BasketVols in the NBA

The truth probably is in that in between area, of course there’s a lot of time left…but definitely think at this point it would be surprising to see him go Top 15.
I started the season thinking there’s no way he goes any later than 15th, but I do think there’s a chance now he falls to the late 20’s. Selfishly, I’d like to see OKC take him at 15 or 30.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
The truth probably is in that in between area, of course there’s a lot of time left…but definitely think at this point it would be surprising to see him go Top 15.

He is slipping and I wouldn't be shocked to see him slide to the 2nd round if the NBA draft was today.

As an NBA prospect, KC struggles to finish around the rim and doesn't get to the FT much at all. 62% from the FT line and 33% from 3 from an undersized PG doesn't place you very high up NBA draft boards. He needs to develop a mid range game to combat the length he will deal with at the rim.

In SEC play, he is shooting 24% from 3 and 48% from the FT line with a 1:1 asst to turnover ratio. That is not good.

He is slipping and I wouldn't be shocked to see him slide to the 2nd round if the NBA draft was today.

As an NBA prospect, KC struggles to finish around the rim and doesn't get to the FT much at all. 62% from the FT line and 33% from 3 from an undersized PG doesn't place you very high up NBA draft boards. He needs to develop a mid range game to combat the length he will deal with at the rim.

In SEC play, he is shooting 24% from 3 and 48% from the FT line with a 1:1 asst to turnover ratio. That is not good.
Agree completely, early on the year it appeared his shot was really good and we saw him around 15 at that time, thought was that was about his peak and that the knock was his measurables which won’t ever change…but if his stock falls to late 1st/2nd round and it’s because of questions about his shot/FT% then there’s definitely a legit possibility he considers returning and trying to get back into Top 20.

Agree completely, early on the year it appeared his shot was really good and we saw him around 15 at that time, thought was that was about his peak and that the knock was his measurables which won’t ever change…but if his stock falls to late 1st/2nd round and it’s because of questions about his shot/FT% then there’s definitely a legit possibility he considers returning and trying to get back into Top 20.

2023 is shaping up to be a loaded draft class, not to mention 2022 isn't a strong PG class. These are things KC and his family will have to weigh. He may improve dramatically, but his draft stock may not just due to the classes.

It will depend on how much he likes school as well. A large factor in Bone leaving early was that he didn't enjoy being a student. I have no idea how KC feels about it, but if he doesn't like being a student, his draft stock slipping might not matter to him as much as we would think.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
With Shaedon Sharpe being ruled eligible for the 2022 draft that’s a name that will be slotted in front of Chandler now as well, whether he ultimately enters the draft or not is TBD.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
With Shaedon Sharpe being ruled eligible for the 2022 draft that’s a name that will be slotted in front of Chandler now as well, whether he ultimately enters the draft or not is TBD.
My guess is that with his meteoric rise (he was a relative unknown just a year ago) and his immediate eligibility will likely make it more beneficial to him to jump straight in. A similar situation with Hamidou Diallo at UK cost him a lot of money by sticking around and playing after enrolling early. If Sharpe is projected in the top 10, he'd be taking a huge gamble on himself and the reward doesn't really outweigh the risk.

Last edited:
My guess is that with his meteoric rise (he was a relative unknown just a year ago) and his immediate eligibility will likely make it more beneficial to him to jump straight in. A similar situation with Hamidou Diallo at UK coat him a lot of money by sticking around and playing after enrolling early. If Sharpe is projected in the top 10, he'd be taking a huge gamble on himself and the reward doesn't really outweigh the risk.
I agree

Anybody got ESPN Insider care to share where they have Chandler and what they say about him?

2022 NBA mock draft: Which teams are in line to draft college basketball's 'big 3'?
No. 25 in Givony's list to the Bucks...

Chandler has had a roller coaster of a freshman year, coming up flat in some of Tennessee's biggest games this season while showing significant potential in others. Opinions on how to view him as an NBA prospect vary drastically from team to team and scout to scout, which may be partially due to the Vols' extremely difficult schedule. No team has played tougher defenses thus far according to KenPom, which has surely provided for a difficult learning curve for the skinny 19-year=old point guard.

At his best, Chandler is clearly one of the most talented point guards in the college game, blessed with incredible speed and burst, shifty ball-handling ability, terrific creativity as a finisher and passer and flashes of real shot-making ability. His quickness, basketball instincts and length are evidenced by the way he gets in passing lanes, averaging more steals than any player in the final ESPN 100 for 2021.
With that said, he's looked surprisingly tentative for big parts of the season, passing up open looks regularly, appearing reluctant to use his speed to his advantage, struggling from the free-throw line and looking too often to the sidelines for guidance instead of playing off his outstanding instincts. Some of that may be due to the rigid system he plays in, where he's mostly surrounded by non-shooters in traditional lineups with multiple big men. That doesn't explain why Chandler, a career 80% free-throw shooter entering college (on a healthy sample size) is making just 60% of his attempts at the stripe this season, though.

Scouts will hope to see Chandler's confidence grow as the year moves on and he hopefully finds a little more swagger and on-court personality to match his terrific talent -- sometimes it takes longer for freshman guards to find their footing. Questions already exist about Chandler's size (measured 5-foot-11 barefoot), thin frame and his struggles shooting off the dribble, leaving teams to ponder whether he projects as a solid backup or if he can evolve into more than that as his NBA career progresses.

With 11 SEC games still left to play, along with the SEC and NCAA tournaments, there's quite a bit of time left for Chandler to show growth, especially with many of the team's toughest games already in the rearview.
-Givony

No. 25 in Givony's list to the Bucks...

-Givony
I guess I've never really thought about anything physically on him except his height/length but never really considered him that thin. He looks well built overall but I suppose from the side, he's not got that big of a chest/upper body besides defined muscles. Makes sense that that is a knock on him at the next level.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back