Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea well now we are swimming in those water. Tennessee at one point was believed to be the leader for all of them, Barnes finished 2nd to all of them. When it mattered he got beat, of course he isnt gonna bat 100%, nobody is. But on the recruits he went after the hardest he was about 25%

The fact that we are swimming in those waters means something. Still getting top 75 recruits. But those guys have to be developed. Not really sure of the point. I guess he should just back off and just recruit lesser players. Every other coach, other than Pearl, had no shot at these type players. Even Pearl only really got one of them and wasn’t really at that level.

You definitely need a certain type of humor to fully like/appreciate IASIP. Personally, I love it. Was one of my favorite shows for years.
Guess so. Also think Dexter was one of dumbest things ive ever seen.

Do like Mike Judge humor as well as the Office, in small doses.

The fact that we are swimming in those waters means something. Still getting top 75 recruits. But those guys have to be developed. Not really sure of the point. I guess he should just back off and just recruit lesser players. Every other coach, other than Pearl, had no shot at these type players. Even Pearl only really got one of them and wasn’t really at that level.
That’s what people said about Butch’s recruiting too. And it costed us Tee, TL, Cade, etc. and it’s only gonna get worse

That’s what people said about Butch’s recruiting too. And it costed us Tee, TL, Cade, etc. and it’s only gonna get worse

Not even the same. Barnes has been an elite recruiter for years. Apples and oranges.

So, I guess the next coach can automatically get those players? Nope.

AP said it’s numbers. They can’t take more transfers until we lose players to the portal. Look for them to add more after spring ball when some on the current roster leave.

AP said he expects we end up adding 5-6 more eventually.

We do seem to making the numbers work for offensive transfers. Could be that offensive players really want to play in this system, and we can't turn them down?

Reactions: Vols4us
I'm not going to lie, even though I'll probably get accused of being negative for saying this, one of my concerns about Heupel has always been if he would be so focused on offense, he'd be negligent of the defense. He's an offensive coach. It's what he knows, backwards and forwards, and he's damn good at it. But we've seen the defense struggle this past season, and there appears, to many fans at least, that there's room to upgrade on that side of the ball. At times, it's like we have a Ferrari on offense and a Pinto on defense.

But it is what it is. I like Heupel, and I like this staff, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully we find some help on defense eventually.
Offensive players can see how they would be used based on the success we had last year. Defensive players don’t have that luxury. The D was on the field too many plays and running around tired. Too many plays pads stats but also leaves a lot of bad film if you are playing tired. Then you have other coaches insinuating its shows our coaches aren’t good.

Yes, yes, yes…when you were dogging the Lady Vols and coach, that’s worked well for them. 🤔

Please get down on the Men’s team, lookout E8, here we come. 😂
Still not sold on the Lady Vols. I have to give them credit for what they've accomplished. I just don't see them sustaining. They absolutely have no offensive identity. Their defense is stout though.

On the men's side they seem broken. They seem to be going through the motions. I have little confidence they'll turn it around. I see a bubble team and if they do get in, a first round loss. They have zero inside game and are a below average shooting team.

I'm not calling for Barnes job. I have zero confidence we can do any better. As I've mentioned before, the top three teams in the conference are coached by proven cheaters. I don't think the UT administration is dedicated enough to winning to swim in the same waters as these teams. They're content to have average teams and remain "amateur" status. Even with NIL they seem to be satisfied with trying to play the game the way is was meant to be played rather than exploit the opportunity as the big boys have. I think it's no coincidence when it comes to the fall off in recruiting and NIL. By his own words, Coach Barnes seems in denial about what's happening in saying that he doesn't believe that the players will get what they're being promised. He doesn't seem to want to play that game.

Given all that, I have lowered my expectations for all UT sports. In order to be competitive at the highest levels you have to be dedicated to it. I just don't have the feeling that UT has a desire to do what it takes to compete at that level. JMO.

Last edited:
I remember when I was a student at Tennessee, our basketball season wss over as soon as the SEC tournament was finished. Don’t remember ever going to the NCAA tournament.
With Coach Barnes, I have at least seen my Volunteers in March Madness. I hope that this team can become one and get hot at the right time…

The epitaph being written on here of Barnes demise is way too premature IMO.

A casual perusal through the W/L records of past FF participants should remind folks not to rush to judgment in January.

We will see if he can regain the trust of this team and build an offensive identity. The time required will be measured in years, not days.

Last edited:
Decision made one game too late. They are the worst crew in the league.

I've heard for the past several years that there is a zebra shortage and this leads to poor officiating.

Is that difficult to get to the college or NFL level of officiating?

Is the compensation poor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back