OWH's Topic That Will Never Die XXIII

Morning!

Got up, worked out, showered, ate breakfast, fixed my lunch, did hair and makeup, and got to work early.

Realized I didn't have my cellphone. Thankfully hubby is bringing it to me. (Several applications I use in my job require ID verification, which is done with my phone.)

Some tidbits from May 4th (Star Wars Day) in History:

1970: On this day in 1970, an anti-Vietnam War demonstration at Kent State University turned deadly when the Ohio National Guard shot four unarmed students and wounded nine others, further turning public opinion against the war.

2000: British politician Ken Livingstone was elected mayor of London, the first time that British voters had directly elected a candidate to an executive office at any level of government.

1959: The first Grammy Awards were presented, and the winners included Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and the Kingston Trio.

1942: During World War II, U.S. air and naval fleets turned back a Japanese invasion force heading for the strategic Port Moresby, New Guinea, in the Battle of the Coral Sea.

1863: The Battle of Chancellorsville in the American Civil War, a bloody assault by the Union army in Virginia that failed to disperse the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, continued.

Reactions: Tin Man
Morning gang....the weekend is almost in sight!

Today In History:

1945: While on a picnic on Gearhart Mountain, Oregon, six people were killed after a Japanese balloon bomb exploded; they were the only deaths by enemy action to occur in the continental United States during World War II.

1961: Alan Shepard, Jr., made a 15-minute suborbital flight in the Freedom 7 spacecraft, becoming the first U.S. astronaut to travel in space.

1973: American racehorse Secretariat (1970–89) won the Kentucky Derby en route to capturing the U.S. Triple Crown, which also includes the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes.

1988: English pop singer and songwriter Adele—whose soulful emotive voice and traditionally crafted songs made her one of the most broadly popular performers of her generation—was born.

1904: American baseball pitcher Cy Young registered the first perfect game (no player reaching first base) of the modern era, for the Boston Americans (later Red Sox) against the Philadelphia (later Oakland) Athletics.

1864: Forces commanded by the generals Ulysses S. Grant of the Union and Robert E. Lee of the Confederacy engaged in the Battle of the Wilderness near Fredericksburg, Virginia, during the American Civil War.

1809: For her technique of weaving straw with silk, Mary Kries became the first woman to receive a U.S. patent; the process was largely used in the creation of hats and other headware.

Today's Birthdays:

Adele
Karl Marx
Tammy Wynette
Vannessa Bryant
Brooke Hogan
Brian Williams
Chris Brown
Andy Murray
John Ryes-Davies

Reactions: feathersax
Damn near the weekend for most of us! Let's enjoy the weather hopefully and kick UK's ass!

Today in History:

1937: The Hindenburg crashes in New Jersey

1856: U.S. Army troops from Fort Tejon and Fort Miller prepare to ride out to protect Keyesville, California, from Yokut Indian attack.

1962: The first nuclear warhead is fired from a Polaris submarine.

1960: President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the Civil Rights Act of 1960.

1954: British runner Roger Bannister breaks the four minute mile.

1877: Chief Crazy Horse surrenders to U.S. troops in Nebraska. Crazy Horse brought General George Custer to his end.

1864: In the second day of the Battle of the Wilderness between Union General Ulysses S. Grant and Confederate General Robert E. Lee, Confederate Gen. James Longstreet is wounded by his own men.

1861: Arkansas becomes the ninth state to secede from the Union.

1527: German troops begin sacking Rome. Libraries are destroyed, the Pope is captured and thousands are killed.

Today's Birthdays:

1740: John Penn, signer of the Declaration of Independence.

1856: Robert Edward Peary, arctic explorer and the first man to reach the North Pole.

1856: Sigmund Freud, Austrian neurologist, founder of psychoanalysis.

1868: Gaston Leroux, French novelist (The Phantom of the Opera).

1888: Russell Stover, candy manufacturer.

1915: Orson Welles, actor, director, and writer (Citizen Kane).

1931: Willie Mays, baseball player.

Reactions: Tin Man
My wife’s job has her up early and working 10 hour days, too often six days a week. She has tomorrow and Sunday off. We danced on the porch to old school R&B during cocktail hour. She’s retired early, tonight. I sang her a lullaby in my wretched excuse for German. I am lucky in love and blessed in my marriage.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back