If you noticed one thing different

wmcovol

Those teams last night had that Tennessee is lacking it was speed on defense. Lord, those teams really run to the ball.

Neither OL was very good. Ga got some run game going in 2nd half With Williams out, both WR groups were average at best. Both QBs struggled for consistency with the pressure they were under.

Yep. Heupel with a legit defense under him could be scary good.

The offense should only continue to get better too. You have to think, Heupel spent this year running his offense with a ton of Pruitt’s players. Pruitt didn’t exactly recruit with this type of offense in mind.

The thing very apparent to me was that their running backs don't go down usually on the first hit. At times it was like bullets bouncing off Superman. I haven't seen this much at UT for a long time.

Also, the corners and defensive backs for both teams were top notch. That long pass Bennet threw and the guy caught it in the end zone - the Bama defender had him covered up and he still was able to pull it in. A very impressive catch.

Bottom line: Jimmy's and Joe's PLUS x's and o's. We are seriously not at this level when it comes to manpower.

We won’t get to this level overnight, but if we can have a sustained period of incremental success and improved recruiting, then we might get there by the decades end

Those teams last night had that Tennessee is lacking it was speed on defense. Lord, those teams really run to the ball.

Neither OL was very good. Ga got some run game going in 2nd half With Williams out, both WR groups were average at best. Both QBs struggled for consistency with the pressure they were under.
I think Tennessee has some speed, but both those teams last night maximized their speed by USING IT. They both were constantly sending loads of people forcing the offense to make fast decisions, which most often results in poor choices. Compare that with what the Vols’ defense did against Purdue. Occasionally forced some plays, but no where near what Alabama and Georgia did last night.

We seriously need to get more pressure on the QB's and get much better at coverage on the back end of our D.

I may be crazy and I know there's some risk to it but I still think we should blitz more than we did last season.

We all know we got cheated in the Music City Bowl and against laMe and his kids but I still believe that if we'd blitzed more against those teams we'd have stopped both of those teams from getting 1 or 2 TD's per game.

Probably could have done that against Pitt too.

Just my crazy thoughts in hindsight.

VFL...GBO!!!

We won’t get to this level overnight, but if we can have a sustained period of incremental success and improved recruiting, then we might get there by the decades end

Nah, it doesn't take anywhere near that long with the transfer portal, etc.

Also, I think it could be argued the we have a high level of of x's and o's, now we just need a few more Jimmys and Joes (as was stated above). On offense, we are not that far away, but on defense we need better starters AND backups.

I agree that we are a long way off. It's just not necessarily going to take that long to get there. Georgia overall set the bar pretty high this year, but it is not always the same level every year. Sometimes, it just takes a really solid team, and a great QB.

Reactions: blouder1

Overall talent in general was way above ours. The skill guys on the outside, the TE's, offensive lines, defense as a whole, they are both on a different level.

Nah, it doesn't take anywhere near that long with the transfer portal, etc.

Also, I think it could be argued the we have a high level of of x's and o's, now we just need a few more Jimmys and Joes (as was stated above). On offense, we are not that far away, but on defense we need better starters AND backups.

I agree that we are a long way off. It's just not necessarily going to take that long to get there. Georgia overall set the bar pretty high this year, but it is not always the same level every year. Sometimes, it just takes a really solid team, and a great QB.
It doesn’t have to take that long but if you look at the trajectories of Georgia and Clemson two schools we are very similar to then it makes a bit of sense. Championship level depth takes a while to build even with the new transfer market

If Heupel can ever get a top 5 or 10 defense, nobody will touch Tennessee.

Reactions: OneVolNation

There were several things both those teams had that we don’t. Hell both are stacked with four and five star talent at every position. Give Heupel that level of talent and he can compete with those teams.

If Heupel can ever get a top 5 or 10 defense, nobody will touch Tennessee.
The nature of his offense will prevent Tennessee from ever having a top ten defense. Doesn’t mean he can’t win and win big but you aren’t going to see a top tier defense when they’re out on the field all the time.

The main thing I noticed is that the TN offense look substantially better than either team against their respective defenses. I know it isn't their style of offense, but I really wondered why Bama didn't try to go a bit more up tempo during the game to get UGA off balance and their players out of position.

UGA offense looked really ugly. They are quite lucky their defense is as good as it is. But they're even luckier that Metchie was out and Williams had to leave the game. They narrowly beat a Bama squad that was missing mulitple 1st rounders. Congrats to them. They earned it. But they won't have a defense this good again. And if they keep running out vanilla offenses like this, they will get trounced by Bama next year.

Reactions: TN1111
I noticed many things. The biggest was the size AND speed on the lines of scrimmage. I mean it’s not even remotely close. The LBs? My God. Someone tell me we have a LB that could make either one of Bama or UGAs two deep. Even the offensive play makers. There is a difference.

Compared to Bama and UGA we are like Maryville high school.

Reactions: ptcarter
Oh and for those that continue to say that recruiting rankings mean nothing? Please explain last night then. Why didn’t Cincinnati win the NC?

I noticed many things. The biggest was the size AND speed on the lines of scrimmage. I mean it’s not even remotely close. The LBs? My God. Someone tell me we have a LB that could make either one of Bama or UGAs two deep. Even the offensive play makers. There is a difference.

We had a LB if that counts (Henry T). Mays would’ve been in UGA’s 2 deep.

Pressure is still what one needs to be a good defensive team. Speed allows one to make up for a couple of mistakes and it showed last night. Georgia was able to take advantage of th corner who had to replace the injured player and he was the weak link in Bama' defense. Georgia's defense was dialed in and set the pace for the game.Once Georgia's offense got rolling, their defense became more aggressive and Bama could never get back in the game. Congratulations to the Dogs on a well played game. This could be the beginning of the end to Bama's lock on the SEC and it would not surprise me if Saban hangs it up in a couple of years. I think Georgia will continue to recruit at the highest level and will rule until either TA&M or Tennessee takes over in 2-4 years. I can see it now, the new SEC scheduling will have Tennessee playing Bama, Georgia, Florida and they all find a way to add TA&M to our annual schedule. No rest for the weary.

Bottom line is those are two great teams who on paper should have obliterated us but could not. We had Bama on the ropes and played GA about as good as anyone else, except we only had like 60 active players. They are not going to get better (hard to improve on a team full of 5 stars) but we absolutely can and should. Once the NCAA garbage goes away and our recruiting gets back into the top 10, we will be competing with these teams. Sooner rather than later IMO. Quit moping

...and talent, size, stamina, strength... depth...

Reactions: Vol8188

Decent refs. I thought they did a good job last night, and unlike the refs we get, they didn't call pass interference every time a receiver didn't catch a pass. They let the players play...............;)

Reactions: feathersax

Size, speed and general physicality at the first two levels of the defense were really impressive. Both teams are well coached but IMO neither team is particularly innovative on either side of the ball - just super-talented, aggressive, and fundamentally sound.

The key for challengers like UT will be to develop an OLine that can slow the defensive pressure and give the offense a chance to operate.

Bottom line is those are two great teams who on paper should have obliterated us but could not. We had Bama on the ropes and played GA about as good as anyone else, except we only had like 60 active players. They are not going to get better (hard to improve on a team full of 5 stars) but we absolutely can and should. Once the NCAA garbage goes away and our recruiting gets back into the top 10, we will be competing with these teams. Sooner rather than later IMO. Quit moping

Both teams beat us by 4 TDs each. I mean is that not getting obliterated?

VN Store

Back