Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

So in the course of reading an article on the Florida dude the cops fried for riding his dirt bike like an excitable teenager in traffic I learned that it's a felony in Florida to pop a wheelie. Seriously, article listed charges and then added he was facing a felony for popping 3 wheelies. I mean that seems way over the top. A wheelie? That said, as extensive as his burns are there's only a 35% chance he will live to be tried. Every bit of him is fried except for his face/head.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
So in the course of reading an article on the Florida dude the cops fried for riding his dirt bike like an excitable teenager in traffic I learned that it's a felony in Florida to pop a wheelie. Seriously, article listed charges and then added he was facing a felony for popping 3 wheelies. I mean that seems way over the top. A wheelie? That said, as extensive as his burns are there's only a 35% chance he will live to be tried. Every bit of him is fried except for his face/head.
You ever had one of those ******* idiots nearly cause you to crash on the Howard Franklin bridge by screaming between you and the cars next to you, on his crotch rocket while popping gears and doing a wheelie at 90-100+ mph? I hate those stupod f'n idiots...they just about caused a four car pile up with my whole family in our van once. It was a miracle no one got hurt.

I don't know what story you're talking about or what happened in it...but the idiots that do that in florida (they run in packs of four to five or more in the T-Bay area) are probably why those laws you think are stupid exist...context context context.

You ever had one of those ******* idiots nearly cause you to crash on the Howard Franklin bridge by screaming between you and the cars next to you, on his crotch rocket while popping gears and doing a wheelie at 90-100+ mph? I hate those stupod f'n idiots...they just about caused a four car pile up with my whole family in our van once. It was a miracle no one got hurt.

I don't know what story you're talking about or what happened in it...but the idiots that do that in florida (they run in packs of four to five or more in the T-Bay area) are probably why those laws you think are stupid exist...context context context.

They're annoying but the cops literally fried the dude. He weaved away from them and stopped for gas and the dummies fired a taser AFTER having knocked over the bike and being aware that they'd just spilled gas all over the place (even shouted on his bodycam footage that there was gas). The officer then fired his taser into all of it and set the rider, himself and 2 other cops on fire because he caused a vapor explosion. The rider however is the only one that got burnt to a crisp. They have charged that cop with misdemeanor negligence and tbh, I don't know if it's the only thing they had or what but it seems like that's pretty low considering he set everyone including two other cops on fire.

I just genuinely don't get a wheelie being a felony though. How is a wheelie a felony???

Reactions: jave36
They're annoying but the cops literally fried the dude. He weaved away from them and stopped for gas and the dummies fired a taser AFTER having knocked over the bike and being aware that they'd just spilled gas all over the place (even shouted on his bodycam footage that there was gas). The officer then fired his taser into all of it and set the rider, himself and 2 other cops on fire because he caused a vapor explosion. The rider however is the only one that got burnt to a crisp. They have charged that cop with misdemeanor negligence and tbh, I don't know if it's the only thing they had or what but it seems like that's pretty low considering he set everyone including two other cops on fire.

I just genuinely don't get a wheelie being a felony though. How is a wheelie a felony???
Cops are the worst

Not having cops there is the worst

Eh depends on the scenario. Many, many, times, not having a cop present would've led to a better outcome for the deceased they were called to help. All praise to those who actually know how to deal with people and defuse them but far too many treat welfare calls like SWAT operations.

I would honestly be terrified to call my local police for help if the OH was having an episode from his illness. One of the men who lived in my subdivision and helped raise all us kids, went out to eat with my parents, and who was at his own home on the lake was recently gunned down by police at his home. He was white, wealthy and in his 70s. You might've seen the story on the local news just a few months ago. Police had gone there to do a welfare check.

Last edited:
Eh depends on the scenario. Many, many, times, not having a cop present would've led to a better outcome for the deceased they were called to help. All praise to those who actually know how to deal with people and defuse them but far too many treat welfare calls like SWAT operations.

I would honestly be terrified to call my local police for help if the OH was having an episode from his illness. One of the men who lived in my subdivision and helped raise all us kids, went out to eat with my parents, and who was at his own home on the lake was recently gunned down by police at his home. He was white, wealthy and in his 70s. You might've seen the story on the local news just a few months ago. Police had gone there to do a welfare check.
People act like it's a race issue, but I think it's an issue with law enforcement training and ideology. I saw a lot of police brutality and unnecessary force with college kids, all of whom were white. Not indicting all cops, but there is definitely an issue of a 70 year old crazy man gets shot in his home. There has to be a better way.

People act like it's a race issue, but I think it's an issue with law enforcement training and ideology. I saw a lot of police brutality and unnecessary force with college kids, all of whom were white. Not indicting all cops, but there is definitely an issue of a 70 year old crazy man gets shot in his home. There has to be a better way.

I think 90 percent of it is a training issue. Forces don't have high standards when it comes to training and many have no real training on how to simply deal with people and defuse situations. So many police shootings would never happen if they simply knew how to deal with people and had training in de-escalation.

ETA: Also, we need a mental health unit that can handle the mentally ill and those with diseases like Alzheimer's. Cops who are trained to ride along or go to scenes where people are in need of hospitalization but who may be violent or aggressive (their basic job should be to help EMTs and take control of scenes that might be chaotic). I don't know how it is hospitals (usually a group of nurses and helpers) can control folks who are ill without killing them but they do it 24/7, usually with just simple talk and teamwork. (Both physical and chemical restraints really do take an act of congress to use).

Last edited:
I think 90 percent of it is a training issue. Forces don't have high standards when it comes to training and many have no real training on how to simply deal with people and defuse situations. So many police shootings would never happen if they simply knew how to deal with people and had training in de-escalation.

ETA: Also, we need a mental health unit that can handle the mentally ill and those with diseases like Alzheimer's. Cops who are trained to ride along or go to scenes where people are in need of hospitalization but who may be violent or aggressive (their basic job should be to help EMTs and take control of scenes that might be chaotic). I don't know how it is hospitals (usually a group of nurses and helpers) can control folks who are ill without killing them but they do it 24/7, usually with just simple talk and teamwork. (Both physical and chemical restraints really do take an act of congress to use).
I work in healthcare and the worse that has ever happened to me is being stabbed by a fork….. Healthcare professionals are not in violent interactions daily…. How many times do you think it would take for you to be shot at before you start reacting quicker…. It’s very easy to discuss when we are sitting on the sidelines. I feel the answer is better weapons that can subdue perps without killing them.

I work in healthcare and the worse that has ever happened to me is being stabbed by a fork….. Healthcare professionals are not in violent interactions daily…. How many times do you think it would take for you to be shot at before you start reacting quicker…. It’s very easy to discuss when we are sitting on the sidelines. I feel the answer is better weapons that can subdue perps without killing them.

You're in hostile/aggressive situations quite a lot at hospitals. They don't turn violent because of the way things are handled. But no you're not in gun situations constantly. Those aren't the ones I'm addressing and tbh, most cops rarely encounter gun situations. Those are problems in particular areas that a set few have to deal with frequently but the rest don't really deal with a lot.

I think I read where there is a Police force out West that has had success with deploying a 'softer' approach in large group settings, to de escalate. IE large angry mob, cops not carrying shields and batons helps to not incite crowd.

Reactions: UTProf

You obviously have never been in or trained with law enforcement, never have been in stressful situations on a regular basis, put up with verbal/physical confrontations.

Considering the thousands of dangerous situations law enforcement deal with every single day, not too bad. Sure it can be improved but when you look at the big picture, law enforcement does a pretty darn good job. Do police make dumb mistakes, sure. Have you ever done anything stupid? How about the thousands of correct decisions law enforcement make every single day. Oh, the media very rarely cover this.

With regards to hospitals, by the time these people reach hospitals they have already dealt with law enforcement. Further, the ones that act up in the hospital, security is called or if security cannot handle it, outside law enforcement is called.

Recommendation for you! Quit watching police stories on the woke news channels and do a ride along with law enforcement. Who knows you just might learn something!

I think I read where there is a Police force out West that has had success with deploying a 'softer' approach in large group settings, to de escalate. IE large angry mob, cops not carrying shields and batons helps to not incite crowd.

Deploying Care Bears to quell a mob is the most Left Coast thing ever.

You're in hostile/aggressive situations quite a lot at hospitals. They don't turn violent because of the way things are handled. But no you're not in gun situations constantly. Those aren't the ones I'm addressing and tbh, most cops rarely encounter gun situations. Those are problems in particular areas that a set few have to deal with frequently but the rest don't really deal with a lot.
Comparing the violence cops deal with compared to nurses/doctors is absolutely ridiculous….Hospitals are more of a controlled setting then going to someone’s house not knowing what that person is capable of…

A couple of years ago…. A pastor in Atlanta was protesting police violence…. That police department invited him to come go through training to get an understanding what it was like… At first…. He was cautious deploying his weapon…. By the end of the training… he was running from the simulated bad guy and shooting at everything that moved and even shooting back over his head without even looking where he was shooting…. That pastor gained a whole new perspective for what police were dealing with.
I agree that things could be better but trust me nurses/doctors are not some kind of great de-escalation experts.

Comparing the violence cops deal with compared to nurses/doctors is absolutely ridiculous….Hospitals are more of a controlled setting then going to someone’s house not knowing what that person is capable of…

A couple of years ago…. A pastor in Atlanta was protesting police violence…. That police department invited him to come go through training to get an understanding what it was like… At first…. He was cautious deploying his weapon…. By the end of the training… he was running from the simulated bad guy and shooting at everything that moved and even shooting back over his head without even looking where he was shooting…. That pastor gained a whole new perspective for what police were dealing with.
I agree that things could be better but trust me nurses/doctors are not some kind of great de-escalation experts.

Considering a ton of the incidents I'm talking about are the exact same people I'm not sure where you're getting that. I'm not talking about robberies and shootings. I'm talking about the ability to calm a person without killing them. Nurses know how to do that. EMTs know how to do that. Firemen know how. A ton of random people on the street know how. Police, otoh, have a terrible record with it and tend to simply shoot or taze regardless of the situation. This is a training and police culture issue.

Last edited:
Considering a ton of the incidents I'm talking about are the exact same people I'm not sure where you're getting that. I'm not talking about robberies and shootings. I'm talking about the ability to calm a person without killing them. Nurses know how to do that. EMTs know how to do that. Firemen know how. A ton of random people on the street know how. Police, otoh, have a terrible record with it and tend to simply shoot or taze regardless of the situation. This is a training and police culture issue.
Here is an example of what cops walk into….. Nurses and doctors are in a controlled environment….. cops are typically walking in blind not knowing if the person is armed or many of the details necessary to make a proper decision…. People don’t wear a sign that says…. I’m unarmed…. Just confused, depressed, or whatever else has them acting erratically.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article255811646.html

Where's your stats proving police have a terrible record with this? other than what is shown by woke news, social media, etc? I know there are some cops out there who sometimes make mistakes or use poor judgement. Guess what, they are human and for what they make on average I would venture to say the most underpaid and underappreciated people on the planet! All first responders risk their lives every day and night they are on the job. I for one appreciate each and every one of them for their service!

It's pretty intelligent to apply logic to see how it holds up. Obviously, it didn't, else the officers being defended by your logic wouldn't have a job. I'm all for defending when officers serve their communities well, but it gets dangerous when that insulates against holding responsible when they don't. That's my point.

And if you were old enough to be my dad, you probably would be mature enough not to get worked up and call a stranger "son" on an anonymous internet forum.
How about "sonny boy"? Is that acceptable?

VN Store

Back