Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

The most troubling thing to Negavols is the numbers called the RANKINGS and the WINS and the WINS IN the NCAA TOURNAMENT are steadily getting better since Kellie took over.
NC State said the same thing when she was let go. That's troubling seeing where they are now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth_Vol
You don't see the Lady Vols losing to a 14-loss, 8th place B1G team that was an 11 seed.
Saw them lose to awful Alabama and Auburn teams. Alabama several times in the last few years.
if it makes you feel good to bash the mens basketball program , go for it. They did underperform in ncaa Tourn.

NC State said the same thing when she was let go. That's troubling seeing where they are now.

Some genius once tried to tell me NC State wasn't a great job. Clearly he was wrong, just needed the right coach.

The fact that Kellie failed miserably is indeed troubling...

Some genius once tried to tell me NC State wasn't a great job. Clearly he was wrong, just needed the right coach.

with the history to East TN , I wonder if Wes was even in serious consideration or he turned it down knowing he had a good thing.

Mainly for you. Most here are focused on how she is doing with the LVs. This year was indeed a step forward. Now if the team plateaus at this level, yeah, that would be a problem but if the upward trajectory continues (and signs are it will), then all will be fine.

Take away the best player from any of these final four teams and they would not look so dynamic either....Coach Kellie did all she could do with this beat up roster....

Uconn without Paige would be a far different team...
Louisville without the little blond guard, far different team...
Stanford without Jones would be a far different team...
South Carolina without Boston far different team...

Horston was greatly missed...

Take away the best player from any of these final four teams and they would not look so dynamic either....Coach Kellie did all she could do with this beat up roster....

Paige didn’t play against us.

UConn beat the stuffing out of us without either Bueckers or Ducharme.

She was let go there 9 years ago. Since then she has been nothing but successful at Missouri State and Tennessee. How much time has to pass for a coach not to be marked down in your eyes because a previous job didn't work out? 10 years? 15? 20?

Just because it didn't work out at NC State for her doesn't at all mean it won't work out for her at Tennessee. As long as Kellie is making progress to getting us back into the elites of the sport, what happened at NC State, or where they are now, is irrelevant.

Why the persistent need to use over the top rhetoric? If Kellie failed at NC State, it could also be that NC State failed her. You haven't a clue as to what transpired there. And she finished with a winning record and one trip to the NCAA's, so that is hardly failed "MISERABLY." Again, why the over the top rhetoric when it comes to Kellie?

And her experience at NCS is anything but troubling as long as she is progressing nicely here. Which she is. It has beed NINE YEARS since she coached there. Give it up.

Which indicates, since there was no automatic year change in the portal, that Harper did a good job of recruiting the players he inherited, doesn't it?
based off ESPN rankings it sounds like he maximized less talented classes

2010 class not in the Top 30
2011 #28
2012 not in the Top 30

And the final numbers are in:

Field Goal Percentage: .415 THIRD WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Free Throw Percentage: .643 SECOND WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Three Point Percentage: .297 FOURTH WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Points Per Game: 70.1 FIFTH WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Congrats to Kellie on not finishing with the worst offense in program history, just easily one of the top five...

The thread was created Dec 19 and we improved in all 4 categories over the course of the season. Are they good numbers? No. But it shows the team’s ability to improve and that’s a primary focus for me as a fan. I knew we were offensively challenged but the ladies got better and that’s something to be proud of.

Adequate talent got her fired and him to the dance in year one.

And thenWes took NCST to the NIT in the next two years. You are basing your contrarian argument on a very selective reading of Wes's record. I am not sure if Kellie had lost in the first round of her first trip to the NCAA with the LVs, you would have called that a "strong" start either.

Why the persistent need to use over the top rhetoric? If Kellie failed at NC State, it could also be that NC State failed her. You haven't a clue as to what transpired there. And she finished with a winning record and one trip to the NCAA's, so that is hardly failed "MISERABLY." Again, why the over the top rhetoric when it comes to Kellie?

And her experience at NCS is anything but troubling as long as she is progressing nicely here. Which she is. It has beed NINE YEARS since she coached there. Give it up.

Bill Belichick was 36-44 in his fist head coaching job with the Cleveland Browns. That proves that if you fail at one job you will never succeed in another [checks notes]. Oh, never mind...

Bill Belichick was 36-44 in his fist head coaching job with the Cleveland Browns. That proves that if you fail at one job you will never succeed in another [checks notes]. Oh, never mind...
Except Bill had equity of 2 SB rings as a DC for the Giants.

And thenWes took NCST to the NIT in the next two years. You are basing your contrarian argument on a very selective reading of Wes's record. I am not sure if Kellie had lost in the first round of her first trip to the NCAA with the LVs, you would have called that a "strong" start either.
Sure, took at team of 17 wins to to 25 wins in year one and two NITs. I'm basing it on he took her talent and won, same talent that got her fired. Who had the better day one roster, Wes when he took over over the roster Holly left?

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Sure, took at team of 17 wins to to 25 wins in year one and two NITs. I'm basing it on he took her talent and won, same talent that got her fired. Who had the better day one roster, Wes when he took over over the roster Holly left?

Not exactly clear, Westbrook and Collins transferred out and Meme Jackson had graduated. Here is the summary story on Kellie's first season:

Tennessee posted a 21-10 overall record and 10-6 SEC mark to tie for third in the conference during the first season of the Kellie Harper era. With only one senior starter (Lou Brown) and two freshmen and a sophomore in the starting five, UT carded its highest league finish since 2014-15.
{In contrast, Wes had a team of seniors and juniors, with 3 freshman]

Here is the full line-up:

Firefox_Screenshot_2022-03-29T20-16-09.289Z.png

Zaay Green would soon be lost to an ACL once the season started. Jordan was a freshman and much less polished than her ranking indicated. Rae was coming off a very spotty freshman season and had not been a high ranked recruit. So, KK and Davis were the main anchors. I would say that Kellie got the most of out of this team. Jazz had seen limited playing time as freshman and was very much a work in progress.

Not exactly clear, Westbrook and Collins transferred out and Meme Jackson had graduated. Here is the summary story on Kellie's first season:

{In contrast, Wes had a team of seniors and juniors, with 3 freshman]

Here is the full line-up:

View attachment 443459

Zaay Green would soon be lost to an ACL once the season started. Jordan was a freshman and much less polished than her ranking indicated. Rae was coming off a very spotty freshman season and had not been a high ranked recruit. So, KK and Davis were the main anchors. I would say that Kellie got the most of out of this team. Jazz had seen limited playing time as freshman and was very much a work in progress.

So based off rankings, Holly left a better roster that was my question.

VN Store

Back