‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

It was reported by I believe AP himself that the 350k is nonrefundable and that its a show of faith and has no obligations to any school. They said that if Nico wanted to work other schools for the 350k he could.

And I understand your sentiment but that 350k could have been "donated" by a "sponser" to get the ball rolling, and have nothing to do with any other money that has been donated from anyone else.
Okay.

If it's 350k good faith money then they have just kicked-off a bidding situation. If I'm his lawyer that's what I do.

It was reported by I believe AP himself that the 350k is nonrefundable and that its a show of faith and has no obligations to any school. They said that if Nico wanted to work other schools for the 350k he could.

And I understand your sentiment but that 350k could have been "donated" by a "sponser" to get the ball rolling, and have nothing to do with any other money that has been donated from anyone else.
I still don't believe it. I suspect there are outs but if he signed something there are strings. Otherwise there's no reason to sign anything. May as well just wired him the money.

On the other hand if it is the case, I suspect that's why we're seeing a delay in his commitment. Probably fielding other offers. Seeing if there are others willing to give him some free cash.

Then I won't belive Spyre is that stupid until I see it.
Okay, I just went and ponied up to read the Article. Butchna is right. Mandel says the lawyer for the athlete let Mandel review the contract in exchange for Mandel agreeing not to divulge who the athlete was, or who the collective was. Assuming it is Nico and Spyre though, here's the pull quote.
Screenshot_20220320-144115-821.png

Ok, I'm glad you're not running things. We'd be out of NIL money and not sign anybody. And Alabama and GA would be laughing their collective asses off.
If $350k breaks us? Then we’re not even in this game. That depletes Furman and they go on a payment plan. We’re better.

Reactions: UTK and VolByLaw
Okay, I just went and ponied up to read the Article. Butchna is right. Mandel says the lawyer for the athlete let Mandel review the contract in exchange for Mandel agreeing not to divulge who the athlete was, or who the collective was. Assuming it is Nico and Spyre though, here's the pull quote.
View attachment 441094
That simply states it doesn't bind him to a school. It doesn't state it doesn't bind him to Spyre. That is my point.

If $350k breaks us? Then we’re not even in this game. That depletes Furman and they go on a payment plan. We’re better.
thumbs-up-okay.gif

Reactions: VOLSONLY
How is giving hundred of thousands of dollars ABOVE the table to TRY and get a recruit, any different than giving hundreds of thousands of dollars UNDER the table to TRY and get a recruit?

How up-in-arms were any of you with the old, illegal system? Do ya'll realize that many a recruit accepted cash under the table from one school, only to sign elsewhere? I guarantee you it happened more times than one can imagine. How much cash do y’all think Bryce Brown accepted from everywhere else?

I asked this same question when word leaked about the NIL agreement. I was told that even though the $350K is guaranteed, he would have to sign a contract with Spyre sports in order to receive the money. Once he did that, he cannot sign another NIL if he choose to go to another school. So if he went to Oregon, he can't sign an NIL there because he has already signed one and Sprye is affiliated with TN. So he would not be able to ever receive another dime of money if he went anywhere other than Knoxville.
At least that is my understanding.

But if his compensation is based on showing up on Thursday night at Calhoun's on the river for a radio show and he's in Eugene at a fraternity party he's not meeting his obligations to NIL. So he's not getting paid.

How absurd would that be?

“Welcome back to the Nation with Chris Low and Austin Price, live here tonight from Calhoun’s on the River. It’s now time for our weekly segment with University of Oregon starting quarterback Nico Iamaleava. How’s it going, Nico?”

Edit: It would be like when George kept showing up to work at PlayNow when everyone wanted him gone.

Last edited:
"Show up at Hounddogs from Monday-Saturday of this week at 2 PM each day for this month's 150k. Thanks"

Don't see how he can meet the NiL obligations if he isn't here.
Basically, what this Mandel article is, is a commercial for this lawyer Caspirino. He's saying come to me kids and I'll negotiate out of your contract all this BS these collectives try to pull over on you like I did for this unnamed client (whom he purports to have negotiated the sort of BS you are referring to out of the contract for). He probably represented this kid for free or for a discount for the express purpose of going to Mandel with this and trying to make himself the go to guy for players for NIL deals. One of the big takeaways from this article is be sure you get a lawyer to deal with these shady NIL collectives, kids. Sound advice certainly, but Caspirino is wanting to be that lawyer the kids run to.

Reactions: VolByLaw
But if his compensation is based on showing up on Thursday night at Calhoun's on the river for a radio show and he's in Eugene at a fraternity party he's not meeting his obligations to NIL. So he's not getting paid.
Doesn't sound like this guy Caspirino allowed that kind of BS in this particular kid's contact, nor would any remotely decent lawyer. As I said at more length above basically Mandel's article is telling kids to lawyer up and giving them Caspirino's business card.

VN Store

Back