‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

South Carolina, Mizzou, Vandy. . . that's if they haven't already quit after a couple of years trying to play bammer, UGA, and UF every year.

They may do alright with their current roster, but they'd lose 2-3 games a year. Recruiting would start to fail and they'd just be another mid-pack team by year 6.

Florida can easily become a powerhouse again if they make the right hire.

Too much talent in the state of Florida to be in the shape they are now.

I think this is accurate. Ohio State would be on the level of LSU is they were in the SEC. They'd still be very good, have plenty of talent, and get into the playoffs from time to time, but the'd be no Bama.
I can live with this reality. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to be in the SEC. But I think we've shown that in our good years, we can play with the big boys. 2014 and 2019 teams specifically I think would've faired well in the SEC. Other years I think we're between 9-3 and 10-2 instead of 11-1 or 12-0

Tennessee would be more successful in the big 10 than we have been recently in the SEC without question. I don’t know that people think we would be on the same level of success as OSU there, but it’s without question an easier conference than the modern SEC. For that reason, I think OSU has less success in the SEC than they do in the Big 10, where they don’t have to compete with a minimum of 4 other programs who have the same recruiting resources and talent that they do.

Edited to add: that’s not to say OSU wouldn’t be successful, but they would certainly not win the conference or go to the playoff on an annual basis like they generally do currently.
This.

I think this is accurate. Ohio State would be on the level of LSU is they were in the SEC. They'd still be very good, have plenty of talent, and get into the playoffs from time to time, but the'd be no Bama.
The reason why LSU is good annually is location, they churn out talent, Ohio doesnt

Buckeye fan here. Been reading this thread over the past week or so to get your side's perspective on Tate's recruitment. Been enjoying it, lots of good info and I love a fanbase that cares. However, aside from all that, is the presiding thought really that OSU is some second rate program that is only good because it's in the "weak" Big Ten? Asked another way, if Tennessee and Ohio State flipped conferences, do you think Tennessee would be more successful in the Big Ten than Ohio State is? And that Ohio State would be less successful in the SEC than Tennessee is?

edit to give my point of view: I concede that the SEC is absolutely better than the Big Ten overall. My view is that Ohio State basically operates like a top SEC team, and that if you dropped them in the SEC, they'd compete for titles along with Georgia, Bama, and LSU. They obviously wouldn't be winning the conference every year like they do in the Big Ten, but they wouldn't be a middling SEC program either.
No, we have some confused individuals in this forum who think being loyal requires you to be dumb and hypocritical. Most Vol fans are not so butthurt that they can't admit Ohio State is also one of the historically great programs in CFB.

I think Ohio State would have occasionally won the SEC like maybe 2-3 times in the last 20 years if it had been in the SEC but those 2-3 years you'd have still won a natty or been close to it. So basically, many less conference championships, somewhat fewer wins (probably a 70-75 percent winning percentage instead of 85) and about the same number of national championships. I think Tennessee in the Big 10 since we fired Fulmer would have been 7-5 or 6-6 in the Big 10 alot of the years we were 5-7 or 4-8 in the SEC. We wouldn't have been winning any championships in the Big 10 since 2009 because we have had bad coaching, and that hurts anywhere.

The reason why LSU is good annually is location, they churn out talent, Ohio doesnt

True. The state of Ohio does produce talent, but not on the level of the state of Louisiana. LSU can stock their shelves out of that state alone and still be good....which is basically what they do.

I can live with this reality. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to be in the SEC. But I think we've shown that in our good years, we can play with the big boys. 2014 and 2019 teams specifically I think would've faired well in the SEC. Other years I think we're between 9-3 and 10-2 instead of 11-1 or 12-0

You can play with the big boys in games at the end of a season where you're clearly admitting you've gone through a weaker conference schedule. Could you play with the big boys if your team had gone through the same meat grinder? That we'll never know.

As far as Tate, he'll pick wherever he picks, but we all know it doesn't matter where you go to college if your goal is the NFL. The NFL finds talent. Look at the top WRs in the league and where they went to school. I mean, Cooper Kupp went to Eastern Washington. Davante Adams went to Fresno State. A school does NOT get you drafted, talent does.

Who was the player that was committed to TN and flipped as the last minute? It’s someone besides Higgins and I think defensive player?

You can play with the big boys in games at the end of a season where you're clearly admitting you've gone through a weaker conference schedule. Could you play with the big boys if your team had gone through the same meat grinder? That we'll never know.

As far as Tate, he'll pick wherever he picks, but we all know it doesn't matter where you go to college if your goal is the NFL. The NFL finds talent. Look at the top WRs in the league and where they went to school. I mean, Cooper Kupp went to Eastern Washington. Davante Adams went to Fresno State. A school does NOT get you drafted, talent does.
If we're conceding that it doesn't matter where you go and that the NFL will find you, then you might as well go somewhere you're going to win. I think that's where SEC teams not named Georgia and Bama struggle. Success breeds success, if you're a national recruit you might as well pick a team that guarantees you're going to play for championships. Ohio State can guarantee that right now, like it or not. It ain't a fair game, this recruiting business.

No, we have some confused individuals in this forum who think being loyal requires you to be dumb and hypocritical. Most Vol fans are not so butthurt that they can't admit Ohio State is also one of the historically great programs in CFB.

I think Ohio State would have occasionally won the SEC like maybe 2-3 times in the last 20 years if it had been in the SEC but those 2-3 years you'd have still won a natty or been close to it. So basically, many less conference championships, somewhat fewer wins (probably a 70-75 percent winning percentage instead of 85) and about the same number of national championships. I think Tennessee in the Big 10 since we fired Fulmer would have been 7-5 or 6-6 in the Big 10 alot of the years we were 5-7 or 4-8 in the SEC. We wouldn't have been winning any championships in the Big 10 since 2009 because we have had bad coaching, and that hurts anywhere.
lmao You seem extremely butthurt yourself. Most of us concede OSU is a historically great program, but we also realize they don't play in the same meat grinder we do. The Big 10 is not as tough as the SEC. And it's not even close. Yes, they are a great program. But they're in a totally different situation.

lmao You seem extremely butthurt yourself. Most of us concede OSU is a historically great program, but we also realize they don't play in the same meat grinder we do. The Big 10 is not as tough as the SEC. And it's not even close. Yes, they are a great program. But they're in a totally different situation.
Some didn't concede that yesterday, whereas I repeatedly said the SEC was better than the Big 10 and that UT and OSU were historical peers. Anyway, emotions were running high yesterday I guess and any acknowledgement of OSU as a program was high treason apparently.

If we're conceding that it doesn't matter where you go and that the NFL will find you, then you might as well go somewhere you're going to win. I think that's where SEC teams not named Georgia and Bama struggle. Success breeds success, if you're a national recruit you might as well pick a team that guarantees you're going to play for championships. Ohio State can guarantee that right now, like it or not. It ain't a fair game, this recruiting business.
lol So play for a Big 10 championship and a possible spot in the playoffs to finish behind an SEC team at the end. That's one way to look at it. Or, they could choose to play in the SEC, the toughest college football conference, and basically the NFL's minor league.

I get it. You want to poo poo on Tennessee because we've had a tough almost 20 years. Personally, I think we're on the rise again. I can admit OSU is a great historical program. You might want to read up on Tennessee because we ain't so bad ourselves, historically.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
lol So play for a Big 10 championship and a possible spot in the playoffs to finish behind an SEC team at the end. That's one way to look at it. Or, they could choose to play in the SEC, the toughest college football conference, and basically the NFL's minor league.

I get it. You want to poo poo on Tennessee because we've had a tough almost 20 years. Personally, I think we're on the rise again. I can admit OSU is a great historical program. You might want to read up on Tennessee because we ain't so bad ourselves, historically.
I thought you said it doesn't matter where you go? Kind of contradicting yourself with the "NFL's minor league" thing.

Buckeye fan here. Been reading this thread over the past week or so to get your side's perspective on Tate's recruitment. Been enjoying it, lots of good info and I love a fanbase that cares. However, aside from all that, is the presiding thought really that OSU is some second rate program that is only good because it's in the "weak" Big Ten? Asked another way, if Tennessee and Ohio State flipped conferences, do you think Tennessee would be more successful in the Big Ten than Ohio State is? And that Ohio State would be less successful in the SEC than Tennessee is?

edit to give my point of view: I concede that the SEC is absolutely better than the Big Ten overall. My view is that Ohio State basically operates like a top SEC team, and that if you dropped them in the SEC, they'd compete for titles along with Georgia, Bama, and LSU. They obviously wouldn't be winning the conference every year like they do in the Big Ten, but they wouldn't be a middling SEC program either.
Around the same time we were one of the contenders inn the sec, osu was the second place program in the big 10. A lot of it is cyclical...or it used to be. And a lot of it has to do with coaching hires.

When you had Cooper you were little brother. When Michigan moved on from Carr,and you moved on from Cooper, roles reversed.

As for the conference swap...I don't think it's being suggested that osu would be as bad as us. Just that we wouldn't Be a sub 500 program for a large portion of the last 15 years and you wouldn't run roughshot thru the sec like the big 10, thus probably not as"elite " as you're current situation allows. And us just not being terrible.

Your conference just isn't very deep. Michigan fans know it. That's why 11-1 or 10-2 sucks for them. It's osu....Michigan and pen st.....and everybody else.

I thought you said it doesn't matter where you go? Kind of contradicting yourself with the "NFL's minor league" thing.
lol

Stings doesn't it? Knowing part of your success is the conference you play in?

You can absolutely make it to the NFL from anywhere. Plenty of players have proven that.

VN Store

Back