Who else noticed Burns body language was off to start the 7th?

It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.

Sounds like you've convinced yourself that you actually are right.

Reactions: Titan05
First - You are right. Even though he still had "good stuff" Burns was letting pitches drift high in the sixth. Which to me means his body was getting tired. Had he not shown his as- earlier in the series, our pitching coach would have likely noticed this and at least tried to make the change going into the seventh. (in an orderly fashion, not a heat of the moment thing).

Second - Lipscomb just did what several guys did,,,, it's called choke,,, not sure what to do to correct this. Maybe we could hire the little guy from the movie (The Natural) that says losing is like a disease. (this is two years in a row for major choking)

Third - Tony got it right, he made some coaching decisions that turned out bad. On the other hand, the ND guy was truly the better coach on this weekend. Starting with his decision in the second game to "give up and fight on another day" it really set up his staff for the third game.

Fourth - I am not a fan of the new swing, that is what I call the upper cut. I know it creates lots of long balls. But what ND players were taught, that is to shorten with a longer count seems to pay off in the long run. If you are swinging for the fence in late counts, many time you will get to walk back to the bench. There is nothing wrong with 15-16 singles and 7-8 runs in a game.
No one choked. It’s baseball and you don’t get a hit in every game. Sad that you want to put a label on a team that over performed all season.

No one choked. It’s baseball and you don’t get a hit in every game. Sad that you want to put a label on a team that over performed all season.

I like what you say, but this is two years in a row to "under preform" in the post season. Maybe in the new socially excepted order of things I should say have a "psychological block" where the post season is concerned. Either way when I was young enough to give a damn it was "CHOKE".

ND hit at least 4 HR’s in the series with a 2 strike count.

Saying a player choked in one game in a 3 game series where he hit the ball great in the other two?

True fan we have here.

Am now and always have been a Vol fan in ALL things. As to choking; it makes no difference if it is/was one game or a dozen, in the post season where you preform or don't it all depends on winning. When one of your key guys "under preforms" or just doesn't come through as expected, well from my yearly years, we called it chocking.....

Am now and always have been a Vol fan in ALL things. As to choking; it makes no difference if it is/was one game or a dozen, in the post season where you preform or don't it all depends on winning. When one of your key guys "under preforms" or just doesn't come through as expected, well from my yearly years, we called it chocking.....

Your facts were just wrong.

You don’t understand baseball if that’s the case.

Baseball is a game of failure where a 30% success rate puts you in the HOF. In MLB, despite typically being heavily favored and having HUGE payrolls, there’s a reason why the Yankees and Dodgers don’t win a WS every year, it’s called baseball. Getting to Omaha is extremely hard. There’s a very good reason no #1 seed has won a NC since 1999. Heck, look at the historical baseball powerhouse in MS St. last year was there first NC. It’s not choking—just shows you dont follow or understand the sport.

Reactions: Lurker
It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.
I hate my first post to be on the neg side. I’m super excited about coach V and what he is doing. End of the day we are hanging two SEC banners. Burns had demonstrated all year that once in the 70s his stuff begins to flatten out and elevate. That doesn’t excuse the lack of offense or the Homer Mabry gave up in relief. Those first two pitchers for ND weren’t all that good. Their closer is likely a future first rounder. While Beck found other ways on base, I believe Gilbert, Lipscomb and Beck were hitless in game three.

Reactions: savannahfan
I guess I don't understand. What facts are you referencing. Win or go home? What my generation called choking? What facts?

You stated that ND shortened their swing with 2 strikes when a majority of their HR’s were with 2 strikes. You stated Lipscomb choked when had a HR, 2 doubles, and 2 RBI’s in the series. Those were facts that were incorrect.

Simply losing doesn’t mean a team chokes. That’s asinine.

I hate my first post to be on the neg side. I’m super excited about coach V and what he is doing. End of the day we are hanging two SEC banners. Burns had demonstrated all year that once in the 70s his stuff begins to flatten out and elevate. That doesn’t excuse the lack of offense or the Homer Mabry gave up in relief. Those first two pitchers for ND weren’t all that good. Their closer is likely a future first rounder. While Beck found other ways on base, I believe Gilbert, Lipscomb and Beck were hitless in game three.

Gilbert, Lipscomb, Beck, Jorel, and Evan were all hitless in game 3.

The ND lefthander won the game for them.

Gilbert, Lipscomb, Beck, Jorel, and Evan were all hitless in game 3.

The ND lefthander won the game for them.

Yep, although I'll point out that when a team has a powerhouse offensive performance, particularly in a critical and emotional game (Saturday's game 2, 12-4), my experience has been that it is difficult to keep that going in the next game. See for example Arkansas super regional 2021 (21-2, 5-6, 2-3) and the infamous Red Sox ALCS comeback against the Yankees (NY 10-7, 3-1, 19-8, 4-6, 4-5, 2-4, 3-10).

Yep, although I'll point out that when a team has a powerhouse offensive performance, particularly in a critical and emotional game (Saturday's game 2, 12-4), my experience has been that it is difficult to keep that going in the next game. See for example Arkansas super regional 2021 (21-2, 5-6, 2-3) and the infamous Red Sox ALCS comeback against the Yankees (NY 10-7, 3-1, 19-8, 4-6, 4-5, 2-4, 3-10).

Good point!

Reactions: Volprofch05
I know he had a hell of a season abd is a great player. But sometimes players hit slumps or the pressure gets to him. This series was definitely one of those times and his performance / numbers prove that sentiment to be correct.

Who would you have replaced him with that you had more confidence in?

Reactions: Titan05
I didn’t notice any body language issues at all with Burns to start the 7th, but I definitely would have pulled him after the one-out double when he hit roughly 90 pitches. I think Tony would agree, but it is what it is. I can understand why he left him in.

Tony has all but said in public that he should have pulled him.

In the 7th Inning Tom Hart asked Kyle Peterson, "Where does Tennessee go for bullpen help, if required?" Peterson, who I have a lot of respect for said, " I would not bring in a left hander. ND has 7 RH batters and two switch hitters. I would stay with Chase Burns unless he runs into trouble. His fastball is still 95 + and his others pitches are elite. I don't think Tennessee's Bullpen can do better."

Based on LH pitcher Mabrey's performance on Friday night, facing only four batters and giving up four hits and three runs...reminded me that clearly Peterson was informed.

At the time, Sewell and two left handers were warming up. Drew Beam had struggled coming out of the bullpen during the regular season and had given up four runs against Georgia Tech in the Regional. I assume RH pitcher Beam was not available, for what ever reason.

Of course, Kyle Peterson is not more knowledgeable than our coaching staff. Blade's poor start and having to burn RH pitcher Joyce on Friday put us in this dilemma. Trailing 4 to 3, Sewell entered the game. Everything he threw was high. That's not where he's effective. We were in trouble! When Kirby came in, he got the bunt out on the sacrifice but made Peterson look like a savant, giving up back to back base hits and a four run lead. Not having a dominant RH pitcher in the bullpen to start the 7th inning was the issue and our undoing.

The series was lost on Friday night. That's baseball. Although, I feel like I lost a good friend, I am so excited about the future. Give ND credit.

When asked to describe this teams legacy, Kyle Peterson said with grace and emotion, "The best team in college baseball to not win a CWS." For me, the last five months
has given me so much joy. I will never forget this team. Go VOLS!

Excellent post and analysis. Sewell was our right handed closer and he just couldn't get the job done this time and hold the game close. Connell's struggles against their righties proved Peterson correct. Tony has all but conceded that he made poor moves at this critical part of the game, and has taken the responsibility for it. But there was more to it than all that. I think in hindsight that our team, including the pitching staff, was pretty well spent emotionally and physically after winning of the SEC Tourney and getting behind twice by 4 runs in the regional.

He doesn’t watch much so he couldn’t tell you.

Was just upset and complaining. Ofcourse pulling him at that moment wouldn't have been logical.

Burns however 100 percent shouldn't have been asked to win the game by himself as a true freshman. I would agree with keeping him in for 7 innings if maybe it was Dollander, but not a freshman. His fastballs were visibly sailing high in the sixth and he got very lucky that some of those stolen bases didn't score more.

Hell of player and talent though. I feel like Anderson would have not had him out there and Anderson was absolutely ridiculous for getting himself suspended that very first game over a first count pitch ffs.

This series was definitely lost by coaching more than anything.

He doesn’t watch much so he couldn’t tell you.

I am not here to insult anyone. But nerves clearly got to some of our guys. It happens. This was one of the most talented college baseball rosters in the last decade at least.

Ultimately Anderson getting himself suspended costed us more than anything imo. That should have never happened. Hopefully Vitello and the staff learn alot because next year we can also make a serious run.

Deleted

I thought it was a mistake to pull Sewell as well. His stuff was good. Fielding error wasn’t his fault.
From my point of view, I thought Sewell has off from the get go. He normally pounds it down low. On Sunday, he threw several high pitches. I thought Tony pulled him at a perfect time…after 9 pitches.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Excellent post and analysis. Sewell was our right handed closer and he just couldn't get the job done this time and hold the game close. Connell's struggles against their righties proved Peterson correct. Tony has all but conceded that he made poor moves at this critical part of the game, and has taken the responsibility for it. But there was more to it than all that. I think in hindsight that our team, including the pitching staff, was pretty well spent emotionally and physically after winning of the SEC Tourney and getting behind twice by 4 runs in the regional.
I was all for winning the SEC tourney one time. Now that we’ve done that, curious if we should kinda play the reserves a bunch next year in Hoover??? Pace ourselves maybe….I’m undecided….?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back