Proposed new SEC schedule, who does UT get?

To me they will always be just Southwest Conference teams playing in the SEC.

I know that Tennessee has been in the wilderness for the last twenty years so stones/glass houses, but it's hard not to feel this way given that none of the expansion teams have won the conference. That'll change by 2030 (anyone doubt Oklahoma is winning it in their first five years?), but until that happens it's just the core ten and a bunch of sidekicks.

Reactions: WillisWG
I think that the new scheduling model will make sure that this will be addressed. It sounds like a 4 year player will have played in every SEC stadium by the time he has moved on from his college career. I’m excited about this possibility. It’s absurd that UGA has never travelled to aTm in 10 years. That won’t happen now.
This is the big reason I am good with it. The 3-6-6 model is absolutely perfect. Preserves the oldest/most important rivalries yearly, but makes the others frequent enough that they aren't "lost".

I think that the new scheduling model will make sure that this will be addressed. It sounds like a 4 year player will have played in every SEC stadium by the time he has moved on from his college career. I’m excited about this possibility. It’s absurd that UGA has never travelled to aTm in 10 years. That won’t happen now.

In 1968 we played Georgia for the first time in 31 years. We played them again 1969, then again in 72/73, 80/81 and 88/89. They weren't rivals then but are now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
In 1968 we played Georgia for the first time in 31 years. We played them again 1969, them again in 72/73, 80/81 and 88/89. They weren't rivals then but are now.
I didn’t realize it was that infrequent with Georgia and also Florida. I think there’s going to be crazy new rivalries that will be born out of the new format. You just gave a great example as to why I think that .

Reactions: WillisWG
In 1968 we played Georgia for the first time in 31 years. We played them again 1969, them again in 72/73, 80/81 and 88/89. They weren't rivals then but are now.
I hate Georgia and will never set foot in their stadium again. Same with Florida. I will go anywhere else in the SEC, but not those two. They deserve to play each other 4 times a ear so they can beat each other as often as possible. I would never take my grandchildren to either stadium. In fact, I would like to see them replaced in the SEC with Ga. Tech and Clemson.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize it was that infrequent with Georgia and also Florida. I think there’s going to be crazy new rivalries that will be born out of the new format. You just gave a great example as to why I think that .
Yep. Think about what happened in the first expansion, we end up with three teams in Georgia, Florida and South Carolina on our schedule that we didn't have any sort of real rivalry with. We lost more than we gained.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

One permanent/seven/seven is picking up stream, which is incredibly frustrating. The CFP will expand eventually, and there's no way that eight conference games is worth more than nine.

The SEC needs to man up and get rid of (or strongly limit) cupcake games. The only positives I see from scheduling random G5 and FCS teams are extra wins (hopefully) to make your record look better and easier access to games for families/cash-conscious members of the fanbase since these games are inherently less interesting thus much cheaper to attend. The power conferences can markedly bolster their profits by playing more meaningful games and essentially bully the NCAA into augmenting bowl eligibility if sending a team to the damn Gasparilla Bowl is really that important.

If you absolutely must play a cupcake, make it UTC or UTM rotating on a yearly basis since it's keeping the money in the family so to speak; major schools do not need to be funding minor schools via buy games.

Looks like the fans will get screwed again. If UT wants to play an Ohio Valley Conference schedule then go join that conference. No wonder attendance keeps dropping. When are we going to get leadership over there who have gonads?

Looks like the fans will get screwed again. If UT wants to play an Ohio Valley Conference schedule then go join that conference. No wonder attendance keeps dropping. When are we going to get leadership over there who have gonads?
I prefer a 9 SEC game schedule but I also prefer playing the same amount of SEC games every year. At least, I don't have to wait 12 years or more to see every SEC team in Knoxville every 4 years. I also believe the SEC Championship game should be played by the two high-test ranked teams regardless of Devision. Let's send our best to play in the NCAA Champion Series.

One permanent/seven/seven is picking up stream, which is incredibly frustrating. The CFP will expand eventually, and there's no way that eight conference games is worth more than nine.

The SEC needs to man up and get rid of (or strongly limit) cupcake games. The only positives I see from scheduling random G5 and FCS teams are extra wins (hopefully) to make your record look better and easier access to games for families/cash-conscious members of the fanbase since these games are inherently less interesting thus much cheaper to attend. The power conferences can markedly bolster their profits by playing more meaningful games and essentially bully the NCAA into augmenting bowl eligibility if sending a team to the damn Gasparilla Bowl is really that important.

If you absolutely must play a cupcake, make it UTC or UTM rotating on a yearly basis since it's keeping the money in the family so to speak; major schools do not need to be funding minor schools via buy games.

The 1-7 model is absolutely stupid.

If it's 1-7-7 (puke) I'd think it would be:

Bama-Auburn
Georgia-Florida
Tennessee-Vandy
Ole Miss-Mississippi St
Texas-Oklahoma
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina

Or something very close to that. That sucks. I'll be pissed if the SEC goes that route. A 16 team conference needs to play 9 conference games.

3rd Saturday in October? Gone. Deep South's oldest rivalry? Gone. LSU - Ole Miss is a pretty big rivalry in that neck of the woods. I was looking forward to having aTm vs Texas back yearly.

Man, that's a lot of tradition to only have around half the time.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
If it's 1-7-7 (puke) I'd think it would be:

Bama-Auburn
Georgia-Florida
Tennessee-Vandy
Ole Miss-Mississippi St
Texas-Oklahoma
LSU-Texas A&M
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina

Or something very close to that. That sucks. I'll be pissed if the SEC goes that route. A 16 team conference needs to play 9 conference games.

3rd Saturday in October? Gone. Deep South's oldest rivalry? Gone. LSU - Ole Miss is a pretty big rivalry in that neck of the woods. I was looking forward to having aTm vs Texas back yearly.

Man, that's a lot of tradition to only have around half the time.

That model is absolutely awful. The programs that favor it are the programs that need an extra canon fodder opponent to barely make a crap bowl game.

Well, it may be a moot point now, but this is what I came up with on the 3-6-6 schedule. I tried to keep it relatively balanced while preserving as many rivalries as possible.View attachment 460902
The only one that doesnt look right to me is Alabama and Miss St. I feel like Ole Miss is a better, more natural rival to Alabama than Miss St is. Put Ole Miss in the Miss St slot and give Vandy to Miss State.

Reactions: UTwild82
The only one that doesnt look right to me is Alabama and Miss St. I feel like Ole Miss is a better, more natural rival to Alabama than Miss St is. Put Ole Miss in the Miss St slot and give Vandy to Miss State.
I initially thought the exact same thing. I tried to look up who has played who the most when doing this. Turns out Ole Miss and Vandy have played roughly 90 times and Bama and Miss St are around 100, so that is why I did it that way.

LSU vs Kentucky was another that doesn't really look right to me, but they've played over 60 times (or somewhere in that ballpark) so it worked.

Well, it may be a moot point now, but this is what I came up with on the 3-6-6 schedule. I tried to keep it relatively balanced while preserving as many rivalries as possible.View attachment 460902
This is exactly what it should be. These are the teams which we have played the most and are our traditional opponents. It also the most convenient for our fan across the State.

Reactions: UTwild82
Give us the four pods.

It’s not that hard.

P1:
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia

P2:
Alabama
Ole Miss
Florida
Auburn

P3:
Texas A&M
Missouri
Mississippi State
LSU

P4:
Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Vanderbilt

Give us the four pods.

It’s not that hard.

P1:
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia

P2:
Alabama
Ole Miss
Florida
Auburn

P3:
Texas A&M
Missouri
Mississippi State
LSU

P4:
Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Vanderbilt
They have already decided to not go with the 4 pods. That was my first choice, but we are not making the decisions on this one.

Reactions: Elhanan
They have already decided to not go with the 4 pods. That was my first choice, but we are not making the decisions on this one.

Yeah I just hate it.

I guess the 7+1 would benefit us most with those two options because we’ll likely keep Vandy. So the road to the championship game is easier.

Give us the four pods.

It’s not that hard.

P1:
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia

P2:
Alabama
Ole Miss
Florida
Auburn

P3:
Texas A&M
Missouri
Mississippi State
LSU

P4:
Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Vanderbilt
No freaking pods…..no divisions either.
1 permanent rivalry game for each school. Rotate the rest.

I just want to play Texas every year. But I guess I'll have to settle on every other year which is fine. I hope we make it a game that wins a trophy. One side paint burnt orange and the other with all the years of victory on it Vols orange!!! GBO!!!

Alabama is our biggest rival. Our rivalry with Georgia is almost even with the dawgs pulling ahead a couple of games only in recent years.
We definitely have a rivalry with Florida which almost always seemed to have our number the last decade of games. Kentucky is one of our oldest rivalries and of course Vanderbilt is our in state rival.

(Sidenote: This part isn't completely on topic but still relevant because of the mention of Oklahoma and Texas joining conference play.)

I'm eager to see our Heupel-led Tennessee Vols get our revenge against the Sooners as soon as possible while the Texas games should
be a lot of fun what with the UT, orange/burnt orange, Alamo and perenially one of the largest revenue earning football programs on Earth.

Reactions: Volmac2022

VN Store

Back