Spring Practice #13

Not a huge fan of Chavis, but he never put a defense on the field as bas as last years was.
The defense wasn't bad last year. It was above average nationally in most important categories.

3rd down killed it though and wasted a lot of solid work on 1st and 2nd down, TFLs, etc which led to a mediocre overall defense. It wasn't bad though.

2007 defense was pretty bad. Gave up 45 points to Cal, 59 to Florida, and 41 to Bama. Two of those teams ended up 6-6.
2007 gave up 5.4 YPP

2021 gave up 5.4 YPP

The difference is in 2007 that was only 65th best (out of 119...below average). In 2021 it was 44th best (out of 130). Basically top third in the country.

We are always so thin during Spring Practices.

I bet Fant is getting in some FB reps in case we need another big mobile blocker to plow the fields with.

I wonder if Milton has really legit improved a lot or not. I have the feeling that he is a practice star like JG was but under the lights he just can't get it into gear for some reason.
Bro..that's harsh.

I don't think it's harsh. That's exactly how Milton played when he started for us last year. You can tell he has all the physical tools in the world but he never put it together during a game. The guys that cover the team say he still throws the prettiest ball in practice but we all know that Hooker is our starting QB for a reason. Milton isn't a gamer and Hooker is.

I wonder if Milton has really legit improved a lot or not. I have the feeling that he is a practice star like JG was but under the lights he just can't get it into gear for some reason.

I'm hoping Heupel doesn't let his ego get the best of him regarding Milton. The young man was his pick, he recruited him to The Hill. I tend to agree he must be a practice warrior. I'd hate to see Milton be the cause of younger players with lots of time to improve hit the portal for a one and done Milton.

I'm hoping Heupel doesn't let his ego get the best of him regarding Milton. The young man was his pick, he recruited him to The Hill. I tend to agree he must be a practice warrior. I'd hate to see Milton be the cause of younger players with lots of time to improve hit the portal for a one and done Milton.

No way in heck Milton gets the start barring injury to Hooker. Hooker is already on a few preseason Heisman watch lists.

The defense wasn't bad last year. It was above average nationally in most important categories.

3rd down killed it though and wasted a lot of solid work on 1st and 2nd down, TFLs, etc which led to a mediocre overall defense. It wasn't bad though.

Our D started out in the top third nationally, believe it or not, in points allowed, though of course that was padded by the OOC foes. Went very downhill at the end of the season. Ended up 90th of 130. That is definitely bad, and it means we had a really bad last few games to skew it down that much.

Not our worst D of all time, but probably in the bottom 10-15 out of the 95 seasons since Neyland arrived on the hill.

I don't think it's harsh. That's exactly how Milton played when he started for us last year. You can tell he has all the physical tools in the world but he never put it together during a game. The guys that cover the team say he still throws the prettiest ball in practice but we all know that Hooker is our starting QB for a reason. Milton isn't a gamer and Hooker is.

How about letting last season, be last season, then wait and hope this season's version of Milton is a better one? If you had a boss (or spouse) who utterly refused to ignore your efforts to be better. Who just as stubbornly refused to let go of the fact you made a mistake, or even did something stupid a year ago, and badmouthed you at every opportunity, how'd that work for you? If either the version of you or Milton repeated the same or worse mistakes of the past, it indicates a refusal or inability to learn. In which case, saying "get out of here and don't come back" would be warranted. Until then, try sitting the glass of expired 8yrs ago Clamato-Brussel sprouts juice cocktail down, and drink a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice instead.

Not to be personal, it's just as a fan, I don't do or tolerate Vol-hate very well. I don't even dislike JG, who was stuck with a coach who couldn't coach, got the heil knocked out of him over and over. Yet dragged his butt off the ground to get up and try again. He kept trying even after his own teammates walked off the field, leaving his aching body on the ground at game end, and was helped up by an opposing player who simply felt sorry for him. He was a terrible QB, but kept trying (JP should have stopped trotting him out there) when he had every reason not give a darn anymore. So, I say, "He was a Vol, I will not hate on him. I even have a measure of respect for him."

Last edited:
I'm as negavol as they come and I wouldn't stoop to the level of comparing anyone to JG.

Reactions: Frozevol
I am Worried about the secondary myself. Especially at cornerback. Spring ball is important for that group IMO and with hear just walk on filling those roles worry’s me. If we don’t have at least a decent secondary group this year then it is going to be a Long , long year.
Especially when you witnessed Purdue wearing our secondary out in bowl game last year. I don't have much faith in our db coach either. He never helped burrell with any adjustments in that game - not a fan of martinez.

VN Store

Back