'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

Ehh...I'm still not sold on the assistants. It seems like Spyre won this recruitment as much as any specific assistant. And even if you conceded this victory to them, we still went what, 1 for 12 on our top targets? I'll hold my final judgement for this time, next year, and I'm encouraged about Edwards and Holloway, plus Cadeau and Cyril in 2024.
NIL is gonna have to win just about every recruitment, so that doesn’t really seem like a fair caveat. Phillips specifically mentioned his relationship with Gainey, and Clark is the biggest reason we are front runners for Jefferson. Yes 1/12 but again that was fall, with little time and relationship, spring is looking much better. Not sure you really could ask/expect for a better spring than Key, Phillips, Jefferson, Akawa.

Best case scenario he and JJJ eat up 75% of the 3/4 minutes and Aidoo forces his way into 20 minutes a night. That gives us our most athletic, versatile, dangerous lineups.

How long did you look for my post? You were in before I could even post that I was wrong. Wow, I am glad to know that my post lingered in your mind for nearly 3 weeks (34 pages worth of posts).
😂 I never saw it. It was actually on the first page I saw when I opened his thread. Must’ve been the last time I checked the thread. It’s no big deal man, we all are wrong sometimes and I’m sure you’re happy to be so

Reactions: patrick
Ehh...I'm still not sold on the assistants. It seems like Spyre won this recruitment as much as any specific assistant. And even if you conceded this victory to them, we still went what, 1 for 12 on our top targets? I'll hold my final judgement for this time, next year, and I'm encouraged about Edwards and Holloway, plus Cadeau and Cyril in 2024.
But if he had gone with someone else it would have been Spyre's fault? Or would that have been a clincher on their failure?

I listened to VQ podcast this AM and assumed we were toast with how negative they were and was in my feels feeling like the Barnes elite run was over.

This makes me so happy. Love this basketball program!

Reactions: HeadVol77
That's some high praise. I'd be over-joyed with a Corey Brewer type career from him.
I don’t think he will end up having a similar college career as Brewer. To my eyes, Phillips seems to be more of a polished player specifically regarding shooting the ball. I could be blinded by Brewer’s struggles shooting the three ball in the NBA. I looked at Brewer’s college numbers and noticed he shot the ball decently in college.

I still don't fully understand where Ignite is getting (or, more accurately, why they're spending) this money.

If this were like European football and they were signing some kind of juniors/development contract with an established team to play for their G League feeder until eligible, that would make more sense but be a glaring draft loophole; Ignite, to me, is just paying kids big money to bide their time until drafted without benefiting from the marketing or revenue bumps that a college program gets from fielding a competitive team.

Reactions: Iamtoooldforthis
I still don't fully understand where Ignite is getting (or, more accurately, why they're spending) this money.

If this were like European football and they were signing some kind of juniors/development contract with an established team to play for their G League feeder until eligible, that would make more sense but be a glaring draft loophole; Ignite, to me, is just paying kids big money to bide their time until drafted without benefiting from the marketing or revenue bumps that a college program gets from fielding a competitive team.
G league Ignite is getting their money from the NBA? The NBA is just offering another avenue for the elite HS athletes that don’t want to go to school.

I listened to VQ podcast this AM and assumed we were toast with how negative they were and was in my feels feeling like the Barnes elite run was over.

This makes me so happy. Love this basketball program!

We have a very good roster returning even if we hadn't gotten JP. We were ranked in most too early top 25s, I believe I saw us at 16 in one. So it's not like we were on the brink of disaster.

VN Store

Back