Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if this could be an option, he played at Brentwood.

Isn't his dad a coach at Cal? I'm surprised that more of the Cal staff and players aren't leaving after the s***show they went through this year with Covid, but if his dad is still there I bet that's where he goes. Wilcox and his staff almost ended up at UW, maybe the kid liked the idea too much.

Peter Sirmon - Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers/Recruiting Coordinator - Staff Directory - California Golden Bears Athletics

1gzf5o.gif

I'm thinking $10 mil in retirement is the goal so I can't drop to 20 hours a week anytime soon....
I’m going for $5 million. I can take out $250,000 a year and never touch the principal balance as long as the account makes a 5% return every year (prettty small and doable). Also, receive social security, dividends, interest, gains, etc. I doubt I could even spend 300k a year in retirement (hopefully no debt by then) so I can reinvestment a lot of money every year too.

I just left a Quality position at a chemical shipping company because I couldn’t live on the pay. Went back to a restaurant I worked at in college, which I can easily live on. But they don’t offer insurance or 401k’s. So I don’t really have the option right now. However, I need insurance by July 30th when I turn 26, so I’ll hopefully be back in the corporate work force by then. I’m just holding out to find a work from home job for the reasons I stated before. I’d rather not start a career job and have to quit because I’m moving out of state in a year anyways.
Jack is tellling you right. For any amount, you can open an IRA at someplace like Schwab or Fidelity online and buy an equal amount of an index fund every month. If it's going up, you win. If it's going down, it's on sale: you win. This is most important for people who do NOT have a company plan and are not out there talking about millions. The reason is the compounding you will get over time. $100 a month at your age will absolutely crush $1000 a month invested at 50. It's maths. If $100 a month is too much, start with $50 or $10. Just set a regular minimum and never miss your deposit. You can put the deposit and even the purchase on auto. You will never have to touch it, except when you want to increase the amount.

Last edited:
Jack is tellling you right. For any amount, you can open an IRA at someplace like Schwab or Fidelity online and buy an equal amount of an index fund every month. If it's going up, you win. If it's going down, it's on sale: you win. This is most important for people who do NOT have a company plan. The reason is the compounding you will get over time. $100 a month at your age will absolutely crush $1000 a month invested at 50. It's maths. If $100 a month is too much, start with $50 or $10. Just set a regular minimum and never miss your deposit. You can put the deposit and even the purchase on auto. You will never have to touch it, except when you want to increase the amount.
Put it in a Roth too. Tax free growth and tax free when taken out.

Put it in a Roth too. Tax free growth and tax free when taken out.

Roths are my favorite. We should all aspire to be like the creator of PayPal. In 1999, in his Roth account he bought shares in PayPal. His Roth is now worth $5 Billion and the government can’t touch it. They are literally trying to change legislation so he would have to take most of it out and pay taxes.

Peter Thiel turned his Roth IRA into a pot of gold. You can too, but tread carefully

Roths are my favorite. We should all aspire to be like the creator of PayPal. In 1999, in his Roth account he bought shares in PayPal. His Roth is now worth $5 Billion and the government can’t touch it. They are literally trying to change legislation so he would have to take most of it out and pay taxes.

Peter Thiel turned his Roth IRA into a pot of gold. You can too, but tread carefully
Yep! They can’t stand not taxing everything. They want to tax Roth’s and get rid of your traditional 401k deduction. Absolute insanity and would be double taxation. I did a back door Roth this year and plan to continue doing one every year so that my funds are not taxable in retirement.

Yep! They can’t stand not taxing everything. They want to tax Roth’s and get rid of your traditional 401k deduction. Absolute insanity and would be double taxation. I did a back door Roth this year and plan to continue doing one every year so that my funds are not taxable in retirement.
Doug Roth approves the Roth. Not sure the back door though

OM mods say they could go after Steele as DC. Think Rodney Garner would entertain going since they’re close.

Also said Rodney wants to transition to an off field role.

Jack is tellling you right. For any amount, you can open an IRA at someplace like Schwab or Fidelity online and buy an equal amount of an index fund every month. If it's going up, you win. If it's going down, it's on sale: you win. This is most important for people who do NOT have a company plan and are not out there talking about millions. The reason is the compounding you will get over time. $100 a month at your age will absolutely crush $1000 a month invested at 50. It's maths. If $100 a month is too much, start with $50 or $10. Just set a regular minimum and never miss your deposit. You can put the deposit and even the purchase on auto. You will never have to touch it, except when you want to increase the amount.
I started doing this at my current job. 5% every paycheck goes into a 401k. My company matches 1:1 up to 3 and .5% up to 4. So basically 9% every two weeks.

I just left a Quality position at a chemical shipping company because I couldn’t live on the pay. Went back to a restaurant I worked at in college, which I can easily live on. But they don’t offer insurance or 401k’s. So I don’t really have the option right now. However, I need insurance by July 30th when I turn 26, so I’ll hopefully be back in the corporate work force by then. I’m just holding out to find a work from home job for the reasons I stated before. I’d rather not start a career job and have to quit because I’m moving out of state in a year anyways.
Weren't you driving for Amazon not too long ago?

Reactions: VolNash17
Another idea (not mine) on increasing parity - outside of giving them 5 years to play and hoping grown, developed 23 YOs would increase parity:

"
Regarding roster size - one way to increase parity would be to have a gameday roster separate from your 85. For example, a 53 man roster like the NFL.

Teams would have to be judicious with their selections. An injury or two and Bama may not have that 4th 5-star guy available on the bench. That will bring them back down to earth quick on gameday. You can still have 85 on the team, but just not available on gameday. That way if someone goes down with a season ending injury on week 2, you can still replace him with someone from the 85 for the rest of the year.

When choosing schools, players would then have to weigh the pros and cons of where to sign based on the chances of being in that gameday 53. A kid might have to decide whether it would be better to be on the inactive list at Bama or be on the gameday squad at Tennessee. That would trickle more talent down the college football ranks"

OM mods say they could go after Steele as DC. Think Rodney Garner would entertain going since they’re close.

Also said Rodney wants to transition to an off field role.

This kind of stuff is the reason I don’t want the coaching carousel to open back up. You just never know which chain of dominoes will be the one that affects your program.

I started doing this at my current job. 5% every paycheck goes into a 401k. My company matches 1:1 up to 3 and .5% up to 4. So basically 9% every two weeks.
Old job had a 2:1 match which was nice. But they didn't pay a lot either...

Still had people that wouldn't put in their 5%. Some people hate free money.

Reactions: CABVOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back