Calbert to the Portal

If is D Davis, we are in doodoo
Guys improve. IIRC, Davis is a Soph, right? Lots of programs have a system where guys RS then get some PT and eventually start in their 4th and 5th year. Mizzou in particular made that model work really well under Pinkel.

I'm not saying he will become an SEC worthy OL. I am saying that it is silly to write him off already.

Well this isn't good. He would have probably started at RT. Unless Nichols came in and showed out. Crawford and Davis aren't starting caliber imo.

Deep depth on the OL... lack of it cost us 2 games last year. Don’t care how likely he was to start losing him is not good. It’s not doom and gloom, but def not good.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Well this isn't good. He would have probably started at RT. Unless Nichols came in and showed out. Crawford and Davis aren't starting caliber imo.

Crawford is the odds on favorite to start at this juncture. long way to go, but he would be the one right now.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
he could have been told by the staff he had little chance at playing.. he has been injured during his time here as much as he has been healthy.
This is probably what happened. As long as no one is a malcontent I can’t see them forcing anyone from the team but I’m sure the staff is having some conversations with some guys about where they are on the depth chart. I expect more to follow. Jmo uneducated as it may be. 😂

Deep depth on the OL... lack of it cost us 2 games last year. Don’t care how likely he was to start losing him is not good. It’s not doom and gloom, but def not good.
Someone with his injury history really couldn’t be depended upon as depth. We really need some space to add some guys that will be a factor in the wins and losses column.

This is probably what happened. As long as no one is a malcontent I can’t see them forcing anyone from the team but I’m sure the staff is having some conversations with some guys about where they are on the depth chart. I expect more to follow. Jmo uneducated as it may be. 😂

last year, they brought in 11 transfers after spring ball. they won't bring in that many this year but it appears they are targeting that time frame for transfers. In order to do that, the roster numbers have to be reduced. there is no way around that. At one point the numbers were looking like this.

67 returning players plus 25 initial counters plus 7 transfers equals 99 roster spots. that would require 14 players leaving from the 67 in order to maintain 85 on the roster.

Now, with the thinking the roster is going to be 80, they still need players to leave if they intend to bring in transfers. Current thinking is around 27 combination of transfers and new signees. That number is currently 22 on board. so maybe 5 more. if all that remains the goals, than 9 more players are going to have to leave. If they decide not to bring in more players, then 4 more are going to have to leave.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I have a feeling that the portal is going to make or break Heupel. The incoming freshmen may not have any immediate impact players (it's rare). That means that the net gain from players transferring out/in needs to be significant. In order for next season to be considered a step forward from this season, help is needed at OL, RB, WR and every position on the defense. That's a tough task.

There’s about 5 guys on the current roster that I have on my list that need to move on to make space and he’s one of them.

Not saying you're wrong but I wonder why Davis played more than Crawford?

Crawford was coming on later in the year and grading pretty good with the PFF grades. They like his potential. his progress is the only reason they have that feeling. Now he needs to continue that the next 8 or 9 months. As do all of them.

last year, they brought in 11 transfers after spring ball. they won't bring in that many this year but it appears they are targeting that time frame for transfers. In order to do that, the roster numbers have to be reduced. there is no way around that. At one point the numbers were looking like this.

67 returning players plus 25 initial counters plus 7 transfers equals 99 roster spots. that would require 14 players leaving from the 67 in order to maintain 85 on the roster.

Now, with the thinking the roster is going to be 80, they still need players to leave if they intend to bring in transfers. Current thinking is around 27 combination of transfers and new signees. That number is currently 22 on board. so maybe 5 more. if all that remains the goals, than 9 more players are going to have to leave. If they decide not to bring in more players, then 4 more are going to have to leave.

This sounds like there are some very serious personnel discussions and introspective self-evaluations being had currently.

VN is going to be a very busy place for the next several months with the changes that will probably be occurring.

Whatever it takes to get better as a team and the best to those that move on.

Go Vols !!

yes I still don't understand some of these guys entering the portal. Why would the Oklahoma qb enter with all the nil money he would earn at okla and already he is the the starter. Why would Middleton enter and wind up playing for a non power 5 team. It is just mindboggling how many think transferring is going to help them in any way. It is not all about starting - I just can't wrap my head around all these guys thinking they would be in a better position with another team - esp when they all thank GOD and their coaches and their teammates and they will "always be sooner or whatever" and they then leave
help with this

Does the rumor that we might self impose a 5 player penalty fit in here somewhere ?

VN Store

Back