'22 SC SF Julian Phillips (Tennessee commit)

The decision is finally in: Five-star wing Julian Phillips has committed to Tennessee.

Phillips, who was the highest ranked player remaining in the 2022 recruiting class, announced his long-awaited decision Thursday afternoon on CBS Sports HQ, picking the Vols over Auburn, the NBA’s G-League Ignite, Florida State, South Carolina, Southern California and the Overtime Elite league.

The 6-foot-8, 200-pound Phillips is the No. 12 overall prospect in the 2022 class, ranked No. 2 among power forwards and No. 1 overall in Missouri, where he attends Link Academy.

He took his official visit to Tennessee in September, after a visit from Barnes and his staff. Tennessee coaches made another trip to see Phillips this spring after his recruitment reopened.

"I got a good relationship with coach (Rick) Barnes and coach (Justin) Gainey and their staff,” Phillips told 247Sports basketball recruiting insider Travis Branham last week while breaking down each of his finalists. “My visit down there went really well.

“They're a school that has been recruiting me from the first time so I know a lot about them. They're a system I can play in and coach Barnes can help me get to the next level as well.”

Phillips decommitted from LSU on March 18, following the firing of Will Wade. Since getting back on the market, he has visited Auburn, South Carolina and the Overtime Elite league, while also showing interest in the G-League.

He initially picked LSU over Tennessee, Southern Cal and Florida State, committing to the Tigers in October.

"Just a school where I can come in and make a big impact my freshman year,” Phillips told Branham of what he’s looking for in his recruitment, “a school with a system I fit in well, where I have a good relationship with the coaches and a school I can win at that will prepare me for the next level."
-Ramey

VN Store

Back