Transfer Portal vs coaches moving.

Nocleats

Has anyone thought that if a head coach leaves, the players on his roster
Could all go with him? I mean to me there should be rule that says players can’t transfer to the school their coach went to, for at least 2 years.
Coaches without ethics could tell the school that hires them that they can bring several of their players with them, thus destroying the team they are leaving. Every other school is fine, just not where their coach goes

Could all go with him? I mean to me there should be rule that says players can’t transfer to the school their coach went to, for at least 2 years.
Coaches without ethics could tell the school that hires them that they can bring several of their players with them, thus destroying the team they are leaving. Every other school is fine, just not where their coach goes
Why? Kids are committing to a coach and not the school most of the time whether or not you want to accept it.

Think 3 or so players transferred from Louisiana to Florida to follow Napier, so it’s begun to happen

Reactions: savannahfan
You worry about nothing.
Coaches are hired away by better programs.
Better programs have higher talent requirements for players.
Maybe a handful meet those requirements and transfer follow a coach.
I don't see a mass exit to follow a coach.
Players interact with their position coaches way more than with the HC.
Assistant coaches move around quite often.

So you are saying lets have the transfer portal but you can't go to a particular school??? If you do not think that won't happen then I have one hell of an oceanfront lot in Knoxville I will be glad to sell you. I not sure it will be a coach taking a huge group of players but it will happen...

Dumb idea. Like the second poster stated, kids commit more to the coach than to the school. Been that way for a long time just too many naive people to see it. I guarantee if there was a portal in the 90's and the player didn't have to sit out a year there would be a LOT less VFLs than yall think there is.

Reactions: chattaboogie
all the young men learn from the portal is that your word does not mean anything. i know certain thing happen in a young man life that he has to move somewhere else and we understand that. but just to leave for no apperant reason.they need to limite the number of players than can transfer in a year to keep a team from that could end up with not enough players to compet on game day just my openion

At OU, there is a strong belief that Lincoln Riley had already informed Caleb Williams and some select coaches that he was leaving and would have a place for them at USC. Caleb obviously leaked the info to Mario Williams (WR) who entered the portal immediately. Both have visited USC And most likely end up there. Better believe it is happening. College football has morphed into recruiting your roster for the following year rather than building a program with 3-4 year scholarship players, IMHO.

When a coach leaves while under contract there is usually a financial penalty to be paid by someone, Since players are now allowed to earn unlimited income, maybe scholarship contracts should be structured so that there are financial ramifications to leaving while under contract. Shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too. With more power comes more responsibility.... usually....

Many companies have similar limitations. I left a job in May and am unable to hire people from my last employer for 1 year. This was a prerequisite to my hiring with the previous company. They also originally proposed limiting the companies that I could work for if I were to leave the company, but I did not agree to that one. Our industry also has similar limitations when laying off employees as part of their severance package. If they do not agree, then no severance payout.

Schools could put these stipulations into coaching contracts to prevent them from poaching players from the school when leaving. It would probably need to be an NCAA requirement to avoid potential collusion between member schools. If only a few schools tried to implement this rule, coaches would not agree.

Like Riley is doing OU? It’s a mess. Schools paying millions to recruit kids then the coach leaves & the player leaves also. You’d think schools would have smarter people running them but obviously they don’t.

Oh it's just just getting started...... Coaches to other schools, the transfer portal (at least sitting out a year before made sense), NIL Deals to teen-age kids, -- All without any integrity, accountability, or consequences. It's all about the almighty dollar, now! And it will KILL college sports. --Disparity between Power 5 and other conferences will only get worse. Then Disparity between Teams in the same conference; Disparity between players on the same team.... It's big dollar Hot-Mess!!!!

Riley to USC
And his players and recruits followed

I think a lot of people expected this. Let me think...I am a young, stud muffin football player. Hmmmm, I can stay here in Norman, OK or I can go with my coach to the sunny, Southern California beaches. What to do..what to do?

VN Store

Back