Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I heard years ago, on I think the Paul Harvey Show of all places, that 95% of all crime is committed by 5% of the population. If that is true why is it those 5% get all the news coverage. I'm not talking about not reporting the incident but reporting it continually for a week after the fact is not Journalism it is Sensationalism. Bad news is what sells and the media thrive on it.

Celebrity, also outweighs the average person which is understandable to an extent but it's the same there. Each incident whether a death, arrest, marriage, divorce or whatever else, gets a minimum of a week and we must know what every other celebrity tweets about the incident.......really. The Vast majority could care less and if you don't believe me ask around if anybody cares who a Kardashian married......not many.

The media we have today on the National News Outlets do not report the news as much as they give you the Networks opinion. What is worse, EVERY national news reporter is doing one thing above all...trying to write a book..........Walter Cronkite would not be impressed.

The worst part of it all is that the listeners, readers, or viewers are only getting partial or not totally correct information on most matters and the only thing worse than no info is partial or incorrect info. We as a society have become so thin skinned that the truth some find hard to face so they instantly change to what they want to hear these days because sometimes the truth hurts and heaven forbid somebody get their feelings hurt..........this makes trying to make an informed, intelligent decision this day and time difficult if not almost impossible or fool hardy.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
If I was him, I’d say thanks but no thanks right now. I get that he’s instate, but come on. You get to play in front of 100k fans in a stadium named after one of the most legendary coaches in CFB history and beat Kentucky every year or play in a dump named after a crappy grocery store and get beat by Tennessee every year. No brainer to me.
I’m with you on everything but Kroger being a crappy grocery store. I tend to like Kroger groceries.

It's their own definition at this point. Nothing to do with what woke even means to anyone that has ever actually used it in a serious context. Fwiw there are new words to describe what woke originally meant, so it's all good.

It's a moot point now, because the communities that used that word abandoned it about 2-3 years ago because of the above. It's lost its communal context and usage. Now it's just a way to tell someone is out of the loop...like someone saying "hey dog" or "he's one cool cat" 😂 They can have it.
Garbage

Not in this case. You all need to quit saying that about everything you don't agree with. It is getting old.
Clear cut in this case. No other motivation to even fine him…much less suspend him.

I can speak from experience. It was my dream as a kid to be in law enforcement. After researching pay, listening to those who are in and around that profession, and other mitigating factors I chose not too.

My point is only to illustrate, imagine how many other (probably normal people), might choose that career but go into anything but for reasons above?

I try to be a centrist on many issues. But, if your house were on fire or someone were in trouble or you were out protesting against Cops, and crap hits the fan. Who you gonna call?

There's your answer.
Kind of makes you wonder what kind of people generally take the job. May actually be more fringe than neutral--i.e. the ideological angels that want to put themselves in harms way to serve others for little return, and the other end of the spectrum that may see a license to bully as a favorable offset to the other things.

Respect the job and the men who do it (until one gives reason not to respect him/her). That doesn't mean we as a society give them a "get out of jail free" card when they would otherwise need it.

Defunding the police is bass ackwards. Defund a bit of the welfare state that is enabling a lot of the crime culture the police are fighting, and give that money to fund the police in competitive salaries and the best training money can buy.

Reactions: 24/7vol
Kind of makes you wonder what kind of people generally take the job. May actually be more fringe than neutral--i.e. the ideological angels that want to put themselves in harms way to serve others for little return, and the other end of the spectrum that may see a license to bully as a favorable offset to the other things.

Respect the job and the men who do it (until one gives reason not to respect him/her). That doesn't mean we as a society give them a "get out of jail free" card when they would otherwise need it.

Defunding the police is bass ackwards. Defund a bit of the welfare state that is enabling a lot of the crime culture the police are fighting, and give that money to fund the police in competitive salaries and the best training money can buy.
Police salaries are State's issues. Swidt?

I see y'all went and caused a huge mess.

robert-downey-jr-frustrated.gif

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Police salaries are State's issues. Swidt?
Good point. But I wasn't necessarily speaking from a fed/state budget level as much as a practical and constructive use of tax money in general. But I will say that if the feds want to subsidize state law enforcement, I'd rather see them do so with salaries that draw the best into the field, and training that make them the best, as opposed to tanks and other militarization of our law enforcement.

Good point. But I wasn't necessarily speaking from a fed/state budget level as much as a practical and constructive use of tax money in general. But I will say that if the feds want to subsidize state law enforcement, I'd rather see them do so with salaries that draw the best into the field, and training that make them the best, as opposed to tanks and other militarization of our law enforcement.
it was the lazy susan rep/dem point counterpoint

VN Store

Back