Danny White aka Magic Man

therealitytheory

Heupel has resuscitated the FB program. He didn't hire Vitello, but he beat back the poachers. Tennis won the SEC and has been ranked #1. Track finished #3 at the NCAAs and the women were top 15. Softball has a tiny number in front of it. WCBB made the S16 after a long dryspell. Basketball SEC tourney champs. Rugby national champs (does he get credit for that one - I have no idea).

Do they have national awards for ADs? Danny White would surely lap the field.

Heupel has resuscitated the FB program. He didn't hire Vitello, but he beat back the poachers. Tennis won the SEC and has been ranked #1. Track finished #3 at the NCAAs and the women were top 15. Softball has a tiny number in front of it. WCBB made the S16 after a long dryspell. Basketball SEC tourney champs. Rugby national champs (does he get credit for that one - I have no idea).

Rugby guys operate on a whole different level. They’re like Special Ops guys that have a whole different set of rules. Basically those dudes are crazy.

To your point Danny White is doing a great job.

He gets credit for creating a healthy environment for sports to thrive. This wasn’t the case prior to his arrival.

He gets credit for creating a healthy environment for sports to thrive. This wasn’t the case prior to his arrival.

As happy as I am to have him here, I think some are under valuing the efforts of the folks that are and have been overseeing these programs within the department. How many of the key sports OUTSIDE OF FOOTBALL, were trending down upon his arrival? How many coaches has he had to replace? We need to be appreciative of those that oversee the daily activities and report their findings upstream. He seems to recognize that himself since he has basically prioritized resigning rather than replacing coaches since he arrived. NOW, sustaining and improving our fortunes is important and I feel confident that his pedigree and his reputation give us a shot to do that.

What’s a big deal is not only having great coaches but keeping them here in Knoxville.
Danny White seems to be making that a priority.
It’s not just keeping them, he’s giving them the resources to be successful and getting out of their way. I think White is going to be a real good one at AD but the last several set the bar pretty low to be honest.

Rugby is a club sport so not under the athletic department or Danny White.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
As happy as I am to have him here, I think some are under valuing the efforts of the folks that are and have been overseeing these programs within the department. How many of the key sports OUTSIDE OF FOOTBALL, were trending down upon his arrival? How many coaches has he had to replace? We need to be appreciative of those that oversee the daily activities and report their findings upstream. He seems to recognize that himself since he has basically prioritized resigning rather than replacing coaches since he arrived. NOW, sustaining and improving our fortunes is important and I feel confident that his pedigree and his reputation give us a shot to do that.

All parts of the team are important to success.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Renovations, Renovations, Renovations!!!!
Keeping the Masses Happy
Upward trajectory in all programs.
I guess he also gets credit for cutting a NIL deal with SPRY (I am not sure any of the Previous ADs could cut this Agreement.)

Last edited:
I said it last year when the AD and Football HC slots were open at the same time - the AD hire is / was of magnitudes greater importance than the HC hire.
I stand by that today. We could have hired Saban himself, but if we would have gotten another Mike Hamilton in AD it would not have mattered.

Last thing too - in the "revenue sports", we could end 2022 like this:
Men's Basketball - SECT Champs, Top 5 end of season ranking
Ladies' Basketball - Sweet 16 NCAAT, Top 10 end of season ranking
Baseball - CWS run (TBD ending), Top 5 end of season ranking
Softball - WCWS run (TBD), Top 10 end of season ranking
Football - 9-10 win season, Major bowl win, Top 10 end of season ranking

When's the last time UT had a year like that ???

I doubt we see a "White Way" in Knoxville anytime soon....

Can we at least say he is the first "White" male AD to make this kind of progress ? We seem to highlight things like this every day for other things ??

How Dan White is doing it:

(1) Setting baseline conditions of (a) integrity and (b) focus on the well-being of our athletes. Throughout the program, all sports.
(2) Meeting with and listening to the players. Getting huge buy-in from them in return. Coaches are generally following this model as well; Dan White is having a positive influence on their leadership styles. Trickle-down goodness.
(3) Setting a high bar for success. Being very clear what success looks like: championships, across all sports.
(4) Hiring and retaining the best possible head coaches, and giving them the funding and tools to hire the best possible assistants and support staff.
(5) Asking the coaches what they need to succeed. Then getting it for them.
(6) Clearing the path ahead of each coaching staff of unnecessary obstacles. That includes Dan himself and the AD staff getting out of their way, too.

None of this is magic. None of it is rocket science. But it does take a strong and charismatic leader, a bright and insightful thinker, a tireless and determined manager. And that whole package, that combination of talents, is rare.

We got one of them now. Let's keep him for a lifetime.

As for the Director's Cup, I'm thinking we might just crack the Top 10 this year. And go from 9th in the SEC to perhaps 1st or 2nd. We'll see.

Last edited:
Rugby guys operate on a whole different level. They’re like Special Ops guys that have a whole different set of rules. Basically those dudes are crazy.

To your point Danny White is doing a great job.
Shouldn't we have a forum for them, especially now that they are champs?

VN Store

Back