Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Wow o wow. Thanks for reminding me. I think we exchanged posts that we had come to the same conclusion. I can also remember a number of posts that said this recruiting class (21) was a good core class one that a foundation could be built upon. I only remember CJ extolling the class as having a conference FOY. Then the wins came and all of a sudden the expectations became bigger and bigger. At the beginning of the year many people looked at this team and said they are definitely a sweet sixteen team and probably elite eight. Then the talk was of #1 seed and which region to get. How the final four was a real possibility. In the beginning almost everyone was happy that KJH had turned around the negative vibes attached to the team and the players were buying into her system. The future that once was bright and full of hope is now gloom and despair. I guess we are all typical fans living vicariously through the struggles of 18 to 21 year old girls. Not realizing that the disappointment that we are experiencing has been caused by our own self's desires to be validated by the girls' achievements. Because we are disappointed we rain criticism and condemnation down on them. And now that these same girls are struggling and needing support, they find the family, they thought they joined, is calling for their athletic heads.
This post is everything! So very true.

Reactions: NeedOrange
In the beginning almost everyone was happy that KJH had turned around the negative vibes attached to the team and the players were buying into her system.
I was very happy with those achievements, I still am. I also thought for sure I was seeing real player development across the board which was super exciting. Now I'm wondering how much of that development was because of lesser competition in the early schedule. That's a real bummer.
I guess we are all typical fans living vicariously through the struggles of 18 to 21 year old girls. Not realizing that the disappointment that we are experiencing has been caused by our own self's desires to be validated by the girls' achievements. Because we are disappointed we rain criticism and condemnation down on them. And now that these same girls are struggling and needing support, they find the family, they thought they joined, is calling for their athletic heads.
I guess I don't delve that deeply into the psychology of it all. For me they're just a sports team I've followed for years and enjoy, ups and downs and all. One thing though, I never think for a minute I'm a "family they joined", or that anything I call for affects the real team in any way. They did join a sports family, but its not this board. Some of their actual sports family might be "calling for their athletic heads" and that would be alarming. But that does not include fan message boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeedOrange
I do have a question for the ones that are trying to tell us what Kellie should be doing, do any of you have access to practices?!

I’m curious as into how you all know Kellie isn’t disciplining the team already because of turnovers and they just aren’t responding?

The problem is, we haven’t been able to recruit an elite point guard, and until that happens, we’ll continue to have a problem with turnovers.
I do know that during the post game interview KJH said that guarding Fudd was part of the game plan. I imagine that they practiced guarding against the 3. Maybe the team just didn't respond to her coaching?

And for those who think if you don't see it, it's not happening. Or those that fume that the players are petulant snowflakes who will transfer at first scolding. That was all weird fan projecting.

In her media availability today (vid on another thread), Kellie said when she found out that clip was in the show, first thing she thought was fans are going to do the "It's Pat!" thing. Said she doesn't mind the constant comparison bc she knows fans want to hang on to any part of Pat thru her. She's being gracious, she deserves more of her own coaching identity. Hopefully that is currently happening, and will be really helped by a nice tourney run to finish a very solid season.

And for those who think if you don't see it, it's not happening. Or those that fume that the players are petulant snowflakes who will transfer at first scolding. That was all weird fan projecting.

In her media availability today (vid on another thread), Kellie said when she found out that clip was in the show, first thing she thought was fans are going to do the "It's Pat!" thing. Said she doesn't mind the constant comparison bc she knows fans want to hang on to any part of Pat thru her. She's being gracious, she deserves more of her own coaching identity. Hopefully that is currently happening, and will be really helped by a nice tourney run to finish a very solid season.

Exactly, it is a bizzaro fantasy world they have created where Kellie spends all her time figuring out she can enhance her player's self-esteem and shelter her precious snowflakes from the heat of criticism. And these people always make these statements with such assuredness; you would think they were taking notes in the lockerroom when it is all happening.

Last edited:
Pretty good proof someone over there reads the board.
Not sure about that. I think most fans outside this board (and that's most fans by a long, long shot) also want to hang on to Pat thru Kellie. She said she understands its natural. I just hope we can move past it pretty soon and establish a firm positive identity as the "new' LVs. I think that would really help recruiting.

She will have her own identity and it will be a great one. Every player who played for her and wore the orange has been affected by CPS. How could they not? CKH happens to share the passion, intensity and love of the game as her mentor but she demanded the best of herself before her first dribble on Rocky Top. That’s who she is and the team better buckle up.

Pretty sure she knew and the team knew espn was in the room.

Look at me y'all, I'm just like Pat!

VrZM.gif

Kellie is not "Pat"
but then again
Pat is not "Kellie"

This is not a dig on Pat,,,but its all in how you respond to things
I have coached many sisters in my time. When a younger sister follows a hard to follow big sister, the younger is always references as the "sister",,,the first coaching thing I tell the younger sister:

"Whenever someone ask you "Are you _____'s sister, I want you to say "NO, ______ is MY sister.

Its all about identity...
no one's ever gonna be a Pat Summitt,,,,but then,,,no one is ever gonna be a Kellie Harper,,,either

Go get em Coach K
;o)

Heh, I appreciate the video, but the fact is the people who threw out their snide accusations about her being "too soft" or "too friendly" without having any firsthand knowledge aren't going to change their minds. I mean, they didn't have any actual knowledge when they made their accusations to begin with. Just slinging mud to sling mud.

Look at me y'all, I'm just like Pat!

VrZM.gif
That’s a bit harsh I think. Yep she sure looked and sounded like Coach Summit. But it does my heart good to see that video. She has to coach in a new time which would have made Coach Summit‘s methods different.
Kellie’s obvious issue is recruiting Imo. She has got to sign more high level players, otherwise our results will be somewhat disappointing.

Kellie is not "Pat"
but then again
Pat is not "Kellie"

This is not a dig on Pat,,,but its all in how you respond to things
I have coached many sisters in my time. When a younger sister follows a hard to follow big sister, the younger is always references as the "sister",,,the first coaching thing I tell the younger sister:

"Whenever someone ask you "Are you _____'s sister, I want you to say "NO, ______ is MY sister.

Its all about identity...
no one's ever gonna be a Pat Summitt,,,,but then,,,no one is ever gonna be a Kellie Harper,,,either

Go get em Coach K
;o)

If I good give 10 likes for this I would.
Kellie is part mom, dad, friends, teammates, PS and as far as coaching Wes Moore, her high school coach etc.. But more than anyone, she is herself. I get tired of and it is not fair to compare her (good or bad) to Pat Summitt. Every time I see one of those post I want to make a post that she reminds me of Wes Moore when he and her were at Chattanooga.

VN Store

Back