Learn about NIL

pimo1

#orangefont always implied
I see a lot of threads where people casually mention NIL as if it's one simple thing. It is not. Most states have their own NIL laws. Some are wildly different than others. In cases where the state does not have one, they go by the default NCAA NIL policy

TN Tennessee NIL Law for NCAA - Spry
important part for TN is
(i) An institution, or an officer, director, or employee of the institution may not be involved in the development, operation, or promotion of a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete’s name, image, or likeness, including actions that compensate or cause compensation to be provided to athletes.

Some states have this rule others allow University/Booster involvement to differing extents.

This lead to the founding of Spyre in TN and similar groups in other states are forming. New partnership aims at maximizing NIL for Tennessee athletes

It is gonna take years for all this to get sorted and there will likely be multiple new leas passed overtime to close loopholes. But just understand NIL is not some simple blanket term and applies somewhat differently in different states. This will likely lead to some interesting moves in the portal over the next few years until things normalize. One Huge advantage TN has over a lot of States is we are one of 8 that has no state income tax. Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

We need to repeal that effing law. Bloodsucking government has no business regulating that
it's not A law it's a bunch of laws (state and looking like an upcoming fed law)and policy (NCAA). if a federal law is passed that makes life easier for all as some states don't have one and it gives at least a framework to hold the NCAA to. This is in my opinion not a place for politics but it's impossible to avoid in this case. In my opinion, I feel comfortable saying that I would rather the feds mandate NIL than states who have a vested interest (taxes) and especially the NCAA. No matter how much one hates big government the NCAA is way worse in the way it moves. Now the Feds have their hands in the tax pie also but they are not competing with other states. This in my mind makes them the lesser of 3 evils. I really don't want to get political about this but it's almost impossible since it's about laws.. but can we at least keep it on-topic?

it's not A law it's a bunch of laws (state and looking like an upcoming fed law)and policy (NCAA). if a federal law is passed that makes life easier for all as some states don't have one and it gives at least a framework to hold the NCAA to. This is in my opinion not a place for politics but it's impossible to avoid in this case. In my opinion, I feel comfortable saying that I would rather the feds mandate NIL than states who have a vested interest (taxes) and especially the NCAA. No matter how much one hates big government the NCAA is way worse in the way it moves. Now the Feds have their hands in the tax pie also but they are not competing with other states. This in my mind makes them the lesser of 3 evils. I really don't want to get political about this but it's almost impossible since it's about laws.. but can we at least keep it on-topic?
At this point it’s still Tennessee state government effing our football team for no good reason. It should end. There’s no valid interest in regulating it. It’s completely on topic because it’s relevant to our ability to compete via NIL. I take it you are someone who doesn’t object to the government mucking about in things that don’t concern them

At this point it’s still Tennessee state government effing our football team for no good reason. It should end. There’s no valid interest in regulating it. It’s completely on topic because it’s relevant to our ability to compete via NIL. I take it you are someone who doesn’t object to the government mucking about in things that don’t concern them
If you don’t have a state law, the school makes the rules.

So we still give scholarships when players take NIL money? College football is ruined Thanks to ESPN,NCAA and gambling, I’m so glad I got to experience this great game when it meant something and players were loyal to their school. Winning means nothing when you cheat the system.

I'm still waiting to hear from a VN member who is part of the marketing department for a large enterprise on their strategy with regards to NIL. How are they planning and preparing to engage college athletes into their marketing campains? What are some of the key legal considerations when putting together a deal?

Given UT's very poor results over the last 10+ years running a football program, I have little confidence they can manage this new NIL dynamic without falling farther behind. Danny White is the X factor and he at least seems competent. The question is, does he have full support from all the major players pulling in the same direction. We'll see.

Actually my feelings about the politics are irrelevant to this discussion. There is what is and that's what this tread is about. Before going off on a uninformed tangent based on political beliefs how about find out what the actual law is? Most people just throw the term NIL around with zero understanding of what it is. I admittedly don't fully understand the full extent of it all as it's a fairly complex situation. In fact safe to say very few if any people fully understand it because at this point it's just words on paper.

Also from the little research I have done, it seems that in the grand scheme TN has very good laws on the NIL specifically because they mostly protect the athletes by keeping the coaches and schools somewhat separated from it all. Some other states have more open ended ones but it is likely to lead to some bad situations. There is a reason there are some seemingly questionable entries in the transfer portal by guys in "good" situations from schools the seem like good destinations. We are seeing schools having huge attrition. Watching where those high profile guys land will give a big clue on what states have "friendly" laws. This is just my observation but it's based on me doing a lot of painful reading of NIL laws in many states and watching the portal. We just got a high profile transfer in fact...just saying.

Reactions: KptVFL
As an aside TN also has two other big factors as a state on it's side. Cost of living and lack of state income tax. As an example an NIL deal for 500k at say UCLA is gonna actually in reality be worth less than one for 200k in Knoxville.

I see a lot of threads where people casually mention NIL as if it's one simple thing. It is not. Most states have their own NIL laws. Some are wildly different than others. In cases where the state does not have one, they go by the default NCAA NIL policy

TN Tennessee NIL Law for NCAA - Spry
important part for TN is
(i) An institution, or an officer, director, or employee of the institution may not be involved in the development, operation, or promotion of a current or prospective intercollegiate athlete’s name, image, or likeness, including actions that compensate or cause compensation to be provided to athletes.

Some states have this rule others allow University/Booster involvement to differing extents.

This lead to the founding of Spyre in TN and similar groups in other states are forming. New partnership aims at maximizing NIL for Tennessee athletes

It is gonna take years for all this to get sorted and there will likely be multiple new leas passed overtime to close loopholes. But just understand NIL is not some simple blanket term and applies somewhat differently in different states. This will likely lead to some interesting moves in the portal over the next few years until things normalize. One Huge advantage TN has over a lot of States is we are one of 8 that has no state income tax. Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

200w.gif

How exactly? The Tennessee law mostly looks like the law in other states.
No state government has any business regulating this. Why on earth should state legislatures be concerning themselves with how college football players are paid ( aside from preventing the use of state dollars ). The State shouldn’t have the right or desire to regulate how an individual wishes to profit off of their “brand”. As long as State or Federal funds are not being misappropriated then I don’t see a valid reason for the state to interject itself. I don’t care if every other state in the country is doing it, that doesn’t make it right. It’s government overreach.

Actually my feelings about the politics are irrelevant to this discussion. There is what is and that's what this tread is about. Before going off on a uninformed tangent based on political beliefs how about find out what the actual law is? Most people just throw the term NIL around with zero understanding of what it is. I admittedly don't fully understand the full extent of it all as it's a fairly complex situation. In fact safe to say very few if any people fully understand it because at this point it's just words on paper.

Also from the little research I have done, it seems that in the grand scheme TN has very good laws on the NIL specifically because they mostly protect the athletes by keeping the coaches and schools somewhat separated from it all. Some other states have more open ended ones but it is likely to lead to some bad situations. There is a reason there are some seemingly questionable entries in the transfer portal by guys in "good" situations from schools the seem like good destinations. We are seeing schools having huge attrition. Watching where those high profile guys land will give a big clue on what states have "friendly" laws. This is just my observation but it's based on me doing a lot of painful reading of NIL laws in many states and watching the portal. We just got a high profile transfer in fact...just saying.
I don’t care what the law is. My entire position is that there shouldn’t be a law regulating how an adult is compensated for his “brand”. It’s not a valid state interest so long as state aren’t being incorrectly used.

No state government has any business regulating this. Why on earth should state legislatures be concerning themselves with how college football players are paid ( aside from preventing the use of state dollars ). The State shouldn’t have the right or desire to regulate how an individual wishes to profit off of their “brand”. As long as State or Federal funds are not being misappropriated then I don’t see a valid reason for the state to interject itself. I don’t care if every other state in the country is doing it, that doesn’t make it right. It’s government overreach.
The valid reason is states trying to get out in front of NCAA or Federal regulation by imposing their own rules first. It's a race to make sure you've got the most NIL friendly environment possible.

Swain came out the gate at 7 am this morning saying he's been allowed to correct your assumptions about UT NIL. He said there are multiple (as in many) players making 6 figures on this team, and other peoples money is not your business. When swain goes out of his way like that he is usually correct.

This is the second time he has gone out of his way to emphasis UT players are making coin.

The valid reason is states trying to get out in front of NCAA or Federal regulation by imposing their own rules first. It's a race to make sure you've got the most NIL friendly environment possible.
What is a valid reason that would compel the Federal Government to get involved?

VN Store

Back