Let's Get Real regarding Term Limits/Age Requirements/Lobbyist

Sudden Impact

Who we are is what We do with what We have!
Discussion Opened with the following... The Constitution was written at a time when the Life Expectancy was 35 years old.

Term Limits --
House* - 10 years 5 Terms must Sit out for 4 years and run again.
Senate* - 12 years 2 terms sit for 4-6 years.
Supreme Court - 20 Years
President -- No change stays the same
*No Family member can run to hold seat.

Age Requirement --
Cut off is 70 to enter Race

Lobbyist

Applies to All - No one member serving can apply (At any time) nor can a Family Member hold a Lobbyist Position until they have been out of office for 5 years.

Rip away...The founding fathers did not anticipate that the Life Expectancy of an American would double. They also did not conceive that a Member would serve longer than the Life Expectancy.

The members of Congress need to experience the life that they are affecting on a daily basis.

Sometimes turnover is good.

I don't have much of an issue with any except I would say no running again.
Once a failed run or you talking hold any office you can’t run again? I’m all for once you announce your candidacy for President it’s one shot. Almost a loser leave town old school wrestling once you tap out.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Once a failed run or you talking hold any office you can’t run again? I’m all for once you announce your candidacy for President it’s one shot. Almost a loser leave town old school wrestling once you tap out.
To reclaim your seat...You can run as many times as you desire but once elected the rules apply

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
Term limits ain’t saving us. Neither is the constitution. The best we can hope for is an amicable divorce.
Need to take a look at the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution in 1946.
Changed the rule Regarding Presidential terms
I am surprised that it has not been challenged.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
2 terms for everything.
4 years as a congressman
8 years as a senator (change term from 6)

No stock trading in office
No pension
No stipends
No lifetime Healthcare
No accepting gifts
No lobbying after
Pay is fluid on how well the economy is doing.
No raises you're on commission .

Every year each party gets to treat congress like a jury.

Each party gets to remove 5 members from their own party or the opposing party ( replacements will be of the same party removed)

Each party gets one save.

2 terms for everything.
4 years as a congressman
8 years as a senator (change term from 6)

No stock trading in office
No pension
No stipends
No lifetime Healthcare
No accepting gifts
No lobbying after
Pay is fluid on how well the economy is doing.
No raises you're on commission .

Every year each party gets to treat congress like a jury.

Each party gets to remove 5 members from their own party or the opposing party ( replacements will be of the same party removed)

Each party gets one save.
Why would some dip **** elected officials from other states be allowed any say in who represents the people from another state?

Love it when the govt tells me who I can or can't vote for to represent my interests.
Narrowminded thinking... So the next guy up is not worthy and will not serve your interest better than the one going out of office as you assume.
Al Gore is the best example of how the Rubber lives the road, Congress to Senate to Vice President then to nowhere. Every year he separated himself from his contingency. All he had to do was win Tennessee. Why didn't was because he became part of the DC Mob. It happens with all of them...

Why would some dip **** elected officials from other states be allowed any say in who represents the people from another state?
It's a joke. I think people would be surprised how many times they would use challenge on their own party lol. Too many clowns and non serious people in congress.

Narrowminded thinking... So the next guy up is not worthy and will not serve your interest better than the one going out of office as you assume.
Al Gore is the best example of how the Rubber lives the road, Congress to Senate to Vice President then to nowhere. Every year he separated himself from his contingency. All he had to do was win Tennessee. Why didn't was because he became part of the DC Mob. It happens with all of them...
narrow minded? That makes no sense

If he's better I vote for the next guy. But if he's not better then why can't I keep the first guy? Why can the govt say that I can no longer be represented by my top choice?

Pretty sure we've already established that voters are stupid
They are not stupid they are just uniformed exercising their voting rights sometimes following their party lines.
I would like for these Congresspersons to experience life at the citizen level for a period of time vs taking the word of a Lobbyist with $$$ or seeing the real world. We talk about Coaches failures, we talk about getting it wrong, corruption and other statements regarding politics. Over and Over the same people get elected because of party lines, conspiracy theories, the media and so on so forth but Not because they are qualified.
How well is MGTs constituency being served?

Reactions: Majors
Discussion Opened with the following... The Constitution was written at a time when the Life Expectancy was 35 years old.

Term Limits --
Supreme Court - 20 Years

Age Requirement --

Lobbyist

Applies to All - No one member serving can apply (At any time) nor can a Family Member hold a Lobbyist Position until they have been out of office for 5 years.

Rip away...The founding fathers did not anticipate that the Life Expectancy of an American would double. They also did not conceive that a Member would serve longer than the Life Expectancy.

The members of Congress need to experience the life that they are affecting on a daily basis.

Life expectancy is a misnomer. Large infant mortality numbers is the factor creating the "35 year life expectancy ".

Yeah, big Pelosi fan. I try to hide it in my posts but I guess the veil is lifted
Well you wouldn't have to hide it if she was around... I am assuming you are not voting in her district, but at least under this set of rules we would only have to tolerate her for 10 years if that long..

Term Limits --
Supreme Court - 20 Years

Age Requirement --

Lobbyist

I like the other points.
Decentralization of reps in DC would curtail lobbying as well.

We may as well discuss how great UT's football team would be in 2022 if we had Peyton Manning as our quarterback this year. It has the same likelihood of happening.

Reactions: McDad

VN Store

Back