Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
UT/Barnes seem intent on playing by the rules never even venturing into the gray area. The biggest cheaters on the planet are the three best teams in the conference. That's usually not a recipe for success.

There's time to turn it around but I've seen nothing to think they will.

giphy.gif

This dude can't even have a disagreement with someone without flipping his lid.
I think you two are made for each other

If you really believe that then you are sadly mistaken. You don’t achiever success in college football without cheating in every way possible. TN just sucks at cheating.

The moral high ground crap is for losers. I don’t care if we cheat as bad or worse than any team in the country. I just want to win.
That says all I need to know about your character.

I don't think the team is getting better. This team is not a top 25 team. Could they improve? Maybe. I'll have to see it to believe it.

I think Barnes has reached his ceiling. He did what we needed him to do. I don't see the benefit of letting him keep going until he retires.

This team? The one that just shot 53.4% from the field (4th highest of season) & 47.8% (2nd highest of season) from 3 isn’t getting better? On the road against one of the top 2 teams in the SEC.

This team? The one that just shot 53.4% from the field (4th hugest of season) & 47.8% (2nd highest of season) from 3 isn’t getting better? On the road against one of the top 2 teams in the SEC.
We haven't been competitive against anyone with a pulse this season.

But I'm talking about Barnes' tenure here. This team has not gotten better since Williams left. Not at all. That's in spite of the great recruiting Barnes has done.

But I'm talking about Barnes' tenure here. This team has not gotten better since Williams left. Not at all. That's in spite of the great recruiting Barnes has done.

Goal post moving?

Define competitive? Cause Texas Tech, Arizona, Alabama, UNC all teams with pulses we were competitive with.

@Bassmaster_Vol - so just who do you think we could realistically get to take us to that next level?

Coach K, Few, Self, Calipari, Izzo, Wright, Drew, Huggins, Altman…none of which would come here.

I would hold on to Barnes another year or two to see how Kim English pans out at George Mason. Currently 7-6 in his first year. Regardless of whoever it might be, they have to be able to recruit.

Reactions: Brillovol
I am paralyzed by being able to see both sides of the Barnes issue. I personally think he should stay here until he wants to leave unless he is missing multiple NCAA tournaments in a row. As long as we are making the dance I am content to keep him. We are not a program with a lot of historical success in basketball and if we are making the tourney pretty much every year I think we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But I understand the other perspective. It is frustrating that we haven't been able to capitalize on the success of the 2017-2019 period. We've recruited extremely well and it doesn't feel like that potential is being maximized. There's no reason Auburn or Alabama can go deep in the tournament and we can't. I agree with all of that.

I've just watched us fiddle around and make things appreciably worse because we ran out of patience way too quickly. I think that's why I come down on the pro-Barnes side. If things fall apart and we miss the tournament this year, with all of this talent and returning production, then I think the next year his seat is going to be hot.

I don’t have an issue with saying Barnes isn’t the guy. But I don’t think us firing one of the most respected coaches in the game mid season will make this job attractive enough to hire a coach that can get us there.

And if I’m honest I think keeping a clean basketball program is the best move until the dust settles on the Pruitt era BS.

@Bassmaster_Vol - so just who do you think we could realistically get to take us to that next level?

Coach K, Few, Self, Calipari, Izzo, Wright, Drew, Huggins, Altman…none of which would come here.

I would hold on to Barnes another year or two to see how Kim English pans out at George Mason. Currently 7-6 in his first year. Regardless of whoever it might be, they have to be able to recruit.
Thankfully we hired a superstar AD to make that decision. And I trust him to do it.

I go back to my previous statement. Firing Barnes would give Tennessee a black eye. Barnes needs to choose to walk away. Or, at the very least, it needs to look like his choice. It's not like Barnes hasn't had success here, just not the level of success some desperately want. Fire him, and you alienate a lot of coaches in the candidate pool because Barnes is highly respected by his peers. It would be Fulmer all over again, just in basketball this time.

I am paralyzed by being able to see both sides of the Barnes issue. I personally think he should stay here until he wants to leave unless he is missing multiple NCAA tournaments in a row. As long as we are making the dance I am content to keep him. We are not a program with a lot of historical success in basketball and if we are making the tourney pretty much every year I think we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But I understand the other perspective. It is frustrating that we haven't been able to capitalize on the success of the 2017-2019 period. We've recruited extremely well and it doesn't feel like that potential is being maximized. There's no reason Auburn or Alabama can go deep in the tournament and we can't. I agree with all of that.

I've just watched us fiddle around and make things appreciably worse because we ran out of patience way too quickly. I think that's why I come down on the pro-Barnes side. If things fall apart and we miss the tournament this year, with all of this talent and returning production, then I think the next year his seat is going to be hot.[/

QUOTE]

Agreed

Reactions: GoBigOrange86
I don’t have an issue with saying Barnes isn’t the guy. But I don’t think us firing one of the most respected coaches in the game mid season will make this job attractive enough to hire a coach that can get us there.

And if I’m honest I think keeping a clean basketball program is the best move until the dust settles on the Pruitt era BS.
Maybe not firing. But pushing towards retirement.

Reactions: VolNash17
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back