If UT had to give up a tradition, which one?

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
Due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Nebraska has to give up the long standing tradition of releasing red balloons after the first TD of each home game.
Nebraska football suspending balloon tradition

My query to you Volnation - if UT had for whatever reason to give up a current standing tradition (for the sake of this argument let's say something we have done for at least 10 years...because we all know third down for what needs to go !!!) what tradition would you not be heartbroken to see leave? Why?

Conversely, is there a tradition so ingrained that it would make you question why you watch Volunteer football if dropped?

Someone fill me in on what all of the "Traditions" are:
Vol Walk
Running through the T
Playing Rocky Top after every score
Checker Neyland?
Pushups by the cheerleaders after every score. (I could give this one up)
Smokey at the games
tailgating before/after games
scoring 30+ points against FL and still losing
What else are traditions??????

Edit: is "Woo" a Tradition? I know it has been done for over 10 years.

Last edited:
Vol Walk
Running through the T
Checker Neyland?
Smokey at the games
Yeah - probably the push-ups

I think playing Rocky Top after every score is a bit much now. Kinda wearing it out, especially with Heups offense. Not saying give it up but come up with something new after scores and save Rocky Top for beginning of games and after wins.
Maybe we could come up with different Rocky Top renditions for each score, you know a Jazz RT, a Blue's RT, a rock-roll, Death Metal RT, you get the picture.

Vol Walk
Running through the T
Checker Neyland?
Smokey at the games

Edit: is "Woo" a Tradition? I know it has been done for over 10 years.
How about the Vol Walk
Also, not 'sanctioned' by the university - Vol Navy

I think playing Rocky Top after every score is a bit much now. Kinda wearing it out, especially with Heups offense. Not saying give it up but come up with something new after scores and save Rocky Top for beginning of games and after wins.

I could not disagree more on this one. That is one that sticks in other teams and their fans minds after they get taken to the barn for a whipping.

Just ask any long time Texas A&M fan who was at the 2004 Cotton Bowl as they still talk about hearing Rocky Top and that they are still trying to get that tune out of their heads.

I could not disagree more on this one. That is one that sticks in other teams and their fans minds after they get taken to the barn for a whipping.

Just ask any long time Texas A&M fan who was at the 2004 Cotton Bowl as they still talk about hearing Rocky Top and that they are still trying to get that tune out of their heads.
GREAT POINT - the psychological effect in-game is likely unmeasurable.

How about removing Down the Field before the extra point

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol

VN Store

Back