‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

It's completely possible that the article was phrased that way to alleviate the perception that he was induced to sign at UT, especially considering the earlier context of the blurb that makes that blatant.

i.e. "You just signed your LOI rights to us. Here's #350k to get you started. The contract merely says that you must play NCAA football and we can't tell you where to sign. (But you signed a LOI contract with a regional sponsor collective, and those regional sponsorship caveats will have you so tied to Knoxville that it won't make sense you to try to play elsewhere.) In any event, again... Here's your first $350. We own your contract now."

And to the public: "We didn't induce him to sign with UT. There's a certain level of trust that he won't sign elsewhere."

But again... There is NOTHING in that that says, "We gave him 350k earnest money with no strings attached or any contract where we own his rights."
The thing about LEGAL LANGUAGE is it has to be legal to enforce. Try to collect on the preface of “what we really meant” and that $350k is chicken feed on the cost that will be incurred. Shell games need to stay on the street where they belong.

Bc he won’t get paid if he can’t meet the requirements which will be local to the Knoxville area.
Judges aren't that dumb, if it's not allowed to tie performance to attending a particular school like that, then backdooring it isn't going to make it legal.

Judges aren't that dumb, if it's not allowed to tie performance to attending a particular school like that, then backdooring it isn't going to make it legal.
They will allow it….. both parties agree to the deal…. Spyre does marketing in this area….. a judge doesn’t rule on ncaa rules anyways.

We are assuming terms, but there is also an implied obligation of good faith and fair dealing in contracts. You can't say "this isn't tied to a school" and then in the setting of obligations make it impossible for the contract to be fulfilled practically at any other school. Courts see right through that kind of BS.
I'd say that courts also recognize when someone willingly signs with a regional sponsorship.

"I'll sign away all of my sponsorship rights to you."

"We're a regional sponsorship agency and pretty much all of our clients and engagements are in Knoxville."

"OK."

I'd say that courts also recognize when someone willingly signs with a regional sponsorship.

"I'll sign away all of my sponsorship rights to you."

"We're a regional sponsorship agency and pretty much all of our clients and engagements are in Knoxville."

"OK."
The college rule is an NCAA rule not a legal rule anyways.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
The thing about LEGAL LANGUAGE is it has to be legal to enforce. Try to collect on the preface of “what we really meant” and that $350k is chicken feed on the cost that will be incurred. Shell games need to stay on the street where they belong.
I'm talking about the language in the article. Not one syllable of it says that 350k was given to the 5 star player as earnest money with no contractual obligation. That seems to be all internet forum assumption.

I'm talking about the language in the article. Not one syllable of it says that 350k was given to the 5 star player as earnest money with no contractual obligation. That seems to be all internet forum assumption.
Here’s the only quote from the article about the $350K

On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”

They will allow it….. both parties agree to the deal…. Spyre does marketing in this area….. a judge doesn’t rule on ncaa rules anyways.
This attorney said in Mandel article basically that he ain't playing that game, and wouldn't let his clients sign stuff like that, and whichever athlete Mandel wrote this article about, was one of said attorney's clients. I think we're getting Nico, he's gonna want the whole 8 mil, that's why he's going to want to come but I think some of you guys watch too much TV imagining that you can get away with some of the stuff you are suggesting.

Folks in here are posting as though NIL is not capable of inducing athletes toward signing at particular colleges. It's gone from "destroying college football" and "UT has no chance" and "ATM bought their class", apparently to "there's no way it'll be used gtoet athletes to sign with particular schools".

Apparently, it'll just be booster co-ops throwing money at athletes so they can then take it anywhere they want to go.

Here’s the only quote from the article about the $350K

On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”
It talks as though a NIL contract has already been signed, yet people are discussing this assuming that it's 350k earnest money that he can take without signing.

I don't get the assumption.

It's completely possible that the article was phrased that way to alleviate the perception that he was induced to sign at UT, especially considering the earlier context of the blurb that makes that blatant.

i.e. "You just signed your LOI rights to us. Here's #350k to get you started. The contract merely says that you must play NCAA football and we can't tell you where to sign. (But you signed a LOI contract with a regional sponsor collective, and those regional sponsorship caveats will have you so tied to Knoxville that it won't make sense you to try to play elsewhere.) In any event, again... Here's your first $350. We own your contract now."

And to the public: "We didn't induce him to sign with UT. There's a certain level of trust that he won't sign elsewhere."

But again... There is NOTHING in that that says, "We gave him 350k earnest money with no strings attached or any contract where we own his rights."
LOI <> NIL

It talks as though a NIL contract has already been signed, yet people are discussing this assuming that it's 350k earnest money that he can take without signing.

I don't get the assumption.
The assumption is he wouldn't earn the other $8mm if he went elsewhere.

It's an option contract.

And 350k is pennies to what we're dealing with. But few rational folks would take 350k and give up $8mm...

This attorney said in Mandel article basically that he ain't playing that game, and wouldn't let his clients sign stuff like that, and whichever athlete Mandel wrote this article about, was one of said attorney's clients. I think we're getting Nico, he's gonna want the whole 8 mil, that's why he's going to want to come but I think some of you guys watch too much TV imagining that you can get away with some of the stuff you are suggesting.

I'm confused. You're arguing that they can't tie the deal to UT, but you think he'll come to UT because the 8 mil deal will be tied to UT?

I agree, I was told it was not permitted to directly require that he attend a certain school in exchange for the dough, more of a wink and nudge kind of deal. Sounds crazy to me but everything about NIL is. Here's Nico talking to Zach Ragan from this morning.

AP did say on the last podcast Nico would be committed before his April 9th visit

Reactions: KptVFL
The assumption is he wouldn't earn the other $8mm if he went elsewhere.

It's an option contract.

And 350k is pennies to what we're dealing with. But few rational folks would take 350k and give up $8mm...
That's what I don't understand. The assumption is that the 350k can't be tied to UT, but the assumption is that the 8 mil will be tied to UT?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Its legalized paying players…. Do you really think they are going to players to go to other schools? What were the exact words from the lawyer?

That's what I don't understand. The assumption is that the 350k can't be tied to UT, but the assumption is that the 8 mil will be tied to UT?
The 350k isn't tied to UT...not "can't" it simply isn't.

He gets that regardless.

It's his advance, is the way it was explained.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back