Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. I’ve never felt more flat and unmotivated than the last couple years after graduating college with not having any real goals or career aspirations. Yeah, I hold a job to pay my bills but it’s just a job right now. You need goals and ambitions to stay happy.

I can give you a different view of what you should do for a career. Don't listen to all the advice about just do what you love to do and everything will take care of itself. That is terrible advice.

Most successful people have two or three different jobs/careers. (the exception is doctors/lawyers/highly trained tech people and many of them also switch) And some, such as me switch sectors of the economy more than once.

What I suggest you do is figure out HOW TO MAKE MONEY. If you do that and stick with it you will do fine. You may have to do some things you don't like while you figure it out but life has a funny way of giving you opportunities. Once you become skilled and competent you will have your choice of high paying jobs or businesses you can start or buy. Wealthy people value competence and integrity first, they will even pay you while they train you once you show them what you are about. All of my career moves and most of my change of industries were unplanned the result of being lucky and in the right place at the right time.

As you get older you may find that you enjoy and are good at things you would never have dreamed of doing.

Is it not possible to be a capitalist and still understand that you gotta keep the 99% fed and watered or eventually revolutions happen and a lotta folks lose their head...literally.

True capitalist understand this. There are those that will try to make a profit by cutting corners but they generally don't last long. They have safety or quality issues and eventually fail. True capitalists know that they must invest capital in their businesses and that includes their people.

Where did I say I was pretending otherwise? And saying something doesn’t “bode well” doesn’t mean it’s an ironclad indictment of future failure, just that they were not positive indicators of success at that point in time. Which they werent. (I also never said they didn’t “bode well” just that they weren’t inspiring, which again, they weren’t)

I have no problem admitting those signs didnt end up being as foreboding as they seemed at the time, I’m happy they didn’t, but to act all high and mighty with hindsight is some weird grandstanding with which some on this board are so weirdly obsessed.
“High and mighty” huh? 😏 They ended up being a nothing sandwich…not foreboding at all. We all live with our wrong differently. Some admit some project.

I can give you a different view of what you should do for a career. Don't listen to all the advice about just do what you love to do and everything will take care of itself. That is terrible advice.

Most successful people have two or three different jobs/careers. (the exception is doctors/lawyers/highly trained tech people and many of them also switch) And some, such as me switch sectors of the economy more than once.

What I suggest you do is figure out HOW TO MAKE MONEY. If you do that and stick with it you will do fine. You may have to do some things you don't like while you figure it out but life has a funny way of giving you opportunities. Once you become skilled and competent you will have your choice of high paying jobs or businesses you can start or buy. Wealthy people value competence and integrity first, they will even pay you while they train you once you show them what you are about. All of my career moves and most of my change of industries were unplanned the result of being lucky and in the right place at the right time.

As you get older you may find that you enjoy and are good at things you would never have dreamed of doing.
Yeah, my dad was a lot like me but without the degree. Didn’t have any real interests or passions that were easily monetized. Wound up working in medical device radiation and loved it. Makes more money than 99% of the country, too. And that began as him being a floor worker loading boxes on the factory side of that same company.

I see your Off answer and raise you our Def answer in my avi !

AccuratePerfumedConure-size_restricted.gif

No matter how small I encourage you to put something into retirement each paycheck. So whatever vehicle is available through your employment is a good place to start 403(b) or 401(k). Roth IRA is great too. Just pick a blue chip index or total market index and let it invest automatically. Time in the market is better than timing the market. You’ll thank yourself in 20 years.
I just left a Quality position at a chemical shipping company because I couldn’t live on the pay. Went back to a restaurant I worked at in college, which I can easily live on. But they don’t offer insurance or 401k’s. So I don’t really have the option right now. However, I need insurance by July 30th when I turn 26, so I’ll hopefully be back in the corporate work force by then. I’m just holding out to find a work from home job for the reasons I stated before. I’d rather not start a career job and have to quit because I’m moving out of state in a year anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back