Sweet sixteen a success for this team?

Is beating Buffalo and Belmont really anything special though?
Awesome to make the sweet sixteen no matter who you play. We didn't pick out the teams. One of them beat a team that beat UConn so getting to the sweet sixteen is totally special for us that care about the team and the great way they have performed this year.

I remember when the LVs making the s16 was automatic. Pat only failed to get there once in her entire career.

yup, been a long time since that was the norm so we gotta get back to that. You can also thank Pat for the parity in womens basketball that makes the feat even harder now than back then. She would be proud ...

So when/if we get ti sweet16 i'm sure she will be smiling down on kellie and this team that has endured.

With all the injuries,would Lady Vol nation be happy? Sweet sixteen ceiling?
I think the Sweet Sixteen is a realistic ceiling, but I definitely want more. No reason to think with the right luck that we can’t get to the Elite 8. Luck being a healthy, functioning Jordy.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I remember when the LVs making the s16 was automatic. Pat only failed to get there once in her entire career.

And Kellie has been there once as coach in her entire career, which evidently was good enough to get this job...

No, a Sweet Sixteen last season would have been a success, and this season should have built on that...

Yawn... with all the injuries and people doubting and picking us to be upset even you know this is a good step. Just like you're waiting for them to slip up and not make it. I'm sure you got your post in draft mode already 😂 "anchorsup" and move on or whatever u vandy fans say

I would submit to you that Belmonts ‘upset’ of Oregon, FGCU over Virginia Tech, Villanova over BYU, SD over Ole Miss, Princeton over Rhyne Howard, are not ALL upsets, but rather the proof of the NCAA selection Committees bias and ignorance.
Making the Sweet 16 is a good accomplishment considering the injuries to key (no pun intended) players. When Burrell went down, I didn’t think we would win half our remaining games. When Horston went down, its went about like I expected. Key should be a double double machine, she isn’t. Her rebounding and close in shooting are both atrocious for her size. In her defense, she can’t play aggressive, teams flop and the refs buy it.

I would submit to you that Belmonts ‘upset’ of Oregon, FGCU over Virginia Tech, Villanova over BYU, SD over Ole Miss, Princeton over Rhyne Howard, are not ALL upsets, but rather the proof of the NCAA selection Committees bias and ignorance.
Making the Sweet 16 is a good accomplishment considering the injuries to key (no pun intended) players. When Burrell went down, I didn’t think we would win half our remaining games. When Horston went down, its went about like I expected. Key should be a double double machine, she isn’t. Her rebounding and close in shooting are both atrocious for her size. In her defense, she can’t play aggressive, teams flop and the refs buy it.
How are all those upsets an example of NCAA bias and ignorance?

Poor seeding. No thought put into it. Not that it makes a difference in who wins the tournament, but this many upsets- can’t all be upsets. You think the committee followed Belmonts season like they did Tennessees? Or UCONNs?

Creighton just knocked off 2 seed Iowa State (and Caitlin Clarke). Folks need to update expectations. This is not the old NCAA women's tournament. The transfer portal, which greatly helped Creighton, is redistributing good players. It is just some weird contrarian point to say that for example an unbiased NCAA would have ranked Iowa State lower or Creighton higher or would have foreseen this "upset." We have seen a lot of upsets because in a single game a good team can have an outstanding effort. Over say a 3 game series, Belmont does not beat Oregon, or Princeton does not eliminate KY and Creighton does not topple Iowa State. But the talent gap has closed enough that lower seed teams can threaten a higher seed on a single given night. In a tournament marked by upsets, the LVs taking care of their business, against a team with good talent, and doing so without their best player should not be discounted.

And Kellie has been there once as coach in her entire career, which evidently was good enough to get this job...
Just think, with a win Monday night she can double her career S16 output. I'm surprised you're not pulling hard for the LVs this game since it sets up your dream drubbing by Walz.

Much as I love everything Pat, I hope I live long enough to never see another post starting out with "I remember under Pat we . . . ." Memory Lane is beautiful, but most of us haven't lived there for a decade or so. Of course Pat and everyone else wants more than a sweet16 some day, that's a given. It's a process.

For this team, patched together with duct tape and baling wire, finding a way to the Sweet 16, combined with 25 wins, top 3 finish SEC reg season and tourney, is obviously a success. Bumpy as hell ride, but trajectory continues up. Ask the portal PG already committed or the NPOY type player who has us in her finalists.

That said, a loss tomorrow night would be a setback and overshadow the accomplishments. Table is set, we gotta eat.

Poor seeding. No thought put into it. Not that it makes a difference in who wins the tournament, but this many upsets- can’t all be upsets. You think the committee followed Belmonts season like they did Tennessees? Or UCONNs?
Belmont went 1-5 against P5 competition (I included future P5 UCF too.)They beat Ole Miss and lost to Georgia Tech, Louisville, Auburn, Arkansas and UCF. That's an above average OOC schedule and all of those teams except for Auburn made the NCAAs. The rest of the teams they beat were mid majors.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Just think, with a win Monday night she can double her career S16 output. I'm surprised you're not pulling hard for the LVs this game since it sets up your dream drubbing by Walz.

Much as I love everything Pat, I hope I live long enough to never see another post starting out with "I remember under Pat we . . . ." Memory Lane is beautiful, but most of us haven't lived there for a decade or so. Of course Pat and everyone else wants more than a sweet16 some day, that's a given. It's a process.

For this team, patched together with duct tape and baling wire, finding a way to the Sweet 16, combined with 25 wins, top 3 finish SEC reg season and tourney, is obviously a success. Bumpy as hell ride, but trajectory continues up. Ask the portal PG already committed or the NPOY type player who has us in her finalists.

That said, a loss tomorrow night would be a setback and overshadow the accomplishments. Table is set, we gotta eat.

I sooh feel for Elvee/Darth. The conflicting emotions must be really uncomfortable. On the one hand, a LV loss againt Belmosnt would all him o her to go full gloat mode but then s/he misses out on living the dream of Louisville drubbing the LVs. Yet, game, should it come to pass, would also harbor the nightmare scenario of the LVs pulling the upset. So risk versus reward calculations come into play. Challenging times indeed....

Believe me, I'm rooting hard for my long-awaited Harper/Walz showdown.

Bumpy as hell ride, but trajectory continues up. Ask the portal PG already committed or the NPOY type player who has us in her finalists.

That's debatable. Even with the Powell commitment, recruiting is still a big question mark IMO. They've been "finalists" for a lot of great players.

That said, a loss tomorrow night would be a setback and overshadow the accomplishments.

Agreed. A loss at home to Belmont would make this season an unequivocal failure, and would have even more devastating ramifications than the Michigan debacle last year...

VN Store

Back