2023 Roster Turnover

Willy14

After next season we will have a huge roster turnover with the number of seniors we will have next year (unless one or some use their COVID year but I doubt it). If we land Collins and Key then we would lose our entire starting lineup and a bench player to graduation.
Projected Starters:
Collins (senior)
Santi (senior)
JJJ (senior)
ON (senior)
Uros (senior)

Bench:
Key (senior)
Zeigler (soph)
Powell (soph)
Mashack (soph)
Aidoo (soph)
BJ (fresh)
???
???

Obviously, I trust Barnes to recruit and field a competitive team for 2023 but I didn't realize how many roster spots we would have to fill that would be guys playing big minutes. Plus we would still have the young guys of Zeigler, Mashack, Powell, and Aidoo going into their 3rd years with BJ going into his second. Just thought it was interesting we will have to be replacing our entire projected starting lineup.

This is definitely interesting. The good thing is that with the transfer portal, it will not be difficult to re-stock with veterans - not Barnes' veterans, but veterans nonetheless.

Reactions: njvols and Willy14
This is definitely interesting. The good thing is that with the transfer portal, it will not be difficult to re-stock with veterans - not Barnes' veterans, but veterans nonetheless.
Yeah I think with the return of the young core on the bench along with some freshman and transfer veterans we could still have a very good team in 2023. Just a lot of unknowns at this point which is to be expected with this being so far out.

I think at least 1, and maybe 2 guys would take extra COVID year, also will change a lot depending on who the 2 ??? End up being.

Reactions: Willy14
After next season we will have a huge roster turnover with the number of seniors we will have next year (unless one or some use their COVID year but I doubt it). If we land Collins and Key then we would lose our entire starting lineup and a bench player to graduation.
Projected Starters:
Collins (senior)
Santi (senior)
JJJ (senior)
ON (senior)
Uros (senior)

Bench:
Key (senior)
Zeigler (soph)
Powell (soph)
Mashack (soph)
Aidoo (soph)
BJ (fresh)
???
???

Obviously, I trust Barnes to recruit and field a competitive team for 2023 but I didn't realize how many roster spots we would have to fill that would be guys playing big minutes. Plus we would still have the young guys of Zeigler, Mashack, Powell, and Aidoo going into their 3rd years with BJ going into his second. Just thought it was interesting we will have to be replacing our entire projected starting lineup.
Technically every senior except Key would still have another year of eligibility due to the Covid year. Though I’m not sure about Uros’ clock.

Even if all of them were to leave I think we’d still have a decent foundation of returning guys
ZZ/BJE
Powell/BJE
Mashack
?
Aidoo

Would really be nice if Powell can step up this year and look to be a guy we can rely on in his Jr year. Obviously would love Phillips but even if he does come there might still be a hole in the 4 if he’s 1 and done. Not sure someone like Cade Phillips or Jarred Hall could come in and be expected to start there. That’s why I think we should push for Lindsay in this class.

It would be great to add about 3 really good 4-year, 4 stars EVERY year, but realistically that is more likely to occur every other year. Spacing them out so there’s more playing time as each group is added. But N-I-L opportunities might now be the primary incentive and the freedom of movement disrupts everything.

I won’t surprise me if ORN and/or Pink Daddy opt for the Super Senior COVID year. Vescovi and JJJ not very likely.

The portal can either handicap programs or create advantages. Let’s hope that Barnes and staff are the beneficiaries. Also I hope that they continue to add those international players. What’s the count? France (2), Uruguay (1), Finland (1), Serbia (1), the DROC (1) ?

Technically every senior except Key would still have another year of eligibility due to the Covid year. Though I’m not sure about Uros’ clock.

Even if all of them were to leave I think we’d still have a decent foundation of returning guys
ZZ/BJE
Powell/BJE
Mashack
?
Aidoo

Obviously would love Phillips but even if he does come there might still be a hole in the 4. Not sure someone like Cade Phillips or Jarred Hall could come in and be expected to start there. That’s why I think we should push for Lindsay in this class.
Justin Edwards would slide right in there nicely :)

Agree...I'd also expect a top 5 type class, but doesn't mean it won't be tough sledding.

Reactions: i2amavol
I think at least 1, and maybe 2 guys would take extra COVID year, also will change a lot depending on who the 2 ??? End up being.
Assuming you are probably thinking ON and Uros? I'm assuming Collins would be gone since he was testing out the draft process a little bit this year.

I always have liked looking at future rosters with guys returning/potential recruits. Looking out multiple years. Now there’s way too much movement to even look beyond the upcoming season. You could theoretically see all the seniors leave, any one of ZZ/Powell/Mashack be unhappy about playing time any move on.

I always have liked looking at future rosters with guys returning/potential recruits. Looking out multiple years. Now there’s way too much movement to even look beyond the upcoming season. You could theoretically see all the seniors leave, any one of ZZ/Powell/Mashack be unhappy about playing time any move on.

I doubt ZZ goes anywhere. Isn't his family moving here?

After what ZZ went through and how the school supported he and his family, I think that guy is VFL

Zeigler
Edwards
Powell (or Mashack)
JJJ
Aidoo

That’s a very solid lineup for two seasons from now.

I think there is almost no chance JJJ and Vescovi are back after next season. I just can’t seem them using a COVID year.
Vescovi is gone, but I’m not sure on JJJ. Realistically I’d say it’s legitimately 50/50. Really depends on this season IMO.

Vescovi is gone, but I’m not sure on JJJ. Realistically I’d say it’s legitimately 50/50. Really depends on this season IMO.
I think he will have a good enough season to go pro IMO. He’s just a versatile player, and if he can show the scoring to go with the versatility this year it’ll be huge for him. I’d say JJJ averages at least 15 and 5 this next season

Yeah I have always loved doing it in the past, but your right, it’s so hard to predict now with the transfer rule. We could have an entire new team two years from now with not a single player that we will have this year left

Yep. No use speculating. Don’t even bother looking at the roster until practice starts for the fall. It’s a strange new world in college sports and not necessarily for the better.

Knoxnews dot com

UT needs post players, but Barnes said he’s flexible in the pieces he adds. He wants talent, but team chemistry is also important. But in an era where rosters change dramatically each year, winning now takes precedent over building for the future.

“We can go a number of different ways with our roster,” Barnes said. “We’ve got the foundation of our team back. We will fill in around it, but how that goes I honestly can’t tell you.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back