviously, speaking about the MLK holiday. I still can't believe I actually heard that at work... and from someone I respected too. Racial animus is as prevalent now, as it has ever been. It's just better hidden.

You really believe the bold comments?

I would have loved another paid holiday in a summer month like this when I was working at 1st Tenn / 1st Horizon. Now, that I'm unemployed, it's just like any other day... without the paid part.

Reading back through some of the comments in this thread, also reminds me of the time a district manager asked me if I had any plans for "James Earl Ray Day." Obviously, speaking about the MLK holiday. I still can't believe I actually heard that at work... and from someone I respected too. Racial animus is as prevalent now, as it has ever been. It's just better hidden.

Because dems and progressives are so damn focused on keeping everyone looking at it with this idiotic identity crap. I spoke to someone well meaning last week who was talking about diversity and I told them that the moment they start looking at people's skin color at all, it becomes a problem. Whole point of being becoming post racism is not to care what your skin color is at all because it shouldnt tell me much of anything about how you think and what you believe. If it does, then right there is the issue. Now if I see someone is "white", what does that tell me? not a damn thing. If they tell me they are Irish, Jamaican or from NYC or Alaska or that they are Episcopalian, a BOSOX fan, THAT tells me something about them.

e had a graduation ceremony for my son and some others in the backyard this weekend. Out of the maybe 6 or 7 families there, now that I think about it, my wife and I were the only "white people" and my wife is an immigrant. Well wait, maybe one of them we have known for a couple of years....hmmm not sure really if she is white or Jewish, I have never asked. But until this moment, I never actually thought about it - because it doesnt make any difference. They are our friends and my son's friends.

Only people who care if someone is "BIPOC" is an ignorant bastard of a race hustler or the unwitting f/tool of one.

With the shear amount of seriously troubling legislation they have to consider they waste time passing a resolution for yet another holiday. It means they are wasting time and tax payers dollars for further political capital down the road. Pathetic.
around here the healthcare field did not get the day off - nor did most stores or other non government businesses

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77
While Juneteenth may celebrate what happened in Galveston almost 150 years ago, clearly the "delayed news" of black people being free has never reached most of America's inner cities even today. All still stuck on whitey dem's plantation.

Because dems and progressives are so damn focused on keeping everyone looking at it with this idiotic identity crap. I spoke to someone well meaning last week who was talking about diversity and I told them that the moment they start looking at people's skin color at all, it becomes a problem. Whole point of being becoming post racism is not to care what your skin color is at all because it shouldnt tell me much of anything about how you think and what you believe. If it does, then right there is the issue. Now if I see someone is "white", what does that tell me? not a damn thing. If they tell me they are Irish, Jamaican or from NYC or Alaska or that they are Episcopalian, a BOSOX fan, THAT tells me something about them.

e had a graduation ceremony for my son and some others in the backyard this weekend. Out of the maybe 6 or 7 families there, now that I think about it, my wife and I were the only "white people" and my wife is an immigrant. Well wait, maybe one of them we have known for a couple of years....hmmm not sure really if she is white or Jewish, I have never asked. But until this moment, I never actually thought about it - because it doesnt make any difference. They are our friends and my son's friends.

Only people who care if someone is "BIPOC" is an ignorant bastard of a race hustler or the unwitting f/tool of one.
Both political parties engage in various forms of identity politics. Donald Trump has been prolific at it ... and for the most part, his supporters view that as either "fighting back" or "owning the libs."

Is Trump’s Use Of Identity Politics An Effective Strategy?

How identity politics elected Donald Trump

If “Identity Politics” Elected Trump in 2016, What Will Happen in 2020?

Understanding Identity Politics in Trump Country | The Takeaway | WNYC Studios

And just like that, we’re talking about the OrangeAgent

Because dems and progressives are so damn focused on keeping everyone looking at it with this idiotic identity crap.

@Gandalf made it a matter of partisan politics, with the first sentence ^^^^ of his post. Is anyone supposed to read that, and not immediately think of Donald Trump?

My buddy got the day off for juneteenth…..but they took their Good Friday holiday to do it. How woke can you be if you’re not going to take one for the team and add a completely new holiday? He just started this job about 6 months ago and said they have support groups for every race and group except straight white people. Also said their break room is all rainbowed up and has pictures of gay people who have supposedly made major contributions in history. Sadly he says most people there are normal and don’t give 2 s***s about any of it but it’s all upper level management pushing this crap.

Reactions: AM64
You really believe the bold comments?

I disagree with ever but I think racial animus is probably worse than it's ever been in my lifetime. I remember dems trying to paint R's as racist but I don't remember people being so riled up by anti-racism. It seems like it's rallied a lot of pissed-off people (who were apolitical, moderate, or left-leaning) to become politically right.

And tangental to racial animus, same goes for how we feel about immigrants from the south. There was basically no animus over this issue early in my lifetime, and now it's a big plank issue that really riles people up.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
I disagree with ever but I think racial animus is probably worse than it's ever been in my lifetime. I remember dems trying to paint R's as racist but I don't remember people being so riled up by anti-racism. It seems like it's rallied a lot of pissed-off people (who were apolitical, moderate, or left-leaning) to become politically right.

And tangental to racial animus, same goes for how we feel about immigrants from the south. There was basically no animus over this issue early in my lifetime, and now it's a big plank issue that really riles people up.

People are just sick of hearing about race and extreme exaggerations of “racism”. People are kinda sick of how it only travels down a one way street as well.

I can only offer perspective from my circles and things I witness in my daily life. Personally, it seems like there is less racial animus now compared to when I was growing up.

@Gandalf made it a matter of partisan politics, with the first sentence ^^^^ of his post. Is anyone supposed to read that, and not immediately think of Donald Trump?
Count me as anyone that can read ANYTHING and not think about the fat, NY POS.
Lock his a$$ up already and get him off my TV.
Now, back to Juneteenth and race relations, maybe?

I can only offer perspective from my circles and things I witness in my daily life. Personally, it seems like there is less racial animus now compared to when I was growing up.
I agree. The extremes of society more vocal and have global platforms to grab attention. But the everyday people have less animus

VN Store

Back