‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

They have arguably the Heisman favorite with a 5 star QB + top 50 QB behind him… as well as the #1 overall QB for 2024… I would chop off my left foot for their QB situation
And Day who will fūck up a wet dream. All that talent left behind by Urban and hasn't done anything. DAY is a flop

How does he go from everyone saying vol lock to osu.. something had to have happened and we are being left out of the loop??? What changed??

You’re in a Vol forum where everyone is a homer for Tennessee.

Two weeks ago AP was on Swain and he just didn’t sound confident. Said something about that if Tate committed at that time he would feel good but the longer it takes the less likely he was picking us.

I think @jakez4ut is right and OSU was the favorite but TN gave him a lot to think about. Sucks if we don’t get him but it’s just one recruit.

Both Ryan Callahan and Austin Price had less than encouraging reports last night, it's a few pages back.
Id like to declare Ive withdrawn my gaf (unless he does pick TN, for this commitment. Ive reached out to Huepel to let them know.

WR is a position where seems a new name pops up every month.

Glad he’s announced a date. I’m gonna abandon this thread (mostly) between now and then.

But I will say I still believe he’s a Tennessee Volunteer when he announces.

If you ain’t with me on that, the hell with ya.
Really like to have the kid but but but he will not make or break this offense.

It appears that there is a lot of back and forth that goes on in recruiting. And I am not sure that the more we know the better off we are as fans. These services giving out all of this information looks to be just selling drama that most of us could benefit our health status if we could just ignore it.

It seems like we were a lot more positive when they would just make an announcement that a player committed to UT and we did not have to deal with the anxiety of the details. After all the real results are wins and losses on the field during the season and not how the sausage is being made.

Maybe there is more to life than this? But I am an old guy now who has been following this process for over 50 years.

Oh…. Let’s not be sourpusses going around the forum (see Seldon thread for example) or Twitter fronting like we don’t care where Tate goes or how we don’t need him. You sound stupid. Sure, other receivers will be studs in this offense - but Tate is also elite. We definitely want/need him to accelerate the process.

Seldon and Tate paired together are the kind of players we need to win the SEC. Let’s not act like we don’t need tate just because some od you think he’s trending away.

it would’ve been nice to have and a good look for us to have the #1 QB & #1 Wr in the class, but in all honesty we will be alright without tate. wr production will never be a problem here under heupel. we will start to get these high profile wr’s soon.
Not being negative, but Heupel has been here for one season. Saying things like “will never be a problem” is just unrealistic. They’re obviously great at developing the position (see Tillman, Cedric) but to miss on a recruit and say it doesn’t matter is foolish. Regardless of how well they develop, they still need to win with big time receiver recruits if we want to win at the highest level. Hidden gems like Tillman don’t grow in trees and shouldn’t be considered the standard for this staff. That’s just unfair to them.

Nicole recently showed out in Vegas with much less talented WR's than other top QB prospects. Consistently threw them open and made them look better with elite throws. We will be fine and just need talented guys who can catch and run. Nicole will take care of the rest. I'm much more concerned with getting top flight OL to protect him than any single WR. Still would have been nice to get Tate but if he chooses an easier conference to dominate lesser DB's then I don't blame him

It appears that there is a lot of back and forth that goes on in recruiting. And I am not sure that the more we know the better off we are as fans. These services giving out all of this information looks to be just selling drama that most of us could benefit our health status if we could just ignore it.

It seems like we were a lot more positive when they would just make an announcement that a player committed to UT and we did not have to deal with the anxiety of the details. After all the real results are wins and losses on the field during the season and not how the sausage is being made.

Maybe there is more to life than this? But I am an old guy now who has been following this process for over 50 years.
Same here. At times, I feel more than a little stupid for wasting the time. It's all just silly games being played by kids for social media attention. Throw in NIL and I question my sanity.

Reactions: onevol74
Not being negative, but Heupel has been here for one season. Saying things like “will never be a problem” is just unrealistic. They’re obviously great at developing the position (see Tillman, Cedric) but to miss on a recruit and say it doesn’t matter is foolish. Regardless of how well they develop, they still need to win with big time receiver recruits if we want to win at the highest level. Hidden gems like Tillman don’t grow in trees and shouldn’t be considered the standard for this staff. That’s just unfair to them.

You can win 8-10 games with overachievers like Tillman and Velus. But if we ever truly want it to feel like ‘98 again, we’re gonna need ELITE receivers.

I’d discount Georgia because they had an NFL defense last year. Outside of that, look at the teams winning the NC - Alabama, LSU, and Clemson have all had absolute monsters at the position when they won.

Hell, as good as Alabama and Saban is - we saw how much different they looked once their two receivers went down last year. Went from embarrassing UGA in the SECCG to losing to them when it mattered most.

Nicole recently showed out in Vegas with much less talented WR's than other top QB prospects. Consistently threw them open and made them look better with elite throws. We will be fine and just need talented guys who can catch and run. Nicole will take care of the rest. I'm much more concerned with getting top flight OL to protect him than any single WR. Still would have been nice to get Tate but if he chooses an easier conference to dominate lesser DB's then I don't blame him
I don't place a lot of stock in these camps for QBs. Easy to stand back there and hit guys in shorts and no one can clean your clock. Never know how a player will respond until live bullets are being fired. Nicole might be a helluva qb, but she's gonna have to prove it vs SEC talent before I buy in on the hype surrounding her recruitment.

Since it’s recruiting and rational thought doesn’t apply - here’s my conspiracy theory: Tate was OSU from Day 1. OSU deployed him to learn everything UT was doing for recruiting and NIL since we were killing it. He was a mole. Also, my other theory is he’s actually going to commit to Jackson State. 😂

Reactions: vol_in_ga
Since it’s recruiting and rational thought doesn’t apply - here’s my conspiracy theory: Tate was OSU from Day 1. OSU deployed him to learn everything UT was doing for recruiting and NIL since we were killing it. He was a mole. Also, my other theory is he’s actually going to commit to Jackson State. 😂
he visited Tennessee more than any other school.

I think fact OSU is closer, had a more proven WR coach, and NFL success + negative recruiting W-L is why its tOSU.

VN Store

Back