Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean it's simple math by guy...there's only 44 in the 2 deep and -your- eyes are useless in this discussion. You can't make a blanket assertion about HS star rankings then choose to discard those rankings because of the "actual talent" or "eye test" the rankings from 247 composite are what I am looking at and below is how the numbers stack up.

Texas
2022: 2-5 stars, 19-4 stars
2021: 1-5 star, 10-4 stars
2020: 1-5 star, 15-4 stars
2019: 2-5 stars, 15-4 stars
Total: 6-5 stars, 59-4 stars

North Carolina (who I said was borderline to begin with...but will still show my work)
2022: 2-5 stars, 8-4 stars
2021: 1-5 star, 11-4 stars
2020: 1-5 star, 9-4 stars
2019: 0-5 star, 5-4 stars
Total: 4-5 stars, 33-4 stars
I guess I don’t get your argument we started with saying our team is thin on depth because we don’t have 4-5 stars backing up every position and now we are trying to justify Texas and North Carolina being on the same footing depth wise with a team like Bama because recruiting rankings says they are….as far as depth is concerned we have good backups everywhere besides maybe linebacker and secondary if that makes us a “thin team” in retrospect then that’s your right to have as an opinion

Yep. But it happens. Patriots undefeated season team is without question one of the best teams the NFL has seen and they didn't win it all. Peyton's 2013 Broncos also were a dominant team that you could argue was the best ever and didn't win it all. 2015-16 Warriors team as well.

I don't think we'll see another baseball season this dominant either, but I think we very well could see a CWS title from a team that gets hot at the right time and closes the season strong.
Oh...I absolutely agree that we will get more chances at titles. I just don't think we will ever see a team that dominant again...hell there have been very few in the history of college baseball that were that dominant statistically.

Also...let's try to reel in things a bit.

We finished 7-6, we aren't trying to be on Alabama and Georgia's level. We're trying to get on the level of these other teams that are winning 9 or more games on the regular and have mostly 4/5 star talent on their roster, then when we have that sort of depth and talent we'll be able to (hopefully) be on the same level as Alabama and Georgia.
Talent wise on offense especially I thought we held our own really well..It was mainly the 2nd and 4th quarters we had issues thats purely a depth thing which I think were slowly but surely building on.No matter how this upcoming season goes though hopefully fans have the patience to see this thing out cause I believe year 3 is when we really will reap the benefits.

The point remains…. We had too 15 classes but several guys were overrated…. Most of our players that left went to a lower level school…. Some of the teams that you mentioned have had similar issues.

First off, we had exactly 2 top 15 classes since 2017 according to the 247 Composite Team Rankings

And where the 4/5 stars that made up those classes went isn't at all relevant. The topic is teams with 4 & 5 star depth in their 2 deep, something we do not have. Because one we haven't had top 15 classes consistently enough to stack the depth and because two most of the top rated players have left in the portal. Sure other teams have attrition but we had the MOST in college football, and it was brought up in almost every game we played last season. Have some of you all just blocked this out because Heupel had a well above expectations season and is killing it in recruiting now?

We're still behind a good portion of the elite teams...hell there's probably 5 or 6 teams in the SEC right now with better depth and talent than us. And we will face at least 3 of them this year.

I guess I don’t get your argument we started with saying our team is thin on depth because we don’t have 4-5 stars backing up every position and now we are trying to justify Texas and North Carolina being on the same footing depth wise with a team like Bama because recruiting rankings says they are….as far as depth is concerned we have good backups everywhere besides maybe linebacker and secondary if that makes us a “thin team” in retrospect then that’s your right to have as an opinion

No we're not saying that, you are.

We started with thin on depth, you argued that depth only existed on 3-5 teams. Then it was pointed out it's more like 10-12 teams and that was proven using the rankings and star system for recruiting...now you're hung up on Bama/Georgia still for some reason.

We're thin as McGill pointed out. And as BigSteve pointed out that we need to focus on getting our depth in the same realm as the top 10-12 teams in the country (not just Bama/Georgia). We're closer to being on equal footing with the other 8-10 teams that do have 4 and 5 star depth in their 2 deep than we are Bama/Georgia...so that should be the first step we're taking.

First off, we had exactly 2 top 15 classes since 2017 according to the 247 Composite Team Rankings

And where the 4/5 stars that made up those classes went isn't at all relevant. The topic is teams with 4 & 5 star depth in their 2 deep, something we do not have. Because one we haven't had top 15 classes consistently enough to stack the depth and because two most of the top rated players have left in the portal. Sure other teams have attrition but we had the MOST in college football, and it was brought up in almost every game we played last season. Have some of you all just blocked this out because Heupel had a well above expectations season and is killing it in recruiting now?

We're still behind a good portion of the elite teams...hell there's probably 5 or 6 teams in the SEC right now with better depth and talent than us. And we will face at least 3 of them this year.
Texas and UNC have elite depth according to you lol not sure your opinion is all that great

I mean you look at yearly recruiting and attrition there are way more than 5 total teams that have 4 stars at the majority of their 2 depth (which is what BigSteve was saying, not that they were matching what Bama/Georgia have)

Alabama
Georgia
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Texas
Michigan
Clemson
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

Borderline teams
Miami
LSU
Oregon
USC
Florida
North Carolina (have stacked up 3 top 20 classes now)
No we're not saying that, you are.

We started with thin on depth, you argued that depth only existed on 3-5 teams. Then it was pointed out it's more like 10-12 teams and that was proven using the rankings and star system for recruiting...now you're hung up on Bama/Georgia still for some reason.

We're thin as McGill pointed out. And as BigSteve pointed out that we need to focus on getting our depth in the same realm as the top 10-12 teams in the country (not just Bama/Georgia). We're closer to being on equal footing with the other 8-10 teams that do have 4 and 5 star depth in their 2 deep than we are Bama/Georgia...so that should be the first step we're taking.

We’re thin…but you guys fail to say where we are thin at and continue to use recruiting ranking to justify your argument lol

Texas and UNC have elite depth according to you lol not sure your opinion is all that great

Show me where I said they had elite depth.

I said "these teams all have 4 & 5 star in their 2 deep"

Then I did the simple task of counting up how many of those recruits they landed in that last 4 classes (for Texas & UNC). Never said anyone had elite depth, simply made a statement and backed it up using facts.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I was speaking to your other point:
Oh...I think recruiting will suffer if we go toxic due to not meeting a lot of our fans expectations.

We know what we have on offense, and that is great and all, but on defense the only player that has actually DONE anything statistically noteworthy is Banks. We have several guys with POTENTIAL littered around the defensive roster, but nobody that has proven anything.

On offense we are great with Hooker, but if he goes down..once again there are guys with potential but haven't proven anything. At WR we are great with Tillman, but once again a bunch of guys with potential that haven't proven anything. Same deal at RB with Small and company.

The OL is a concern...they did well some games, and were horrid some games and nobody has really done much of anything to give a ton of confidence that they will be above average as a unit.

TE...I don't even know what we are supposed to expect from them..but they look solid.

If a lot of the POTENTIAL that is littered all over the defensive and offensive rosters pans out, then yeah..we could have a really good season record wise, but like I said...I will be danged if I EXPECT it.

Most of this is directed at others who questioned me on the "thin roster" comment. I'm just lazy and didn't want to type out two separate posts..lol.

We’re thin…but you guys fail to say where we are thin at and continue to use recruiting ranking to justify your argument lol

I'm not sure if it's the leftover aggression from how baseball season ended, the oppressive heat outside, or general boredom of the offseason, but man we are all over the place...

For sure...OL depth hasn't been cultivated yet, LB depth is still TBD Willis bailing didn't help either (happy we returned Banks & Beasley though), and the Secondary still hasn't proven anything yet and lost Theo & Taylor.

Feel good about WRs (good mix of returning production, talent, and new guys to be competitive for reps and this offense rewards them well if they work hard), RBs I'm honestly surprised people aren't more positive about this group 4 of our top 5 in rushing yards return (counting Hooker) and JWT as well as Sampson give some talent/depth there too. I also think the QB room is in the best shape it has been in awhile, I get most people think Joe is wasting a scholarship but having a guy with that talent and knowledge willing to stay on roster knowing he's not starting is big for creating culture with the young guys. Navy may never start a snap for us, but I also think he's a big addition to that room. Tayven is gonna have a year head start on Nico and plenty of motivation to make sure he's prepared for that QB battle next season so that'll help everyone develop.

Also DL is in a very good spot. Happy Baron decided to stay put and with the incoming talent that group could be the catalyst for this defense being average to elite.

Texas and North Carolina are we being serious here? Where does the eye test come into play because im talking actual talent that is translated to on field results and Bama and Georgia are on their own platform, recruiting and how these players are ranked every year is subjective and usually there is a reason those players are choosing teams like UNC
He listed 15 teams and provided quantifiable proof to back the statement.

I guess I don’t get your argument we started with saying our team is thin on depth because we don’t have 4-5 stars backing up every position

No, I stated that to have the success to meet the expectations that McGill mentioned, which he identified as 9-10 wins, that most 10-win teams have 4-star talent, 2-deep.

You asked for what teams other than UGA and Bama have 4-star talent, 2-deep across the board. A list of teams that have just that was provided.

Show me where I said anyone had elite depth.

I said "these teams all have 4 & 5 star in their 2 deep"

Then I did the simple task of counting up how many of those recruits they landed in that last 4 classes (for Texas & UNC). Never said anyone had elite depth, simply made a statement and backed it up using facts.
Your facts was using recruiting rankings to justify that Texas and UNC have talent in the two deep similar to Bama but we both know that’s not true…Ohio state, Oregon, Oklahoma, and maybe Clemson have that outside of UGA and Bama. Let’s not try to justify other teams in recruiting rankings as being similar as the capstone for looking at our “limited” depth when we have used the transfer portal the past two years to fix it. Recruiting rankings doesn’t give credence to your argument when teams like Texas and UNC barely win 6 games.

I'm not sure if it's the leftover aggression from how baseball season ended, the oppressive heat outside, or general boredom of the offseason, but man we are all over the place...

So we’re thin at like two positions cool…that makes us a thin team overall I guess

No, I stated that to have the success to meet the expectations that McGill mentioned, which he identified as 9-10 wins, that most 10-win teams have 4-star talent, 2-deep.
Quantifiable proof? That’s the word you want to use lol this all from my statement that there is maybe 3 teams in college that have Bama and Georgia depth

So we’re thin at like two positions cool…that makes us a thin team overall I guess
Lol..ok I will play along...what PROVEN to be way above average player do we have at any position other than one QB, one WR, one RB and one LB...much less PROVEN depth players at any position?

Your facts was using recruiting rankings to justify that Texas and UNC have talent in the two deep similar to Bama but we both know that’s not true…Ohio state, Oregon, Oklahoma, and maybe Clemson have that outside of UGA and Bama. Let’s not try to justify other teams in recruiting rankings as being similar as the capstone for looking at our “limited” depth when we have used the transfer portal the past two years to fix it. Recruiting rankings doesn’t give credence to your argument when teams like Texas and UNC barely win 6 games.

Yeah...cause that's not subjective. It's reviewable by anyone willing to look. What else am I going to use to discuss recruiting rankings...except for a website that does it?

Also again...I'm not saying they are similar to Bama YOU ARE (still for some damn reason). I'm saying here's the rankings, which just proves those teams have enough 4 and 5 stars on their roster to make up their 2 deep.

I'll rephrase the only point I made by asking a question.

Do Texas and UNC have 44 4 and 5 stars on their roster of 85?

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Oh...I absolutely agree that we will get more chances at titles. I just don't think we will ever see a team that dominant again...hell there have been very few in the history of college baseball that were that dominant statistically.
That's why a lot of people were saying that they're potentially the best team ever.

Oline and LB/Secondary are the question marks and where we seem to be thin or unproven... those will certainly determine our season this year... pretty simple. We get solid, sustained Oline play/coverage and can get off the field on 3rd and longs, we should do very well...

Reactions: AF_VOL and MoCo_Vol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back