Time for SEC to consider a move

wmcovol

Birmingham falls again in 2021 Census estimates, now third largest city in Alabama

This is almost equal to the office being in Chattanooga or Jackson, MIssissippi......

The conference office should be in a major, vibrant city with infrastructure of major airport, major media outlets, facilities for hosting major events, etc. If the league stays in Bham, they may be the ones turning out the lights.......

Reactions: tn4elvis
Birmingham falls again in 2021 Census estimates, now third largest city in Alabama

This is almost equal to the office being in Chattanooga or Jackson, MIssissippi......

The conference office should be in a major, vibrant city with infrastructure of major airport, major media outlets, facilities for hosting major events, etc. If the league stays in Bham, they may be the ones turning out the lights.......
Look at it this way . The rent is cheaper on the trailer in Birmingham

Not quite - Birmingham is still a much bigger metro than Chattanooga or Jackson, MS. City borders are kind of a funny thing. The City of Atlanta proper only has 500,000 people in it, which gives a totally misleading picture of how many people actually live there.

However the fact that the SEC office is still there is pretty funny to me. It should have been moved to Atlanta years ago.

I dont really care, but why bother moving it? If there are large scale events that need to be hosted, just hold them elsewhere.

How many events does Birmingham even host, and when has the size of the city been a restriction? Football, the biggest sport, is held in Atlanta already, so it seems like they have the logistics of where events should be held figured out.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
I dont really care, but why bother moving it? If there are large scale events that need to be hosted, just hold them elsewhere.

How many events does Birmingham even host, and when has the size of the city been a restriction? Football, the biggest sport, is held in Atlanta already, so it seems like they have the logistics of where events should be held figured out.
Because at this rate, by 2278, the SEC will be the only thing left in Birmingham! How embarrassing!

Not quite - Birmingham is still a much bigger metro than Chattanooga or Jackson, MS. City borders are kind of a funny thing. The City of Atlanta proper only has 500,000 people in it, which gives a totally misleading picture of how many people actually live there.

However the fact that the SEC office is still there is pretty funny to me. It should have been moved to Atlanta Nashville years ago.

Bham hosts very few. They have limited facilities. Imagine the possibilities of events in Atl, Nashville or Dallas for example. Instead of the spring meetings in Destin at an aged Hilton, an “Espy” like event honoring coaches & athletes in any of those cities. Logistics getting to Bham from most new SEC towns (college station, Austin, Norman) suck.

Bham hosts very few. They have limited facilities. Imagine the possibilities of events in Atl, Nashville or Dallas for example. Instead of the spring meetings in Destin at an aged Hilton, an “Espy” like event honoring coaches & athletes in any of those cities. Logistics getting to Bham from most new SEC towns (college station, Austin, Norman) suck.
Yeah but why do we have to move the offices to host somewhere else?

Reactions: Lawrence Wright

“We” don’t. Keep it in a dying a$$ city. That makes a lot of sense.

Listen, Vol fans have long bitched about the conference office being 50 miles from Alabama campus. Every ee in the office is probably a bamer. If you think that’s good, fine. This is a legitimate reason to leave that town for bigger venues. The league is growing. I can’t see keeping an headquarters in a dying city with less than 250k population, limited access for travel & media. Major corporations move to better locations all the time. They see it but you obviously cant. Go for it.

Last edited:
We could just not have offices like the PAC-12. They’ve been paying ridiculous rent payment in San Francisco and decided to let everyone work remotely and shut it down altogether. Very PAC 12 of them.

The ACC office is in the middle of a relocation tug of war. The obvious choice is Charlotte, but Orlando of all places is trying very hard to get the ACC headquartered down there. I guess there’s a tie in w/ the ACC’s ESPN deal (terrible deal btw) and Disney could provide everything they need.

We could just not have offices like the PAC-12. They’ve been paying ridiculous rent payment in San Francisco and decided to let everyone work remotely and shut it down altogether. Very PAC 12 of them.

The ACC office is in the middle of a relocation tug of war. The obvious choice is Charlotte, but Orlando of all places is trying very hard to get the ACC headquartered down there. I guess there’s a tie in w/ the ACC’s ESPN deal (terrible deal btw) and Disney could provide everything they need.

There are more tourist attractions in Florida than in North Carolina.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
“We” don’t. Keep it in a dying a$$ city. That makes a lot of sense.

Listen, Vol fans have long bitched about the conference office being 50 miles from Alabama campus. Every ee in the office is probably a bamer. If you think that’s good, fine. This is a legitimate reason to leave that town for bigger venues. The league is growing. I can’t see keeping an headquarters in a dying city with less than 250k population, limited access for travel & media. Major corporations move to better locations all the time. They see it but you obviously cant. Go for it.
So moving to Atlanta where they are less than 50 miles from UGAs campus is supposed to be a huge improvement? You know UGA, that just won it all, and already has one of the best set ups in all of college sports, yet alone the SEC. And you want to move the offices to the new king's backyard?

We can leave the offices wherever, and host all the events elsewhere. As far as I know there is no requirement to have events where the offices are located, so it doesnt matter if it's a dying city or not. It literally changes nothing to move it to any SEC city.

I am not worried about making life easier for the desk sitters in the office to be able to walk across the street for whatever tournament or game is going on. And replacing elephants with Bulldogs doesnt help us any. Maybe we should require some Affirmative Action hiring policy, each SEC school has to be represented in the SEC offices. Yay equality.

Move it or not, I really dont care. A bad argument was presented as justification and I am simply pointing out how a change wont fix anything.

Find a spot in Atlanta, Nashville, etc that won't charge rent and offer to cover all of the moving expenses. You might be able to convince them.

Georgia has never had the influence in the SEC close to Alabama. In addition, Atlanta, only i city I suggested by the way, is a melting pot for graduates of all SEC schools. Ga would not have the influence that Bama has had for decades.
But isnt the argument that the influence follows the office?

UGA would be the closest SEC school. And while Atlanta is a melting pot, we have @joevol33 and all the other dog fans barking all over the place, and they are the biggest group by a long shot. Been down here for 9+ years, this is UGA territory.

But isnt the argument that the influence follows the office?

UGA would be the closest SEC school. And while Atlanta is a melting pot, we have @joevol33 and all the other dog fans barking all over the place, and they are the biggest group by a long shot. Been down here for 9+ years, this is UGA territory.
I will be there in about an hour to set you on fire! I hate Georgia!!

Reactions: Plecoptera
I get what you’re saying about the city but I don’t really see why they should move the offices. I always assumed they were in Birmingham because it’s centrally located in the SEC footprint of that day. I guess with expansion Memphis makes more sense now but I have a feeling people will complain about that too. Is there a event currently that you think Birmingham isn’t suitable for or something?

Reactions: LouderVol
Those talking about "events" are missing the point.

The point is that the SEC officials are constantly surrounded by people from one school, of one fandom. Not just in the office, but in everyday life. That will naturally lead to some biases.

If you move the office to a big city- Nashville, Atlanta, or even Memphis- you end up with a lot less impact from an individual school, if for no reason other than the sheer noise and volume of people that don't give a rip that live and operate all around. You can't "escape" it in Birmingham. It's not big enough. You can in Nashville (maybe), or Memphis, and definitely in Atlanta.

VN Store

Back