Spring Practice #2

Fingers

VIDEOS

CLIPS

NOTES

It looked like safeties Jaylen McCollough and Trevon Flowers were taking some reps at the STAR position while Tommarrion McDonald worked more at safety today after previously repping corner on Tuesday.

The centers worked off to the side on the sled. Of note, freshman Addison Nichols was in that group, along with Cooper Mays and Parker Ball.

The rotation in the early going has been Small, Wright, Williams-Thomas and then Whitehead. It’s early, but that is the expected pecking order to begin with.

And finally for the receivers, they’re still trying to figure things out. Tillman and Keyton continued to be the first ones up on the outside with Hyatt in the slot. Jimmy Calloway continued to get some slot work on Thursday, as did Walker Merrill and Squirrel White.

Jimmy Holiday repped on the outside along with freshmen Cam Miller & Chas Nimrod. Redshirt-freshman tight end Julian Nixon continues to look more comfortable at tight end. He’s always looked fluid running routes (former WR) but his form is getting better in blocking drills.
e.cain

The order at one outside receiver spot went Cedric Tillman, walk-on Jack Jancek, freshman Chas Nimrod and freshman Cameron Miller. At the other outside spot it went Ramel Keyton, Jimmy Holiday and Walker Merrill. In the slot the order was Jalin Hyatt, Jimmy Calloway and Marquarius White.

The accuracy from the quarterbacks outside of Hooker and Milton left a lot to be desired and there were some drops from Tillman, Holiday, White (on a throw behind him) and redshirt freshman tight end Julian Nixon. Tight end Princeton Fant made an impressive one-handed pluck and Nimrod made a good snag on a throw behind him from Jackson.

Energetic new wide receivers coach Kelsey Pope really liked how Merrill ran a post-comeback route and let him know about it, and he also gave Holiday some props after a good route.

uring some coverage work in the secondary, Martinez worked one half of the field with Doneiko Slaughter at cornerback, Trevon Flowers at the Star spot and Cheyenne Labruzza at safety. Martinez had the other half of the field with Christian Charles at cornerback, Tamarion McDonald at the Star spot and Jaylen McCollough at safety. Tennessee is shorthanded in the secondary but working through it.

On the offensive line, some half-line work saw Jeremiah Crawford at left tackle alongside left guard Jerome Carvin and center Cooper Mays with the first group. The second group went RJ Perry at tackle, Ollie Lane at guard and Parker Ball at center, and the third group went Gerald Mincey at tackle, James Robinson at guard and freshman Addison Nichols at center. Getting right tackle reps in individual work were Darnell Wright, Dayne Davis, William Parker and freshman Brian Grant with Javontez Spraggins, Jackson Lampley and Kingston Harris with the right guards.

After we didn't see him at Tuesday's practice, defensive lineman Bryson Eason was present and going through drills on Thursday morning, but we didn't see freshman wide receiver Kaleb Webb out there during the open part of practice.
p.brown

Last edited:
uring some coverage work in the secondary, Martinez worked one half of the field with Doneiko Slaughter at cornerback, Trevon Flowers at the Star spot and Cheyenne Labruzza at safety. Martinez had the other half of the field with Christian Charles at cornerback, Tamarion McDonald at the Star spot and Jaylen McCollough at safety. Tennessee is shorthanded in the secondary but working through it.

How old is Labruzza at this point? 28? I'm pretty sure he was recruited under Butch Jones.

Last edited:
Anyone seen or heard about Elijah Simmons? Did he start the spring healthy and at a good weight. I am really hoping for good things from him this year.
Tim Banks said he’s cut some weight and is moving better. Coach said he was working on a six pack lol. I think he’s down ten pounds from last years roster.

He looked better with his touch in the little bit he got at the end but yeah I'd have to see him in in a real game.
Honestly I hope he is better now. I'd like all our QB's to be able to step in and the offense not miss a beat
He rightfully gets heat for running out of bounds in the Ole miss game. But there was a play just before that where he nearly threaded a needle into a crazy tight window that only a handful of qbs can do.

Talent is there. Just needs to be able to give easy catches to open receivers and not let his adrenaline be directly connected to his arm movement.

He rightfully gets heat for running out of bounds in the Ole miss game. But there was a play just before that where he nearly threaded a needle into a crazy tight window that only a handful of qbs can do.

Talent is there. Just needs to be able to give easy catches to open receivers and not let his adrenaline be directly connected to his arm movement.
Agreed...He brain farted...bet he won't make that mistake again stepping out of bounds...
Yup that play before would've been ball game if caught.
His passes like I said did look better at the end but I'd like to see him in a game vs practice.
If he's figured it out then our QB bench should be pretty dang good

That 3rd down pass was absolutely perfect and was a crazy difficult throw. The only reason it wasn’t completed is Tillman didn’t have the legs to jump high enough and it wasn’t very high that he had to jump. If that’s a first quarter throw then I bet that would’ve been a TD.

VN Store

Back