NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

The good thing about this game is no one expects us to beat Louisville, in fact many expect us is to get beat like we stole something. We simply have nothing to lose. I hope this reality will help our ladies dig down deep inside to play their best game of the season, if not the best game of their lives. I pray that they pay little attention to the naysayers who doubt their ability and desire to win. I believe this team will be fully ready to fight and hold their own. I believe that our ladies have this. I am so proud of our freshmen who refuse to play like freshmen. These young ladies got plenty of game. Go Lady Vol, we are behind you 100%.

I was thinking about how we should be the team with way less pressure on us than usual. I think there is incredible pressure on the LV players due to the history of greatness, the expectations, and at times not having the talent or experience to meet the expectations. We have accomplished what we needed to this year given the 4 major injuries, but Louisville now will be the one expected to win and eventually get to the Final 4. Lets play loose yet focused, together with one purpose, and leave it all on the court. Go Lady Vols.

Why can't we just enjoy the win and compliment the players instead of worrying about Kim Mulkey, UConn , bad refs in their game, wanting to slap their players etc? So immature!
Enjoy the win to be sure. Not look forward to the next challenge? GTFO!

Imho, you seem a little self righteous.

I was thinking about how we should be the team with way less pressure on us than usual. I think there is incredible pressure on the LV players due to the history of greatness, the expectations, and at times not having the talent or experience to meet the expectations. We have accomplished what we needed to this year given the 4 major injuries, but Louisville now will be the one expected to win and eventually get to the Final 4. Lets play loose yet focused, together with one purpose, and leave it all on the court. Go Lady Vols.
To be honest, we have surpassed expectations considering the injuries. Most teams would have thrown in the towel but our ladies refuse to do so. And the freshmen class has come a long way. Certainly a lot further than I thought they would. I just hope they do not put themselves under too much pressure to win and just try to play a complete came. In this game we are without a doubt David taking on Goliath.

This should be a good game. If we play our best, we win going away. If we play our worse; we lose in a spectacular fashion. If we play tough but poorly; we win in gritty fashion. Don’t give up, one play at a time. Allow Snoop space to show out. REBOUND THE DANG BALL. Honor each possession.

A lot of miss layups all night as well as most of the season.

My biggest pet peeve!
Layups are practiced in lines that are not game speed and that is why they miss them so frequently.

Doing a layup in a layup line compared to;; in a game, full speed, defended closely

I explain it in this way to my players...

Next time you are in a car, look out the side window (stare straight ahead)
don't move your eyes left or right...
going slow you're not too worried about what you can't see yet
at 20 its a picture
at 50 its a movie
at 100 its a blur
You often have to hit 100 in your layups,,better practice them that way

I loved how we shot the gap against Belmont. Ball security, good defense and rebounds beats Louisville. We can play with anyone in the country. I really hope the lady vols play with a lot of confidence and fight against Louisville. Remember we were projected to be a number 1 seed early on in the season. We have what it takes to get this W! Team Ball! Let’s go!!

Three point shooting will decide the Louisville game. They shoot the three very well. If they get 8 to 10 while we get three they win handily. I don't know what our game plan will be, but we better be a lot better defensively stopping their perimeter game than we've been in the last few games. Getting outscored from the three point line has been the reason for most of our losses and were not out rebounding teams like we were before Green and Horston got hurt. 43 to 40 over Belmont is not what you wanted to see on the boards.

Three point shooting will decide the Louisville game. They shoot the three very well. If they get 8 to 10 while we get three they win handily. I don't know what our game plan will be, but we better be a lot better defensively stopping their perimeter game than we've been in the last few games. Getting outscored from the three point line has been the reason for most of our losses and were not out rebounding teams like we were before Green and Horston got hurt. 43 to 40 over Belmont is not what you wanted to see on the boards.
Traditionally we’ve gotten beat by teams whose guards get in the lane. Louisville isn’t a great 3 point shooting team. I think making them shoot the 3 is what helps us. If they get to the basket by driving into the lane that’s where we get in trouble. Believe it or not I think our zone will get them. We have a a lot of length on the perimeter. Hope Darby, Puckett and Rae can shoot lights out from 3 and that Jojo and miles can drive to the basket or make plays in the lane. That’s how we beat them.

Traditionally we’ve gotten beat by teams whose guards get in the lane. Louisville isn’t a great 3 point shooting team. I think making them shoot the 3 is what helps us. If they get to the basket by driving into the lane that’s where we get in trouble. Believe it or not I think our zone will get them. We have a a lot of length on the perimeter. Hope Darby, Puckett and Rae can shoot lights out from 3 and that Jojo and miles can drive to the basket or make plays in the lane. That’s how we beat them.
They shoot 37 percent as a team compared to our 30 percent. 37 percent as a team is outstanding.

Louisville can be challenged by a good defense. I'd be happy if we played to our stat line...
View attachment 441782

It's the way we've played all year.
If we hold them to 28 percent from the three we have a chance. If we out rebound them by 13 will be really happy. We haven't been averaging 48 since Horston's injury and Louisville averages 39. Getting ours up and theirs down is certainly what we hope to do. They shoot free throws a lot better than 67 percent so keep them off the line.

Louisville has knocked the Lady Vols out of the NCAA tournament twice in the last decade (2013 in the Elite 8 with the Schimmel sisters, 2017 in the second round with Asia Durr and Mariya Moore). We owe them one!
They are really talented much more than we are with our injuries will take a huge effort to beat them.

Going through this thread and seeing comments about Harper being out coached and not calling time outs. ( used one during that messy 3rd qtr run). I have been looking for the comment that mentions that Belmont used a timeout approximately 20 seconds after having a media timeout and did not have one to advance the ball after Keys free throw at the end of game. Did I miss it?

They are really talented much more than we are with our injuries will take a huge effort to beat them.
My hope is that Rae Burrell gets hot like she did in regular season game against Kentucky ,Key stays out of foul trouble and has 5+ blocks and 15 points,Dye has 20 points and 12 rebounds, and Horston plays and scores 10points and has 10 rebounds .....we win going away.....ha !

My hope is that Rae Burrell gets hot like she did in regular season game against Kentucky ,Key stays out of foul trouble and has 5+ blocks and 15 points,Dye has 20 points and 12 rebounds, and Horston plays and scores 10points and has 10 rebounds .....we win going away.....ha !

If we don't get very good games out of Key. Burrell, and Dye we will lose.

This should be a good game. If we play our best, we win going away. If we play our worse; we lose in a spectacular fashion. If we play tough but poorly; we win in gritty fashion. Don’t give up, one play at a time. Allow Snoop space to show out. REBOUND THE DANG BALL. Honor each possession.
Again, a lot of folks can speak more intelligently than I on this -
I thought some of our rebounding difference was related to the shooting of threes which created those long caroms. Our players were crashing the boards and the ball was flying back over their heads. I remember one offensive series by Belmont where they got three or four long rebounds and just kept throwing up the threes.

VN Store

Back