16 team playoff

sunnyvol79

Tennessee Vol till I die
I think with so many players opting out of the bowl games and let’s face it some of these bowls are pretty meaningless if your team isn’t in the playoff. I believe it’s time to expand it to 16 teams and play 11 regular season games instead of 12. What do you guys think? I wouldn’t want to go to more than 16 teams though.

Reactions: Volunteer16
8 teams is the sweet spot I think. All P5 conference champions get an automatic bid, highest rated G5 conference champion gets another spot, then one P5 at-large bid and one G5 at-large bid.

Reactions: CaliVol2009
8 teams is the sweet spot I think. All P5 conference champions get an automatic bid, highest rated G5 conference champion gets another spot, then one P5 at-large bid and one G5 at-large bid.

8 is a good number but no on the automatic bids for conference champions and G-5 schools. Take the 8 best teams.

Where would the rounds of 8 and/or 16 be played?
Hopefully home sites. That’s one of the biggest reasons I’msuch an advocate for an expanded CFP. Some people argue that expanding the CFP lessens the value of the regular season. I feel the opposite. There would be more important games played later in the season as teams would try and jockey for one of those hosting spots. I’m in favor of the 12 team model bc you reward the top 4 teams with a bye and then 4-8 host 9-12. The only thing I’d change would be the quarterfinals being at the home fields of the top 4 seeds.

Reactions: sunnyvol79
I think strength of schedule (real, post season SoS based on end of year results vs based on forecasted strength of competition at the time you play them) has to be the prevailing metric in determining who gets in. Otherwise, it will be dominated by the best team in otherwise weak schedules. It is a lot different getting to play Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky (most years), Florida (recent years) and some OOC teams each year....or getting to play Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska and Maryland...etc.

I was looking at next year's schedules of teams and there is a fellow SEC team that plays the following schedule next year. They will likely have a losing season, but if they managed to go 9-3 against this schedule, then I would argue they should be in a 8 team playoff. They would not though...because they are not Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc.

Arkansas schedule - Top Teams (based on this year's rankings):
Alabama
Cincinnati (playoff team)
Ole Miss
BYU
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Auburn
Liberty
LSU

Of course they also get to play some weak SEC East teams: South Carolina and Missouri

I think strength of schedule (real, post season SoS based on end of year results vs based on forecasted strength of competition at the time you play them) has to be the prevailing metric in determining who gets in. Otherwise, it will be dominated by the best team in otherwise weak schedules. It is a lot different getting to play Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky (most years), Florida (recent years) and some OOC teams each year....or getting to play Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, Nebraska and Maryland...etc.

I was looking at next year's schedules of teams and there is a fellow SEC team that plays the following schedule next year. They will likely have a losing season, but if they managed to go 9-3 against this schedule, then I would argue they should be in a 8 team playoff. They would not though...because they are not Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc.

Alabama
Ole Miss
BYU
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Auburn
Liberty
LSU

Of course they also get to play some weak SEC East teams: South Carolina and Missouri
your post pretty much sums up why 4, 8,or 16 team playoffs will be/are F upped.
Unless they burn the whole thing down and rebuild it from the ground up .
Unless it’s structured like NFL, NBA , MLB and your win/loss record determines who “gets in” its BS.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

Alabama
Ole Miss
BYU
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Auburn
Liberty
LSU

I WOULD NOT base strength of competition (SOS) at the time you play them. That would have to be at end of season; that would show the "actual" strength of that team. Many teams that are ranked high at the beginning of the year turn out to be "duds."

So no reward for winning your conference? Ok then why have conferences then?

I wasn’t going to go down this rabbit hole since it felt like a different topic, but I kinda agree with this. If an independent school doesn’t have to play a conference championship game, but a conference team does, do you really count the championship game or not? Example: Let’s imagine Tennessee is 11-1 and Notre Dame is 11-1, both competing for the final spot in the playoffs. Tennessee loses the SEC championship game to sit at 11-2. Does Notre Dame jump Tennessee by virtue of not having to play an additional game? Or do you ignore the second loss by Tennessee and put them in?

I know it’s a make believe scenario, but if you just flat out say “the 8 best teams,” then there’s little reason to be in a conference or play that extra game when other teams don’t have to.

Why should a 9 regular season win Pac-12 conference champion or 10 win (RS) Big 12 champion get in the playoffs over an 11 win SEC or Big 10 team? And yes it's possible to be 11-1 in the SEC or Big 10 and not be in the conference championship game. Why wouldn't we want the best teams in playoffs?

8 is a good number but no on the automatic bids for conference champions and G-5 schools. Take the 8 best teams.

Why should a 9 regular season win Pac-12 conference champion or 10 win (RS) Big 12 champion get in the playoffs over an 11 win SEC or Big 10 team? And yes it's possible to be 11-1 in the SEC or Big 10 and not be in the conference championship game. Why wouldn't we want the best teams in playoffs?

Again I will ask, why have conferences then? A conference champ cannot help how strong or weak the conference is. How can you say the 11-1 SEC team is just automatically better than the 9 win PAC-12 team? You can’t. Using your logic the conference championship means nothing and should be eliminated.

So also using your logic, teams that play absolutely nobody should be considered for the playoffs. Say Coastal Carolina goes undefeated and blows every team out it plays. Yet you have 10-2 USC conference champ. How does CC deserve to be put in above USC?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I wasn’t going to go down this rabbit hole since it felt like a different topic, but I kinda agree with this. If an independent school doesn’t have to play a conference championship game, but a conference team does, do you really count the championship game or not? Example: Let’s imagine Tennessee is 11-1 and Notre Dame is 11-1, both competing for the final spot in the playoffs. Tennessee loses the SEC championship game to sit at 11-2. Does Notre Dame jump Tennessee by virtue of not having to play an additional game? Or do you ignore the second loss by Tennessee and put them in?

I know it’s a make believe scenario, but if you just flat out say “the 8 best teams,” then there’s little reason to be in a conference or play that extra game when other teams don’t have to.

That’s the point. If you aren’t gonna say the conference champ gets in then what’s the use of having them?

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
That’s the point. If you aren’t gonna say the conference champ gets in then what’s the use of having them?

To play devils advocate, if you tell these independent schools they have to be in a conference to be considered for a playoff spot, then I don’t really have a problem with saying you take the 8 best teams. But of course how you determine that is a whole other ball game.

Again I will ask, why have conferences then? A conference champ cannot help how strong or weak the conference is. How can you say the 11-1 SEC team is just automatically better than the 9 win PAC-12 team? You can’t. Using your logic the conference championship means nothing and should be eliminated.

So also using your logic, teams that play absolutely nobody should be considered for the playoffs. Say Coastal Carolina goes undefeated and blows every team out it plays. Yet you have 10-2 USC conference champ. How does CC deserve to be put in above USC?

You're right I can't say an 11-1 SEC team is better than a 9-3 Pac 12 champion it was just the example. The Pac 12 team may be the better team and if that's the case I would want them in over an 11-1 SEC team.

If CC is better than the USC team I would want CC in.

If you want P-5 conference champions to have automatic bids to the playoffs then we need to work on scheduling. If P-5 teams could only play other P-5 teams then Ok let's give the conference champions an automatic bid.

What happens when CJ Stroud blows out his knee in the Big 10 title game and Ohio State finds a way to lose to 7-5 Northwestern team that has losses to Duke and Rice? There’s no way they should be allowed in a CFP.

I think with so many players opting out of the bowl games and let’s face it some of these bowls are pretty meaningless if your team isn’t in the playoff. I believe it’s time to expand it to 16 teams and play 11 regular season games instead of 12. What do you guys think? I wouldn’t want to go to more than 16 teams though.
Agreed 16 teams is perfect an 11 game season makes sense. But all conferences need to play 9 conference games and the 2 non con must be other P5 or G5 teams. Anyone scheduling an FCS team gets a loss.

4 home conference games and 3- 4 nonconference home games is a poor season ticket package.
That is why I let my tickets go.
P5 should play all P5 schedule.
P5 should play a game each year from each of the other 4 conferences.
Seed the ooc games on the last 5 years records.
Top 4 rated champions to the play offs.
Make college football national in scope.

Nope. Average margin of victory in the CFP is already almost 21. More losers in will not help the issue. Its just going to make the remaining bowl games even more meaningless. And it guarantees a 9-3 bama gets in.

Something’s gotta give, go back to the old bowl system before BCS existed or go to some kind of tournament, but the current system isn’t working.

Something’s gotta give, go back to the old bowl system before BCS existed or go to some kind of tournament, but the current system isn’t working.
There never needed to be a BCS. The only issue with the bowl system pre-BCS was that the B10 and P10 champ had to go to the Rose Bowl. So you had years like 91, 94, and 97 where you had split champions or a team, like 94 Penn state, that got shut out completely. All that was needed was a plus one game.

VN Store

Back