Transfer Portal 21-22

Shortlist of potential post backups from the portal? Sorry y'all I have a hard time following the threads sometimes
Hard to say who we are going after, but I think the main name is Esmery Martinez who is a versatile post only 6'2" but she is exceptional inside both offensively and defensively. I really would love to have Jordan Jenkins of USC who is transferring after a freshman season which seen her average 16 points and 7 rebounds. I think she may be going to Colorado or Washington which is her home state. River Baldwin is 6'5" not really made for the speed game, but she was fairly effective as a player for Florida State. Ladazhia Williams 6'4" post out of Missouri very good player and this would be her second transfer, but only her first under the new rule. Nashaya Kyle 6'6" out of Purdue put up some really nice numbers had an injury which would need to be explored don't know how she has recovered or doing since that happened. Last thing we need is an injured player. Then there is Piath Gabriel 6'5" from UConn didn't get to play much, but was actually effective when she did. 57 percent from the field but only 40 shots total all the time she played there.

Hard to say who we are going after, but I think the main name is Esmery Martinez who is a versatile post only 6'2" but she is exceptional inside both offensively and defensively. I really would love to have Jordan Jenkins of USC who is transferring after a freshman season which seen her average 16 points and 7 rebounds. I think she may be going to Colorado or Washington which is her home state. River Baldwin is 6'5" not really made for the speed game, but she was fairly effective as a player for Florida State. Ladazhia Williams 6'4" post out of Missouri very good player and this would be her second transfer, but only her first under the new rule. Nashaya Kyle 6'6" out of Purdue put up some really nice numbers had an injury which would need to be explored don't know how she has recovered or doing since that happened. Last thing we need is an injured player. Then there is Piath Gabriel 6'5" from UConn didn't get to play much, but was actually effective when she did. 57 percent from the field but only 40 shots total all the time she played there.

I may have missed it in your post, but Hollingshead (6'5") out of Georgia is in the portal as well. Has 3 years of eligibility and has SEC experience.

Awesome info, thank you!!

Yes she would be a strong backup for Key and three years to play.

Our coaches did visit her basketball game when she was in high school ! And of course they have seen her play at Georgia. I noticed her ranking at #37 out of high school (HG), has her listed as a FORWARD ! Everyone is thinking because of her height (6’4”), she is a post player? I like the idea of her having three years of eligibility! But is her game the type of player Kellie is after ? I guess we will see if Jillian or Kellie have a mutual interest?
P. S. I believe we did offer her when she was in high school?

I guess is hard 4 Geno to develop unranked players
Every team needs an end of the bench player, and that's what she was. No different than Saunders or Jessie not becoming reliable contributors at Tennessee. It's not a knock on the coaches, but players like Piath or Jessie are what they are: practice partner, possibly depth to be used in case of emergency.

I am, however, surprised that Saunders never got up to speed. She was a Gatorade POY for WV and a top 100 recruit. Guessing that the level of competition for the award was not very high, and I can't imagine her being more than depth if she finds her way to another P5.

Reactions: Rooster1 and sisaq
Our coaches did visit her basketball game when she was in high school ! And of course they have seen her play at Georgia. I noticed her ranking at #37 out of high school (HG), has her listed as a FORWARD ! Everyone is thinking because of her height (6’4”), she is a post player? I like the idea of her having three years of eligibility! But is her game the type of player Kellie is after ? I guess we will see if Jillian or Kellie have a mutual interest?

She's 6'5

I thought we were in her top five. Everyone thought we had a good shot at her then she went to Georgia. She is the type inside player you like a lot of length players with length are always always great defenders.

post 4087 since feb 2021 in the life of this thread the LVs acquired three via this route and two of them were players with little or no Board awareness until they signed.

I can only wonder what player good enough to become a LV after leaving another university would sign knowing next year, at least, will have minimum playing time.
My perception may be incorrect as South Carolina has had such signings in the last two years.

Yes, were I Coaching the LVs I would review the portal carefully but each conversation would be open with "don't expect a great deal of playing time in 2022-3.

Reactions: volnationnj
The coaches have posts they are looking at in the portal, and it’s a very small list. They aren’t going to mess with team chemistry just to bring someone in. It has to be the right fit. They are looking though.

Guess that means they aren’t looking at Reese it’s just a talent like that you can’t ignore if the player was interested.

post 4087 since feb 2021 in the life of this thread the LVs acquired three via this route and two of them were players with little or no Board awareness until they signed.

I can only wonder what player good enough to become a LV after leaving another university would sign knowing next year, at least, will have minimum playing time.
My perception may be incorrect as South Carolina has had such signings in the last two years.

Yes, were I Coaching the LVs I would review the portal carefully but each conversation would be open with "don't expect a great deal of playing time in 2022-3.

Totally respect your opinion. I would just add that because Key has been unable to stay out of foul trouble, I respectfully disagree on playing time. To me the issue is and should be stated..."You may not start; however, based on Key's previous foul issues you will probaly play 15-20 minutes a game. Of course this is if the prospective recruit is being recruited as a rim protector for the post.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Guess that means they aren’t looking at Reese it’s just a talent like that you can’t ignore if the player was interested.

Not looking at Reese.

I will say that most people who enter the portal know where they are going or have their schools already narrowed down to a few before making it official.

Also, Tennessee is a much wanted destination currently. Players talk, and our team chemistry and culture is not common out there. Kellie knows what she is doing.

Not looking at Reese.

I will say that most people who enter the portal know where they are going or have their schools already narrowed down to a few before making it official.

Also, Tennessee is a much wanted destination currently. Players talk, and our team chemistry and culture is not common out there. Kellie knows what she is doing.

So if Reese wanted to come here that won’t let her?

Not looking at Reese.

This so heartwarming and wonderful to hear...CKH has really made to LVs relevant again...GO LVFL 🧡🏀🧡

And what about the two bigs out of Oregon State--6'6" Kennedy Brown and 6'5" Taylor Jones?

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back