NCAA Transformation Commitee

As I’ve said a million times, it’s time all athletes on campus be treated the same. The money is there. These changes were gonna come, it’s just a matter of time, like NIL and Emmert leaving.

1651090064936.gif
Bye ACC, PAC-12 and a bunch of others…

Hello 10 new womens sports, chess, checkers, etc….to comply with equal spending

Instead of ESPN+ how about SEC NETWORK owned by SEC?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
View attachment 450895
Bye ACC, PAC-12 and a bunch of others…

Hello 10 new womens sports, chess, checkers, etc….to comply with equal spending

Instead of ESPN+ how about SEC NETWORK owned by SEC?

This is a very outdated argument. If you think Clemson, UVA, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan and the Fighting Paterno’s and ND are just gonna roll over and play dead, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Hell... UT hasn't won anything of significance in 15 years!! Our program is just as irrelevant as any in the US at the present.

This is a very outdated argument. If you think Clemson, UVA, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan and the Fighting Paterno’s and ND are just gonna roll over and play dead, I don’t know what to tell ya.
I said P2 (SEC & Big10) that really leaves ND and a couple of other schools(no one from ACC who is big from football standpoint(Clemson heading south) who will then chose a conference or they will be part of one of the M5(mediocre) conferences.

I said P2 (SEC & Big10) that really leaves ND and a couple of other schools(no one from ACC who is big from football standpoint(Clemson heading south) who will then chose a conference or they will be part of one of the M5(mediocre) conferences.

UCLA, USC, I mean c’mon Oregon? It’s ludicrous. Despite Covid, college athletics is more popular and lucrative than ever. That’s not changing anytime soon. Will the landscape change, should it…yeah. I would hope anyone here would want the baseball players to have a similar experience to the football players. It’s not that complicated.

UCLA, USC, I mean c’mon Oregon? It’s ludicrous. Despite Covid, college athletics is more popular and lucrative than ever. That’s not changing anytime soon. Will the landscape change, should it…yeah. I would hope anyone here would want the baseball players to have a similar experience to the football players. It’s not that complicated.
They’ll be on an island. A lot of the others schools in those conferences don’t have the balance sheets to come close to competing. Especially when universities start revenue share with players

They’ll be on an island. A lot of the others schools in those conferences don’t have the balance sheets to come close to competing. Especially when universities start revenue share with players
Agree.

i personally believe we are headed to dissolving NCAA and having a College premier Division which is made up of 32/48/64 teams and it will be financial based. If the transformation committee is taking shackles off few schools can compete. I believe you will have something like SEC-16/24/32 and Big-16/24/32. Remember the SEC Started this when it went to 16 so take a certain additional number that make sense and the rest of colleges get left in the Gold Division.

Agree.

i personally believe we are headed to dissolving NCAA and having a College premier Division which is made up of 32/48/64 teams and it will be financial based. If the transformation committee is taking shackles off few schools can compete. I believe you will have something like SEC-16/24/32 and Big-16/24/32. Remember the SEC Started this when it went to 16 so take a certain additional number that make sense and the rest of colleges get left in the Gold Division.
I literally have the same outlook.

Hell... UT hasn't won anything of significance in 15 years!! Our program is just as irrelevant as any in the US at the present.
faca54d58e1721683a22581614ca1ddd74b24d53.gif

If some number of schools, way under 50 are actually making money, where does all this additional money come from? Booster or bitcoin investments?

Do Colleges Make Money From Athletics? | BestColleges
And those 20 schools, with a few more sprinkled in, will pave the way for the power mega conference.
And the rest will be left scrambling.
It’s a kill or be killed world and only the strong will survive this next transition.
GBO!!

For the most part, some good ideas. One of my concerns has always been Emmert's "one size fits all" approach to all 1,260 universities, conferences and agencies.

Does everyone remember, when Dave Hart was AD and the power 5 AD's went through a drill to determine "the full cost of education."
Hart came up with all 400 plus of Tennessee's student athletes would receive a direct payment from the university of $500 plus a month. That included 2 trips home for each athlete per semester. Of course there was a lot of consternation and
accusations of padding the assessments for recruiting purposes. The reports were filed with the NCAA HQs and never saw the light of day. That is about the time we saw the power five conferences ( approximately 64 teams) threating to leave the NCAA. The power 5 conferences were given more autominity but still Emmert tried to make Tennessee play by the same rules as Longwood.

With SCOTUS' ruling in favor of universities paying the full cost of college for the Student Athlete's education...the power 5 AD's were validated and Emmert's business model was in trouble.

When California's Governor Newsom went around the NCAA and Emmert's stonewalling of NIL, and all states followed the NCAA's long standing policy/definition of what amateurism was/is was destroyed/imploded. In the vacuum that has been created, Tennesse'Governor Lee signed an executive order last week allowing coaches to meet with the NIL deal makers. Not sure what folks like Jay Billus and his Ilk thought NIL would look like but...this isn't it.

Although, Emmert's lucrative contract was good until 2025, he realized his tenure was over and now has tendered his resignation. However, to think college athletics can move forward without leadership is naive. For every Coach Rick Barnes there are Two Coach Will Wade's. College sports will suffer untill we get competent leaders and administrators in indianapolis. But the NCAA committees' leadership is made up of all 1260 University AD's, Coaches and Commissioners. Part of the reason we could not resolve the "full cost of education" was some of the 1260 universities could not afford the costs. Of course, Under Emmert, this violated his "one size fits all" model and that's why it went away until SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA. For those who think this is a good thing... be careful. We could see as many as 100's of universities drop all sports.

In my opinion:

Title IX needs to be reviewed. I don"t want my daughter to get short changed but goodness, Tn has 20 plus young women on rowing teams to meet the intent of the law. I'm not sure that is a wise use of scholarships money as fans struggle to participate but it's the law.

Baseball, softball should have full scholarships. Both should have another coach on the field.

The portal is a good idea gone haywire. Transfer rules need to be reviewed and tightened up. For example, Tennessee's Soccer Coach just left for Flordia State. There is no way any Tennesse player should be allowed to follow him without sitting out a year. If they want to transfer somewhere else with out penalty...fine. But Tennessee Soccer should not be destroyed because Penksy had a mid-life crisis. Just my opinion. Love to hear other opinions.

I think that’s fair. Are we talking revenue sharing or redistribution? Just a question.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
For the most part, some good ideas. One of my concerns has always been Emmert's "one size fits all" approach to all 1,260 universities, conferences and agencies.

Does everyone remember, when Dave Hart was AD and the power 5 AD's went through a drill to determine "the full cost of education."
Hart came up with all 400 plus of Tennessee's student athletes would receive a direct payment from the university of $500 plus a month. That included 2 trips home for each athlete per semester. Of course there was a lot of consternation and
accusations of padding the assessments for recruiting purposes. The reports were filed with the NCAA HQs and never saw the light of day. That is about the time we saw the power five conferences ( approximately 64 teams) threating to leave the NCAA. The power 5 conferences were given more autominity but still Emmert tried to make Tennessee play by the same rules as Longwood.

With SCOTUS' ruling in favor of universities paying the full cost of college for the Student Athlete's education...the power 5 AD's were validated and Emmert's business model was in trouble.

When California's Governor Newsom went around the NCAA and Emmert's stonewalling of NIL, and all states followed the NCAA's long standing policy/definition of what amateurism was/is was destroyed/imploded. In the vacuum that has been created, Tennesse'Governor Lee signed an executive order last week allowing coaches to meet with the NIL deal makers. Not sure what folks like Jay Billus and his Ilk thought NIL would look like but...this isn't it.

Although, Emmert's lucrative contract was good until 2025, he realized his tenure was over and now has tendered his resignation. However, to think college athletics can move forward without leadership is naive. For every Coach Rick Barnes there are Two Coach Will Wade's. College sports will suffer untill we get competent leaders and administrators in indianapolis. But the NCAA committees' leadership is made up of all 1260 University AD's, Coaches and Commissioners. Part of the reason we could not resolve the "full cost of education" was some of the 1260 universities could not afford the costs. Of course, Under Emmert, this violated his "one size fits all" model and that's why it went away until SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA. For those who think this is a good thing... be careful. We could see as many as 100's of universities drop all sports.

In my opinion:

Title IX needs to be reviewed. I don"t want my daughter to get short changed but goodness, Tn has 20 plus young women on rowing teams to meet the intent of the law. I'm not sure that is a wise use of scholarships money as fans struggle to participate but it's the law.

Baseball, softball should have full scholarships. Both should have another coach on the field.

The portal is a good idea gone haywire. Transfer rules need to be reviewed and tightened up. For example, Tennessee's Soccer Coach just left for Flordia State. There is no way any Tennesse player should be allowed to follow him without sitting out a year. If they want to transfer somewhere else with out penalty...fine. But Tennessee Soccer should not be destroyed because Penksy had a mid-life crisis. Just my opinion. Love to hear other opinions.

Why do you let the coach off the hook, but not the players? Just a question.

Reactions: txbo

In my opinion:

Nice read……….I agree with the Title IX, I have 2 girls and want them to have every opportunity available to play (or played) in college however matching scholarship to scholarship with the men is not the “fairest” way to do it, I wish I had an answer too.

Nice read……….I agree with the Title IX, I have 2 girls and want them to have every opportunity available to play (or played) in college however matching scholarship to scholarship with the men is not the “fairest” way to do it, I wish I had an answer too.
I always thought one way would be to either exclude the scholarships if the sport in question turns a profit, or only include 25%. For example, the 85 scholarships for a profit producing football program, would allot 21.25 scholarships towards Title 9 (if using 25% as an example).

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
I always thought one way would be to either exclude the scholarships if the sport in question turns a profit, or only include 25%. For example, the 85 scholarships for a profit producing football program, would allot 21.25 scholarships towards Title 9 (if using 25% as an example).
So maybe the sports that make money aren’t included in the calculation for equality since technically the university is not investing in those sports they would be considered self funding?

Reactions: taylorvol

VN Store

Back