Kellie Harper press interview

Thank goodness we have a coach who enjoys her players and so obviously enjoys having fun WITH them -- and them with her. Kellie values and loves and lifts up her players in press conferences instead of snarling and ridiculing and complaining about how lacking in ability they are.

I have wondered lately if either of the players who chose to transfer after Kellie was hired ever wonder if they made the right decision. Though I completely understand why they wanted to leave, it sure seems like Kellie's team is experiencing a lot more joy than their teams are these days.

Thank goodness we have a coach who enjoys her players and so obviously enjoys having fun WITH them -- and them with her. Kellie values and loves and lifts up her players in press conferences instead of snarling and ridiculing and complaining about how lacking in ability they are.

I have wondered lately if either of the players who chose to transfer after Kellie was hired ever wonder if they made the right decision. Though I completely understand why they wanted to leave, it sure seems like Kellie's team is experiencing a lot more joy than their teams are these days.
Agree 100% with the sentiments in the first paragraph. I also have wondered about the players who transferred, especially Mimi Collins. The current team certainly would have benefitted greatly with Collins. Nevertheless, the team moved on and has flourished and I am grateful for that. This LVs team is special and still has plenty of noise to make. GBO.

I think I detect a good bit more strain and fatigue in Kellie's face.. Pressure must be mounting (self imposed) at this point.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think I detect a good bit more strain and fatigue in Kellie's face.. Pressure must be mounting (self imposed) at this point.

I hope to put your mind at ease by suggesting what you may actually be detecting is that Kellie doesn’t always wear makeup to the arena on non-game days. :) She’s fine. Nothing a hurried splash of foundation wouldn’t fix.

I hope to put your mind at ease by suggesting what you may actually be detecting is that Kellie doesn’t always wear makeup to the arena on non-game days. :) She’s fine.

No I notice things like makeup most always and appreciate it's use when well applied. I draw lots of faces. (hoppy) and there just seems to me to be an unnatural tenseness of late in her face. Hope not. I think things are going pretty well.

Agree 100% with the sentiments in the first paragraph. I also have wondered about the players who transferred, especially Mimi Collins. The current team certainly would have benefitted greatly with Collins. Nevertheless, the team moved on and has flourished and I am grateful for that. This LVs team is special and still has plenty of noise to make. GBO.

Collins specifically would’ve had so much room to develop her all around game under Kellie. She’d be better than she currently is tbh.

she'd also be part of the log jam that is power forward

And I sure wouldn’t want anyone on our current roster to have chosen to go somewhere else because of that. I’m really, REALLY happy with the chemistry on this team.

I actually wasn’t suggesting in my OP that I wish they had stayed. I was just saying that I have been wondering lately if THEY ever wonder if they should have stayed. They could be blissfully happy where they are for all I know. I hope so, anyway. These kids will never be this young and as full of energy and promise as they are right now, so I do hope so. 😀

No I notice things like makeup most always and appreciate it's use when well applied. I draw lots of faces. (hoppy) and there just seems to me to be an unnatural tenseness of late in her face. Hope not. I think things are going pretty well.
Were those "happy" faces, or hoppy (beer) faces?

Being an experienced coach, she controls everything that she can control. So I'm guessing the most likely reason for added stress right now would be the unique basketball problem she has little control over: omicron-affected games and gameday rosters.

I don't know how many times a day the staff & team are getting tested, but living under that kind of "everything could go down the toilet" with the next batch of test results can only be made more stressful when your team is improving, producing success, and on-track to peak at tourney time for a special season ahead of schedule.
------
I had not had time to play the interview when I wrote the above. After seeing it, and her breath changes and body language (not to get too invasive, here) I'd say confidently that the threat of COVID protocols is her most "felt" concern.

Last edited:

And, just speaking generically, maybe the enjoyable relationships and conditions would not exist the way they do if the current roster was different. Kellie's player choices could be just as much a part of the recipe.

Kellie is 44 years old. Even for a "beauty," people do start showing age lines and so on.

Last edited:

Maybe you are confusing "unnatural tenseness" with "natural intensity".

I don't know how many times a day the staff & team are getting tested, but living under that kind of "everything could go down the toilet" with the next batch of test results can only be made more stressful when your team is improving, producing success, and on-track to peak at tourney time for a special season ahead of schedule.

Good point. Now is the time we want to play, as we are playing really well. Strike while the proverbial iron is hot.

I’m so happy Kellie is thriving here under the enormous expectations of Pat’s shadow. It’s a bit like if Peyton coached the football team. She’s strikes me as so genuine, down to earth, and so similar to Pat. Her demeanor and style will continue to entice THE RIGHT type of top players to Rocky Top.

Were those "happy" faces, or hoppy (beer) faces?

Being an experienced coach, she controls everything that she can control. So I'm guessing the most likely reason for added stress right now would be the unique basketball problem she has little control over: omicron-affected games and gameday rosters.

------
I had not had time to play the interview when I wrote the above. After seeing it, and her breath changes and body language (not to get too invasive, here) I'd say confidently that the threat of COVID protocols is her most "felt" concern.
sorry!! meant "it's a hobby":rolleyes:

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think Kellie is having a blast. I think the coaching staff is having a blast, the players are having a blast, I am for sure enjoying this year. It was unexpected after Burrell was injured.
you can read here and see the rising positivity within the program and the fan base.

VN Store

Back