Next yr starting 5

ML,: maybe Horston at SG, Jackson at SF/Wing and Puckett at PF to go along with Powell at PG and Key at C. I would bet money that ends up being the top 5. Just a hunch. Horston and Jackson could even switch roles tbh (interchangeable) and its the same lineup essentially.
Kellie has the same scenario with Jordan and Rickea that she had when she had Rae and Rennia. Difference is,they are a little bit bigger and both can put it on the floor and get to the rim probably a little quicker than Rae or Rennia. Hopefully both of them work on their long ball shooting this off season and get their percentages up. If so they're going to be extremely dangerous in those spots.

In the last month, the Lady Vols have gone from fan talk of, "I hope they are good enough this season to compete with South Carolina", to talk of a final four and an undefeated season, by some posters...

Also, the talk about how Kellie can't recruit has changed to "Holy Cow, what fantastic transfer recruits!!!"

Coach Kellie has brought in foot speed, and girls that can shoot the long ball...And girls that can rebound too!!!!

A facsimile of typical lady Vol fans when they heard about Jillian Hollingshead joining the team...
amusement-park-roller-coaster.gif

Last edited:
We know who we have our roster is set and it is one of the best rosters Tennessee's had in a while. I think the five belongs almost exclusively to Key and Hollingshead. Key may end of playing a few more minutes, but I expect that the staff will want her to be more aggressive and will also want her in there the last five minutes of close games so this 40 minutes at the five could become quite even in playing time between Tamari and Jillian. I know Jillian is going to play a lot of minutes I can see it averaging 15 to as much as 20 a game. If anyone else plays at the five will probably be Striplin late in games we've won.
The four is a traffic jam we have so many players that can play there and it will create a real battle for playing time. I think the probable starter is Franklin just to good a player not to see at least 20 minutes a game. Then you have Suarez which should be completely healthy and totally at the top of her game. Sarah Puckett should be outstanding as well so there you have three players that can play the four and only forty minutes to go around. Striplin can also play the four as can Jackson and even Horston. Our inside talent went from looking sort of weak to a powerhouse of choices.
I expect Jackson to start at the three don't see how she gets under 25 minutes a game. Tess Darby and Justine Pissott will be vying for some playing time at the three as well. Puckett can also be a factor there. With Justine and Tess being shooters Tess needs to really develop the other parts of her game because Justine already brings them. The three and four positions seems to be where we have the most players vying for playing time next season.
The two should go to Horston by default as I don't see her playing much at point guard with Powell coming in. I think you start Horston at the two and Walker ends up as your backup two or maybe Kaiya Wynn. I was kind of feeling like in some of the games last season they were trying to develop Wynn into a one. We'll see how it goes this season the competition is very high at all of the four, three, and two next season.
The one is Powell's probably about 25 minutes a game. Miles will probably be first off the bench at this position and she just might have some competition for time with Wynn who I was beginning to think the staff wanted to develop into a point guard. Being able to watch these players in practice and competition would be about as much fun as a game. I can see some real battles cause every position is deep and talented.

So here is my final starters and depth chart JMO cause we know anything can happen any player can change their game enormously during the off season.

PF-Franklin, Puckett, Suarez, Striplin
WF-Jackson, Pissott, Darby, Puckett
C-Key, Hollingshead, Striplin
SG-Horston, Walker, Pissott, Wynn, Rennie
PG-Powell, Miles, Horston, Wynn, Walker, E. Darby

Nice line-up. It is inevitable that a couple of talented players may not get the minutes they once expected. We'll see who that might be, but I think that Wynn and Suarez are at risk of not getting many minutes. It is truly a luxury to be thinking a lot about third string, but I would have Striplin over Suarez at power forward. Suarez seems more of a natural for the WF position but man is that ever deep. Same for Wynn at the SG position. I imagine we will use both players, but they may have to wait a year to be fully utilized.

I know that it is hard to not salivate about next year's LV team. What is a reasonable 2022-2023 regular season W-L record, 24-5, 25-4 or 26-3?

Nice line-up. It is inevitable that a couple of talented players may not get the minutes they once expected. We'll see who that might be, but I think that Wynn and Suarez are at risk of not getting many minutes. It is truly a luxury to be thinking a lot about third string, but I would have Striplin over Suarez at power forward. Suarez seems more of a natural for the WF position but man is that ever deep. Same for Wynn at the SG position. I imagine we will use both players, but they may have to wait a year to be fully utilized.

I can see Wynn, Miles, Franklin, Key and Horston in together when we want to lock down on defense. But it is hard to see where Marta will get minutes. She is going to have to be one of those players who is the straw who stirs the drink if she wants to get much playing time. Marta, Horston, Powell, and Pissott all seem to be good passers, but I don't see that lineup being out there together much.

When you want to stretch the other team's defense then you have Pissott, various flavors of Darby's, and Puckett to shoot the three for you. Powell or one of the others needs to step up there and give us another option since Pissott is a freshman and Darby has match-up problems in other areas. This may be an area of weakness for us more than we think since our best shooters may not be on the floor as often as some other players.

Wynn, Jackson and Horston are all hard to stop going to the basket so they are your slashers.

There is a lineup for pretty much anything Kellie wants to do. It is just a matter of finding the right chemistry. And that may be more of a problem than we imagine since basketball is all about chemistry and comes from playing the same combination of players and knowing where you can rely on them to be, what their tendencies are, which types of pass they can receive etc...

But it will pose problems for other teams as well. They may be playing one lineup with an emphasis on one part of the game, and then the next thing they know there is a totally different lineup in there with totally different strengths and weaknesses, playing a totally different type of game.

On paper at least, this should be Kellie's best team.

Are either of them eligible for a redshirt year?

I know that it is hard to not salivate about next year's LV team. What is a reasonable 2022-2023 regular season W-L record, 24-5, 25-4 or 26-3?
You know i was jus thinking about this im goin to say 25-4 even though i want to go 26-3 i say this because a couple of losses early on to get chemistry right but to beat us you are goin to have to bring your A game because even with a C game with the talent and combinations they can go with its goin to be tough to beat us, so many different ways to beat people but when its all said and done DEPTH, DEFENSE AND REBOUNDING will be our calling

I can see Wynn, Miles, Franklin, Key and Horston in together when we want to lock down on defense. But it is hard to see where Marta will get minutes. She is going to have to be one of those players who is the straw who stirs the drink if she wants to get much playing time. Marta, Horston, Powell, and Pissott all seem to be good passers, but I don't see that lineup being out there together much.

When you want to stretch the other team's defense then you have Pissott, various flavors of Darby's, and Puckett to shoot the three for you. Powell or one of the others needs to step up there and give us another option since Pissott is a freshman and Darby has match-up problems in other areas. This may be an area of weakness for us more than we think since our best shooters may not be on the floor as often as some other players.

Wynn, Jackson and Horston are all hard to stop going to the basket so they are your slashers.

There is a lineup for pretty much anything Kellie wants to do. It is just a matter of finding the right chemistry. And that may be more of a problem than we imagine since basketball is all about chemistry and comes from playing the same combination of players and knowing where you can rely on them to be, what their tendencies are, which types of pass they can receive etc...

But it will pose problems for other teams as well. They may be playing one lineup with an emphasis on one part of the game, and then the next thing they know there is a totally different lineup in there with totally different strengths and weaknesses, playing a totally different type of game.

I know Walker does not have sizzling 3 point %, but don't sleep on her to shoot the three well this year when she is unburdened by PG duties. She has a nice stroke and I've seen her hit a lot of threes when she's playing the two.

I know Walker does not have sizzling 3 point %, but don't sleep on her to shoot the three well this year when she is unburdened by PG duties. She has a nice stroke and I've seen her hit a lot of threes when she's playing the two.

For all the potential this team has to be realized. the returning players will all need to strengthen some of their weaknesses. And for our guards, outside shooting is one of the big areas. If the "Jordans" come back with more consistent 3-point shots (along with Puckett), and Key makes another advance in in her post game, then the sky is really the limit,.

Who were the best scorers in the 2021-22 season? If someone scored points, but has a low overall shooting percentage, they missed a lot of shots and need to improve their shooting, or pass to a hotter hand. We had players with a higher shooting percentage, but didn’t have as many points, hopefully for next season they now have the confidence to shoot more. If a player is mainly a 3 point shooter, their overall field goal percentage is less. If a player mainly shoots layups, they may have a higher field goal percentage, and should be able to make free throws. Also, who are our best free throw shooters? Very important.

Here’s our list, in order of best overall field goal percentage listed first. That’s more apple to apple comparison.
Points, Rebounds, Assists, Free Throw %, Overall Field Goal %

Tamari Key 10.5 pts., 8.1 reb, 1.0 assist, 62.6% free throw, 58.4% field goal

Jasmine Franklin 14.9 pts., 12.1 reb, 1.0 assist, 76% free throw, 53.8% field goal

Jillian Hollingshead 5.1 pts., 2.5 reb, 0.4 assists, 69.2% free throw, 48.8% field goal

Karoline Striplin 2.6 pts., 2.1 reb, 0.2 assist, 77.3% free throw, 44.4% field goal

Sara Puckett 6.4 pts., 3.5 reb, 1.1 assist, 69% free throw, 43.3% field goal

Rickea Jackson 20.3 pts., 6.8 reb, 1.1 assist, 73% free throw, 41% field goal

Marta Suarez 4.1 pts., 3.6 reb, 0.8 assist, 75% free throw, 40.7% field goal
(These are her 2020-21 stats.)

Brooklyn Miles 2.5 pts., 2.8 reb, 2.0 assist, 41.7% free throw, 38.8% field goal

Kaiya Wynn 2.4 pts., 2.0 reb, 0.7 assist, 43.2% free throw, 38.5% field goal

Jordan Horston 16.2 pts., 9.4 reb, 4 assist, 67.8% free throw, 37.9% field goal

Tess Darby 5.3 pts., 2.4 reb, 1.1 assist, 100% free throw, 36.9% field goal
(Tess mostly shot 3 pointers at 38.3%).

Jordan Walker 7.6 pts., 4.1 reb, 3.4 assist, 61.9% free throw, 34.1% field goal

Jasmine Powell 12.4 pts., 4.4 reb, 5.7 assist, 77.3% free throw, 32.2% field goal

Jessie Rennie 0.6 pts., 0.4 reb. 0.5 assist, 50% free throw, 19% field goal
(3 point-11.8%)

Justine Pissott and Edie Darby were in high school, and I do not have their stats, but I believe they both shoot well.

Maybe these stats will help everyone with their starting 5. 🙂

Edited to add Jillian Hollingshead stats. This list should now include last season scoring stats for the whole roster, but not including stats for Justine and Edie who were in high school last season.

Last edited:
I do not agree with your first sentence. But I agree with the rest of your comments. My opinion is that Tamari and Jasmine F will compliment each other at the 4 and 5 positions, and both will be dominant. Jasmine F has the added ability to be dominant in both positions. She reminds me of Crystal Langhorne. I believe Jasmine F will be a special player for the LVs this upcoming season. GBO.
Both are teally good and they are perfect complements to each other and will make each other better. It will be hard to defend them if both on floor plus opponents will struggle to score inside on them.. If we stay healthy watch out. CKH can feel free to press. Plenty of depth. Can we stay relatively healthy?

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
For all the potential this team has to be realized. the returning players will all need to strengthen some of their weaknesses. And for our guards, outside shooting is one of the big areas. If the "Jordans" come back with more consistent 3-point shots (along with Puckett), and Key makes another advance in in her post game, then the sky is really the limit,.

Yes, that's a lot of ifs, but that wish list is just what the doctor is prescribing: Key taking the next step and perimeter players developing that 3 point shot. Other than that, we are looking like a FF contender.

Edited to add Jillian Hollingshead stats. This list should now include last season scoring stats for the whole roster, but not including stats for Justine and Edie who were in high school last season.

Horston and Marta scores more than that. Marta was averaging 10 point a game and Horston averaged 20 point

Agree but all this talk about a National championship is just talk at this point .....I need to see how this team performs on the court under the lights against the South Carolinas,Stanfords and Uconn's,etc, of the world before pronouncing that they will be Final 4 and National Championship contenders......to see how this team develops that "chemistry" so vital to success against the top teams in the country

I think Hollingshead should start at the 4. Athletic enough to do that and can also post up and can give LV's some much needed scoring in the paint. Let Key do what she does best, blocking shots and rebounds. IMO it would be a good combination.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I think Hollingshead should start at the 4. Athletic enough to do that and can also post up and can give LV's some much needed scoring in the paint. Let Key do what she does best, blocking shots and rebounds. IMO it would be a good combination.

Key must learn how to stay out of foul trouble..

Agree but all this talk about a National championship is just talk at this point .....I need to see how this team performs on the court under the lights against the South Carolinas,Stanfords and Uconn's,etc, of the world before pronouncing that they will be Final 4 and National Championship contenders......to see how this team develops that "chemistry" so vital to success against the top teams in the country

Yeah, well, this is a fan board. Getting excited about their team and how much better it is than every body else's is just kinda what fans do.

If you prefer a cautious, conservative, pessimistic approach to discussing sports, I suggest instead of coming here, you sit yourself in front of a mirror and then the two of you can get this program all figured out.

Practices will be so competitive with the depth of this team which always makes you better and the best rise to the top. It will also answer questions about those recovering from injuries were they stand. If healthy I see the lineup as Powell Horston Jackson Franklin Key. Hollingshead definitely will get plenty of minutes off the bench as will Miles as backup point. The battle in practice will be for the other 3 spots. Walker Darby Puckett Pissott Marta Wynn Striplin . Work hard this off-season if you want one of these spots. In CHRIST Alone

Yeah, well, this is a fan board. Getting excited about their team and how much better it is than every body else's is just kinda what fans do.

If you prefer a cautious, conservative, pessimistic approach to discussing sports, I suggest instead of coming here, you sit yourself in front of a mirror and then the two of you can get this program all figured out.

Well, you know, naysayers are gonna say "nay". It is just in their nature.....

It is a fan board, where posters are still allowed opinions, right? Without being told to go play with themselves?

I agree that the automatic natty talk is a little crazed at this point, but of course understandable amidst the excitement of a jaw dropping recruiting season for this staff. I'm putting the brakes on a bit in my personal assessment bc so very much is unproven. What I see happening is over excited fans with expectations that will lead to calls of underachievement if the F4/Natty doesn't happen. And that won't necessarily be the case, and not fair to KJH.

Also, we may be having the usual tendency to overhype every recruit/transfer who signs the papers. Some won't be the perfect fit or perfect piece we were dreaming of. I don't think its nay-saying, pessimism or any of that. Just our honest way of looking at things. That ok?

It is a fan board, where posters are still allowed opinions, right? Without being told to go play with themselves?

They are bullies. And when you call them on it they act all innocent and aggrieved.

Don't let them make you feel unwelcome. They don't control anything, which is good since they can't even control their own behavior.

I agree that the automatic natty talk is a little crazed at this point, but of course understandable amidst the excitement of a jaw dropping recruiting season for this staff. I'm putting the brakes on a bit in my personal assessment bc so very much is unproven. What I see happening is over excited fans with expectations that will lead to calls of underachievement if the F4/Natty doesn't happen. And that won't necessarily be the case, and not fair to KJH.

Also, we may be having the usual tendency to overhype every recruit/transfer who signs the papers. Some won't be the perfect fit or perfect piece we were dreaming of. I don't think its nay-saying, pessimism or any of that. Just our honest way of looking at things. That ok?

No.

Now what? 😂

Here's the thing about alexvol. Over many, many years, his posts have been 99.9% negative -- the type of droning negativity that, given the volume and consistency, comes across more like a person who is not one bit interested in seeing the program succeed or even for its followers to feel any joy for following it.

There are only fewer than one handful of people like that on here, but it really does get old when, even in happy times of great succeses, people like that come across like moles from other fanships who hope their negativity will bring the program down somehow.

I got sick of it there and commented with MY opinion.

Is that okay with YOU?

VN Store

Back