Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wants a ******* BURGER? When assistant coaches can own franchises! When HC’s pull in 10 mil plus a year and can fare well living on their own NIL deals? None of this money generated towards athletes comes out of the BILLIONS in broadcast rights and merchandise sales! We’re way past “letting” Jeremy Bloom play football whilst receiving (vitally necessary) sponsorship money to pursue an Olympics skiing dream, or even not suspending Steve Alford for participating in a CHARITY calendar! I think it’s telling that all this bunk got “leaked” last night in the middle of the whole cartel soliciting legislative support. Their glass house is cracked AF!
FTR: "sponsorship money" was a huge part of the amateurism debate in the Olympics, if I recall correctly. The question isn't just one of salary.

I wear long sleeves everyday because of my arm sleeve, sucks.

I wish I would have just spent the money on my legs. I appreciate the response!

Low key trying to get the monstars on my leg, starting at the upper thigh going down into Bugs, Lola, daffy, and then michael holding the special juice, finishing up around the calf area.

That'll be a sick piece when done! Find an artist that enjoys cartoons is the only other recommendation. Something like that done by someone who -wants- to do it will be so much higher a quality piece than if the artist is just taking it cause it's a big piece that'll pay well.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
It's been a bidding war...in a system that you can't win against a few select schools. They always win.
The problem is that it hasn't exactly been a bidding war. It's been a "who's willing to cheat, and how bad, in a system of preferential enforcement of the rules".

SCOTUS basically dismantled that, and the previous benefactors haven't realized it's dead yet.

The Pro's do the same basic thing except individual limits are team limits...... A Salary Cap. So the problem is you have to admit they are being paid a SALARY to play. Doesn't sound right when you say it out loud does it.
I don’t think they want to throw THEIR OWN billions into the pool. Collective bargaining and stuff.

Yep.

The ONLY thing I worry about is the NCAA using the Pruitt-era case resolution as a way to backdoor a punishment for our current NIL dealings.

That would be interesting behind the scenes. The Pruitt imbroglio was a means to an end. The NCAA found nothing that wasn't silver plattered to them. They're slow and seriously understaffed. UT is legally buttoned up on NIL. And really, the NCAA has bigger issues.

Well the only way to police it (in anyway that's somewhat effective) is to give the players a choice.

Cause right now the landscape is you have a handful of top tier teams in college. So if you only have them to pick from you're kind of stuck, that's how football works right now. Basketball kids got way more choices with overseas paying well and g-league existing and also only having to be in college one season before they can jump. So they can go anywhere really and stat pad and the NBA will take them even if they didn't play at a blue blood.

But football is the sport stuck a bit, at least in this area. So if these 5 star kids can basically "bet on me" and go straight to the pros and get into a farm system you'll see less of them willing to put up with the egos that the few schools that hold power have. (and pretty much every one of their HC also have massive egos).

The only other way to really police it is to try and force the NFL to diversify their drafting so they aren't taking so many players from the same schools each year. But the NFL owners may be the only people with bigger egos than these elite college programs so trying to tell them what they have to do isn't gonna happen with where they are spending their money.
I don't think you understand what I meant by "police it"

I am saying strictly enforce whatever cap rules they could come up with, and bitch slap any program that tries to cheat and give more....unlike how it has always been where two schools are allowed to cheat while screwing over every other program that tries to even the playing field.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
If that were the case, Bama wouldn't be buying legislators dinner.

Now that NIL can be paid above board, Bama is apparently not rich enough to be dealt in at the table, so they're lobbying for stake limits at the table. UT is rich enough for the new game. Sounds like Bama isn't.
1651849346708.png

Now if you drop a dot for each school and where they are located, it's pretty easy to see who is going to become a "have not" because their state isn't as rich.

Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Louisiana (may luck out though as they don't have any other big in-state schools to compete with)
Alabama
Mississippi

The schools in states that 1. aren't as poor and 2. willing to push sports that will become better because of this
Texas
Florida
Tennessee

What's interesting to me is a few unexpected states that are rich but also have the potential to really create something if they pushed it

Washington
Colorado
Virginia
Illinois

Obviously though some states are outliners...Alaska and Hawaii for example, they are "rich" by this chart, but mostly because of how low the population is and how wealthy you have to be to live there.

NIL was always a hornet's nest, and the NCAA was never going to be able to control it. Issuing weak interim guidelines was futile and shows how powerless the NCAA is as an enforcer. Legal departments have been all over this for more than a year, and some like UT, were agile in planning, executing and adapting, with alumni, donor and state support.

Schools that can capitalize are making it work for them; schools that can't execute are mad and crying foul. Saban can cry all the way to retirement. If he had the foresight, money and backing other schools have, he would be trying to steer Sankey in a different direction. The NCAA does not have the resources to evaluate and sanction-- they never will-- and they don't want the legal backlash that would trigger. Schools like UT, with collectives like Spyre, are working within state law and NCAA guidelines, and have the support of legal teams with documentation of full compliance. Challenge that, or selectively enforce deals, and lawsuits will be swiftly filed. Meanwhile, schools will keep doing what they're doing with state backing.

There's no going back, and some schools will be left behind. Transfer portal and NIL changed college sports forever. It's a different landscape, and a new power structure is in play. Creating and managing the deals is just the tip of the iceberg.
Thank you! This calms my nerves.

The problem is that it hasn't exactly been a bidding war. It's been a "who's willing to cheat, and how bad, in a system of preferential enforcement of the rules".

SCOTUS basically dismantled that, and the previous benefactors haven't realized it's dead yet.
The NCAA bitch slapped USC as bad as anyone in the last 20 years. I don't think it's a matter of preferential treatment. I just think Bama and Georgia cultivated a well oiled machine of underground support that was never going to get caught, and all of that effort is a waste now.

True...I mean to a point. I think all schools have done the "hundred dollar handshake", but only a 4-5 have been allowed to hand out huge six figure money...everybody else that tried gets in trouble...but not Bama, Uga, Clemson and OSU.

College football is a club sport now.

Let the community rather than the school support it. The community purchases licensing and branding from the university. Disban the NCAA and let the college football playoff committee govern and enforce whatever rules are set forth.

***thinking out loud here***

View attachment 453252

Now if you drop a dot for each school and where they are located, it's pretty easy to see who is going to become a "have not" because their state isn't as rich.

Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Louisiana (may luck out though as they don't have any other big in-state schools to compete with)
Alabama
Mississippi

The schools in states that 1. aren't as poor and 2. willing to push sports that will become better because of this
Texas
Florida
Tennessee

What's interesting to me is a few unexpected states that are rich but also have the potential to really create something if they pushed it

Washington
Colorado
Virginia
Illinois

Obviously though some states are outliners...Alaska and Hawaii for example, they are "rich" by this chart, but mostly because of how low the population is and how wealthy you have to be to live there.
I'd add Texas A&M, Baylor, Houston, texas tech, SMU... as potential big players now? There is SO MUCH oil money in Texas, and a lot of school pride in the region.

View attachment 453252

Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi

Texas
Florida
Tennessee

Washington
Colorado
Virginia
Illinois

I would go as far to say median household income in an entire state and the amount of money getting donated to NIL efforts in those states have zero to do with each other. Unless Bill Lee is gonna propose a tax hike where the money goes directly to Spyre, which would be hilarious.

FTR: "sponsorship money" was a huge part of the amateurism debate in the Olympics, if I recall correctly. The question isn't just one of salary.
Never made sense to me that a scholarship athlete like John Elway or Russell Wilson could play minor league baseball and stay eligible in that same system.

I don't think you understand what I meant by "police it"

I am saying stricy enforce whatever cap rules tbey could cone up with, and bitch slap any program that tries to cheat and give more....unlike how it has always been where two schools are allowed to cheat while screwing over every other program that tries to even the playing field.

How though? NCAA hasn't got the manpower or funds to enforce anything really. Just look at the Will Wade situation.

Reactions: LA Vol

This is likely why ADs are freaking out losing their donation money
well_there_it_is_jurassic_park.gif

This is the reason for everything...

I'd add Texas A&M, Baylor, Houston, texas tech, SMU... as potential big players now? There is SO MUCH oil money in Texas, and a lot of school pride in the region.

They would be added though as they are in Texas? I guess I should have said that plainly, but basically any college in those states I mentioned have the potential.

I think in Texas specifically a priority will go to the schools in the money getting conferences, and the SEC is king in that regard. So really Texas schools that are in the SEC (A&M and soon Texas) will be the top of the mountain for that state. But then other teams in the Big 12 will also benefit.

Im not disagreeing with this but the Article specifically states “Booster Backed Collectives” which our Organization Spyre is not. Spyre is it’s own entity and while Boosters can donate to Spyre they are not formed and backed by Boosters.

I agree with the Coaches and the NCAA, Boosters should not be able to form a collective and pay players.

The “booster backed collective” language is what’s giving me solace currently. I think this is more about going after collectives like what Miami has that is essentially only John Ruiz paying the players.

I would go as far to say median household income in an entire state and the amount of money getting donated to NIL efforts in those states have zero to do with each other. Unless Bill Lee is gonna propose a tax hike where the money goes directly to Spyre, which would be hilarious.

It's correlation, but not always direct connection.

If the population has more disposable income and a desire to spend it on sports specifically for their form of entertainment then it matters.

It's why TN has 3 pro teams despite the state being in the lower 50% of population and median income. Because the people that are here will spend on that form of entertainment.

You want a general idea of which states will do best if the NIL is left to work itself out, go look at where the majority of professional sports teams are and notice that Alabama has exactly ZERO. South Carolina (Clemson) also has zero...and those two seem to be at the front of the complaint line for NIL right now.

Money ruins everything...well except for you guys...it bought you a championship.

For a long time, Georgia was labelled an underperformer, purportedly due to poor coaching. Smack in the middle of the most fertile recruiting region of the country, but suffering from the longest championship drought among SEC big 6 teams. Then they get a new coach and finally win one in his 6th season, after coming close in his 2nd season.

I know it's not an idea that will receive support on this board, but I'm skeptical that Kirby Smart in the early years of his first head coaching job became one of the godfathers of college football and suddenly UGA was permitted to cheat with impunity, above and beyond its rivals. I think he's a good program CEO and a good defensive mind, made some good hires, and created a buzz that helped UGA's normally good recruiting get even better. Sort of what Josh Heupel is trying to do right now and its a reasonable path for a program to rise above their recent history to win a championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: screenthis
The “booster backed collective” language is what’s giving me solace currently. I think this is more about going after collectives like what Miami has that is essentially only John Ruiz paying the players.
An early article indicated that the push is to retroactively define "booster" as "any directive/collective".

So, the logic would be: Punish any school whose boosters gave any $$$ to a recruit, and anyone who gave substantial $$$ to athletes is a booster.

It's a subtle end-around of what the SCOTUS allowed under threats of anti-trust repercussions.

Reactions: VFL1993
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back