'21 TN ATH Andre Turrentine (Tennessee signee - Transfer from Ohio St.)

He was third string at OSU, but I guess since they've been stacking elite classes on top of one another, 3rd string at OSU might still be pretty legit.

He was third string at OSU, but I guess since they've been stacking elite classes on top of one another, 3rd string at OSU might still be pretty legit.
OSU fans I talked to are disappointed to see him go. OSU brought in a transfer and is getting a player back from injury. This kept Andre lower on the depth chart.

His scouting outlook compared him to Vonn Bell. I'll take that any day of the week if he lives up to anything close to that.

Last edited:
Good 247 article quoting OSU writer saying it was a really good pick up and they wanted to keep him. Just buried there, but he's a good player, they've just recruited extraordinarily well at his specific position and a veteran got hurt and came back for a 6th year...threw things off for him.

Honestly, I think he has a good chance of finding his way onto the field pretty quickly. I wouldn’t say he’s guaranteed to start, but I believe Tennessee is bringing him in because it thinks he can help right away, assuming he picks up the defense quickly and everything like that.

What I’ve heard so far suggests he’s more likely to get a look at nickel, with Wesley Walker competing at safety. And I think there’s a realistic scenario in which both of those guys earn starting jobs, but it’s going to be up to them to make it happen, obviously.

- Callahan

BOOM!!!!!

dance-moves-dancing.gif

Andre Turrentine didn’t see the field much last year during his first season at Ohio State, and he didn’t appear to be in line for a significant role with the Buckeyes this year. But that doesn’t tell the entire story of what the former four-star prospect from Ensworth School in Nashville, Tenn., could add to Tennessee’s defense.

Turrentine, a redshirt freshman safety at Ohio State, announced Monday morning that he has committed to the home-state Vols after adding his name to the NCAA transfer portal a week ago. Dave Biddle, the editor of 247Sports’ Ohio State site, Bucknuts, said he thinks the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Turrentine is “a really good pickup” for Tennessee and could make an early impact on the Vols’ secondary.

Turrentine appeared in only three games last year in his first season at Ohio State, and he might not have cracked the two-deep at safety for the Buckeyes going into his second season in the program. But even with other talented players on Ohio State’s depth chart at safety, Biddle said, the Buckeyes weren’t looking for him to leave the program.

“I know Ohio State wanted to keep him, obviously, and I think it was just a numbers crunch,” Biddle said of Turrentine. “They’ve recruited pretty well at safety, and they had some guys coming back that maybe weren’t expected to come back — like Josh Proctor certainly is a guy that, going into last year, everybody thought would be his last year, and then he got hurt and now he’s coming back as a fifth-year senior.

“And that’s the position that Andre plays — that strong safety, that boundary — and they have another guy they like there, a kid from California named Kourt Williams.

“He’s good, man. They wanted him to stay, because injuries can happen. Even if there was a chance he would’ve been third-string, he still would’ve been battling for a spot on the two-deep, and Kourt Williams has been hurt a lot.”

Biddle said Turrentine played 106 total snaps during Ohio State’s spring game, and he showed a skill set that should allow him to contribute at Tennessee.

“I mean, he’s physical. He’s fast,” Biddle said of Turrentine, who was ranked the No. 169 overall prospect and No. 9 safety in the 2021 class and the No. 4 player in his class from the state of Tennessee, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “I think he was ranked higher than most fans remember.

“I won’t be surprised if he steps right in and starts. I don’t know the situation there at Tennessee. … It’s kind of, like, a lesser version of what happened with (former Ohio State and Alabama wide receiver) Jameson Williams, where it’s just a good fit. He could go to Tennessee and probably start, and you have him for a while. It’s not going to be, like, a one-and-done.

“I’m not saying he’s as talented as Jameson Williams, but I bet he’ll do well there.”

Turrentine told GoVols247 that he heard from dozens of programs after entering the transfer portal last week. Biddle said it’s easy to understand why Turrentine was an attractive option for the Vols and others.

“With all the kids going in the portal, there’s probably not too many that are just entering their second year, four years of eligibility left, and were a top(-200) player in the nation,” Biddle said.

“And it’s not like anything went south at Ohio State. It’s just, that was one of the weird spots where they’ve actually recruited pretty well.”
-Callahan

VN Store

Back