It’s the same question as in football.

EconVol92

Do you want a coach that averages 10 wins a year, or do you want one national championship every 30 years or so, but some bad seasons in between?

Barnes reminds me of Bobby Cox in a way. Great regular season, but can’t adjust in the post season.

None of this is meant as an insult or complaint, just an observation.

Reactions: brockytop
Do you want a coach that averages 10 wins a year, or do you want one national championship every 30 years or so, but some bad seasons in between?

Barnes reminds me of Bobby Cox in a way. Great regular season, but can’t adjust in the post season.

That’s just not true at all. Going to extremes to try to make a point.

I guess if these are the only two choices I’d take the championship every 30 years or so.

I mean 10 games per year in basketball is usually pretty bad. I certainly don’t want that.

I was implying the basketball equivalent to a 10 win football season and not just 10 basketball victories.

Bobby Cox won the NL 5 times and the World Series once. Every year of the 90s the Braves were in at least the NLCS except for the strike shortened 94 season. May want to choose a different comparison because it’s a lot harder to win in a sport like baseball. You can’t just “out athlete” the opponent like you can sometimes in basketball or football.

If you're good enough to win a basketball title you're generally a great coach year in and year out. Kevin Ollie is about the only 1 off I can think of who won a basketball title and then had no other real success and his was due to NCAA issues.

So it's exceptionally unlikely we'd face a situation where a coach won a title here but didn't have sustained success.

I agree it takes luck to win a tournament. But I saw a stat in an article that said a Rick Barnes team has only beat a higher seed in a NCAA tournament once. I don’t think anyone is that unlucky.

What is his % against lower seeded teams?

I agree it takes luck to win a tournament. But I saw a stat in an article that said a Rick Barnes team has only beat a higher seed in a NCAA tournament once. I don’t think anyone is that unlucky.
While that stat is relevant you have to balance it against his average seeding..

If you're a 2 or 3 seed, that reduces the pool of higher seeded teams you may beat but greatly increases the number of lower seeds who may beat you.

I'd be interested to see the same stat for Calipari, Pearl and others

SCAR has a final 4 appearance with Frank Martin who was just canned.

Is their recent basketball history preferable to Tennessee's?

SCAR has a final 4 appearance with Frank Martin who was just canned.

Is their recent basketball history preferable to Tennessee's?

Or Georgia. A Final Four in the first of their 12 NCAATs and nothing other than a single Sweet 16 since. Georgia is gonna Georgia.

I doubt my preferences are representative of the average Tennessee basketball fan (I'm certain I'm less knowledgeable than the average fan), but I enjoy the regular season immensely (especially the SEC slate and the big out-of-conference games). I enjoy the relaxing diversion from the doldrums of winter that the two weekly regular season games provide. I'd much rather enjoy consistently good regular seasons, even if they're followed by early exits from the NCAA tournament (a tournament that, unlike the NBA, MLB, and NHL playoffs, really can't consistently determine the better team). I certainly wouldn't trade either of this year's wins over Kentucky for a win over Michigan last night, "tournament sport" or not.

Didn’t see percentage. It said 9/10 last times his teams lost to lower seeds to end tournament. And he’s been 26 times and only beat a higher seed once. That is almost unbelievable.

I thought Elite 8 was definite with final four a 50-50 chance. I believed in this team and the camaraderie, and thought the Vols could overcome droughts and scoring runs that occurred all year. This team needs an inside game (physical big man who is 6’10 or taller) and a slasher who can dribble penetrate to the hoop without getting shot blocked. Im watching Duke’s guards and big man take over the last four min if the game and it pains me as I thought this was our year and I despise Duke. 😝

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I thought Elite 8 was definite with final four a 50-50 chance. I believed in this team and the camaraderie, and thought the Vols could overcome droughts and scoring runs that occurred all year. This team needs an inside game (physical big man who is 6’10 or taller) and a slasher who can dribble penetrate to the hoop without getting shot blocked. Im watching Duke’s guards and big man take over the last four min if the game and it pains me as I thought this was our year and I despise Duke. 😝
I agree about Duke, he has been so good so long there. I also thought we would get the sweet 16 almost for sure. I am also a Cleveland fan so I never think anything is totally a sure thing. A big man that hits 5 foot shots would be a difference maker.

Never understood this. Done a ton of analysis into the regular season / postseason relationship and it’s just a myth. The numbers don’t support it at all. Good coaches are good coaches. Barnes didn’t go from a great coach to a bad one between winning the SECT and losing in the R32.

March Madness is a crazy game. Sometimes the ball bounces a bit worse than in the regular season, and if it does once, so long.

VN Store

Back