NCAA trying to come down on NIL and collectives

LOL I'm just going to grab my popcorn, sit back, and watch all this unravel! Give an 18 year old thousands or millions of dollars? What could go wrong??
It's like people all across society have lost the ability to recognize really bad ideas at the outset and now we must try them all first to realize they are stupid.

Reactions: rkvdg
LOL I'm just going to grab my popcorn, sit back, and watch all this unravel! Give an 18 year old thousands or millions of dollars? What could go wrong??

It may well be more important to recruit character with money on the table. Priorities can be sustained by guys with real NIL value too.

Reactions: kcvols1
We all know this is a horrible idea, and bound to cause issue upon issue, but we’re gonna turn a blind eye to it, because it is benefitting us currently.

It may well be more important to recruit character with money on the table. Priorities can be sustained by guys with real NIL value too.
And a strong unit around a kid(18+-) with character to evaluate what is best for the kid other than just but including money. A kid advised to follow the highest bid alone will be a kid who probably ends up unsuccessful in the long run.

We all know this is a horrible idea, and bound to cause issue upon issue, but we’re gonna turn a blind eye to it, because it is benefitting us currently.
I disagree.

This should have been addressed by the NCAA 5 years ago and set in stone so that there would be zero workarounds.

The NCAA lacks LEADERSHIP and FORESIGHT.

If we turn a Blind eye to it we will get eaten up. The best way is to confront and Combat it.

Face it, NIL is not going away and it is here to stay. The NCAA just boarded the Train tooo Late to or stop it, however they maybe able to change some of the direction as to how it will be managed and oversight.

Reactions: kcvols1

It's like people all across society have lost the ability to recognize really bad ideas at the outset and now we must try them all first to realize they are stupid.

Laugh all we want, but the NCAA is looking for someone to be the target of their investigation and retroactive rule application, and right now, it looks like ole Jere Morehead (uga President) and the committee will turn their sights on Tennessee. Shocking, I know, that the President associated with the trash program that is uga would focus on a potential rival, but there ya go. Meanwhile, the under-the-table NIL network commonly called the State of Alabama will continue on, albeit with less 'legitimate' competition.

Amazing how this is all playing out. Almost as if the current powers want to remain the current powers or something. Weird.

I disagree.

This should have been addressed by the NCAA 5 years ago and set in stone so that there would be zero workarounds.

The NCAA lacks LEADERSHIP and FORESIGHT.

If we turn a Blind eye to it we will get eaten up. The best way is to confront and Combat it.

Face it, NIL is not going away and it is here to stay. The NCAA just boarded the Train tooo Late to or stop it, however they maybe able to change some of the direction as to how it will be managed and oversight.

My take is that, first, the NCAA doesn't agree generally with the concept of giving money to student-athletes who are already getting a free college education (plus housing, food, tutoring, counseling)--all worth more than 200,000; and second, it didn't know how to regulate NIL given that any restrictions/constraints it formulated could be challenged in court. College is not the free-market; it's not the business world. It's a separate realm and this idea that you can just mix business and college--mix academics with student-athletes looking for financial deals--without opening a big can of worms is crazy. There are all sorts of complications. And giving cash to student-athletes for going to class--or earning a certain grade-point average? Comical. A joke. More of the dumbing-down of America. What, you can be expected to act like a halfway responsible young adult and go to class on your own initiative?

My take is that, first, the NCAA doesn't agree generally with the concept of giving money to student-athletes who are already getting a free college education (plus housing, food, tutoring, counseling)--all worth more than 200,000; and second, it didn't know how to regulate NIL given that any restrictions/constraints it formulated could be challenged in court. College is not the free-market; it's not the business world. It's a separate realm and this idea that you can just mix business and college--mix academics with student-athletes looking for financial deals--without opening a big can of worms is crazy. There are all sorts of complications. And giving cash to student-athletes for going to class--or earning a certain grade-point average? Comical. A joke. More of the dumbing-down of America. What, you can be expected to act like a halfway responsible young adult and go to class on your own initiative?

College isn't the free market, and neither is 'college athletics'. Never forget that the entire term 'student athlete' was coined in an attempt to avoid workers comp rules from applying to these employees er, ahem, STUDENT ATHLETES.

It is the only market in America where the labor is substantially free, and is the primary good being offered. This has led to obscene amounts of money flowing to coaches, ADs, and the entire college athletics and NCAA infrastructure. If you believe that the schools and NCAA have the 'student athlete' as their primary objective, just remember that the term itself was coined to avoid having to compensate them for injuries.

This is all about money flowing to collectives vice the NCAA and college ADs where they believe it 'belongs', and about keeping the current power schools in those positions. Any sanctimonious statements by Ole Jere Morehead or anyone else is just so much pablum.

The NIL should’ve been done a long time ago, it’s not the idea that’s the issue it’s the fact that it’s completely uncontrolled and unregulated. There are certain measures that can be put in place but the NCAA is so incompetent that they can’t see that.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
College isn't the free market, and neither is 'college athletics'. Never forget that the entire term 'student athlete' was coined in an attempt to avoid workers comp rules from applying to these employees er, ahem, STUDENT ATHLETES.

It is the only market in America where the labor is substantially free, and is the primary good being offered. This has led to obscene amounts of money flowing to coaches, ADs, and the entire college athletics and NCAA infrastructure. If you believe that the schools and NCAA have the 'student athlete' as their primary objective, just remember that the term itself was coined to avoid having to compensate them for injuries.

This is all about money flowing to collectives vice the NCAA and college ADs where they believe it 'belongs', and about keeping the current power schools in those positions. Any sanctimonious statements by Ole Jere Morehead or anyone else is just so much pablum.
Omg for the last time, the labor is not free! It is a transaction in which a kid agrees to play for a school and in turn is awarded a scholarship for a college eductation, plus room and board, plus food, plus tutoring, plus access to first class training facilities, trainers, coaching, and nutritionists for 4+ years. These kids were already being compensated for their talents. But greed has prevailed and now its the wild wild west! Nobody was forcing these kids to agree to participate. Saying its "free" labor is a huge misunderstanding of the amount of investment a university puts into a student athlete! Especially a football player!

I don’t have a problem with kids getting money from appearances and jersey sales, and signing up for commercials, monthly stipends, and whatever else.

I do have a problem with schools basically “buying” players. I know it’s always happened, but never to this extent, and it’s terrible for the game. Transfers being offered $800k and a car to sign with a school, players holding out of practice for better NIL deals, schools enticing players to leave for better NIL deals.

This is absolutely going to destroy college football. Some of our fans are so blinded because it’s working for us right now, but, wait till one of our stars is poached, or another school starts throwing Texas A&M money around, or we start having entitlement issues because of money differences. This is gonna be bad. I promise in 5 years, we’ll all be wishing this never happened

Omg for the last time, the labor is not free! It is a transaction in which a kid agrees to play for a school and in turn is awarded a scholarship for a college eductation, plus room and board, plus food, plus tutoring, plus access to first class training facilities, trainers, coaching, and nutritionists for 4+ years. These kids were already being compensated for their talents. But greed has prevailed and now its the wild wild west! Nobody was forcing these kids to agree to participate. Saying its "free" labor is a huge misunderstanding of the amount of investment a university puts into a student athlete! Especially a football player!

In terms of the revenue generated, and using the actual cost to the university of the fringe benefits provided to players, it is essentially free labor. And kids have NO other options, there are no minor leagues like baseball, there is no G league like basketball. Footballers are forced to go through the NCAA system to make the NFL. So, you have a monopoly for the labor market, and minimal compensation for services.

Once they are free of the NCAA, their compensation explodes. That is not an indication of any type of fair labor market at the college level.

I agree that NIL is explosive and I agree some types of control should be in place. But applying anything retroactively, and trying to get the 'student athlete' back to a non-compensated basis apart from scholarships is absolutely ridiculous and REEKS of desperation.

Last edited:
I don’t have a problem with kids getting money from appearances and jersey sales, and signing up for commercials, monthly stipends, and whatever else.

I do have a problem with schools basically “buying” players. I know it’s always happened, but never to this extent, and it’s terrible for the game. Transfers being offered $800k and a car to sign with a school, players holding out of practice for better NIL deals, schools enticing players to leave for better NIL deals.

This is absolutely going to destroy college football. Some of our fans are so blinded because it’s working for us right now, but, wait till one of our stars is poached, or another school starts throwing Texas A&M money around, or we start having entitlement issues because of money differences. This is gonna be bad. I promise in 5 years, we’ll all be wishing this never happened

Probably. Once the Texas and California schools jump fully on board, and if the Alabubba and uga machines reluctantly shift from the rule-breaking shadows to plain view, I don't believe we Tennessee fans will like the results.

That said, I don't disagree with the fundamental fairness of allowing a 'student athlete' to receive fair compensation for services, and removing the monopoly power of the NCAA has revealed just how high that is absent tight monopolistic controls.

Putting those same young men in war is better? They should handle the hell of war, but God forbid they get a lil pocket change🙄

Just stop. You know damn well we're not just talking about "pocket change" here. Some of these kids coming out of high school and getting six figure salaries or higher, I'm telling you its not a good idea! Many will not have the maturity to handle it and I guarantee you its going to cause locker room issues. College is supposed to train you/prepare you for potential high earnings in the future for AFTER you graduate. Not pay you high earnings while you're there.

Reactions: feathersax
Just stop. You know damn well we're not just talking about "pocket change" here. Some of these kids coming out of high school and getting six figure salaries or higher, I'm telling you its not a good idea! Many will not have the maturity to handle it and I guarantee you its going to cause locker room issues. College is supposed to train you/prepare you for potential high earnings in the future for AFTER you graduate. Not pay you high earnings while you're there.
Doesn't mean anything when the same colleges/NCAA are profiting in the hundreds of millions off the athletes.

Doesn't mean anything when the same colleges/NCAA are profiting in the hundreds of millions off the athletes.

So what? What are the players going to do? Strike? Like someone said before, there isn't an NFL farm system out there these players can go to. They'd only be hurting themselves. College football would survive. I guarantee you for every player that would try to hold out, complaining that the system is not fair, there would be a ton more guys right behind them that would gladly take their spot. You want a free education? You want a chance to be developed and go to the NFL? Well this is the price you pay. In all honesty, none of this would've been necessary if the universities and the NCAA had had the balls to stand their ground and basically tell players "our way or they highway". They should've called their bluff.

I've said this before but I'm actually completely in favor of NIL in the way it was intended. But this is not it. Using it as a means to buy players to come play for your university is not what NIL was supposed to be.

Last edited:
So what? What are the players going to do? Strike? Like someone said before, there isn't an NFL farm system out there these players can go to. They'd only be hurting themselves. College football would survive. I guarantee you for every player that would try to hold out, complaining that the system is not fair, there would be a ton more guys right behind them that would gladly take their spot. You want a free education? You want a chance to be developed and go to the NFL? Well this is the price you pay. In all honesty, none of this would've been necessary if the universities and the NCAA had had the balls to stand their ground and basically tell players "our way or they highway". They should've called their bluff.
The NCAA and universities have had their way for decades, but the NCAA and universities can't overrule Supreme Court decisions and state laws.

The days of college athletes not being able to be paid are over. Now it's just in what form whether it's NIL, as employees, or if startup football leagues like XFL/USFL takeover development. There are far too many future lawsuits and unknowns to be able to say for sure at this point.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

I've said this before but I'm actually completely in favor of NIL in the way it was intended. But this is not it. Using it as a means to buy players to come play for your university is not what NIL was supposed to be.
And people are being short sighted about it because we got Nico. Most will be screaming for regulation the moment it turns against us. I don't think the regulations should be retroactive but the abuse of NIL needs to be cleaned up.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer

VN Store

Back